Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Help me to choose the right coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
max785 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help me to choose the right coilovers

Hi , this summer I have planned to buy a set of coilovers for my 01 civic . I don't know if I should go lower then 2'' because I have a mugen lip . At the moment my car is on 205/55/16 . I don't know if this is too big . Can you please help me with that and what model and brand I should take . Thank !
Old 04-19-2012
My favorite TV shows are JDM. My Honda isn't...

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough
Re: Help me to choose the right coilovers

I'm lowering on coilovers soon also with 215/45 tires. I'm not sure if you'll encounter rubbing issues with the tire wall thickness, but the width is definitely going to clear. I plan on dropping slightly less than 2" and people have told me I should have no rubbing issues.

I went the cheap route and bought some of Tein's new Street Basis, but if you're willing to spend a bit more, go for the Street Advance or the Skunk2 Pro-S II. If you have lots of money to blow, I hear excellent things about Progress Coilovers and high-end Skunk2 products.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It depends on your goals and budget for the car, need more information to provide a good advice.

Skunk2 makes terrible coilovers.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

I want my suspension to be less bouncy then the oem one , also for the look and maybe better handling. about 800 to 1k maybe a liltle more, but if I can get something good for less it would be nice .
Old 04-19-2012

krudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the roughkrudmuphin is a jewel in the rough

All coilovers are going to be stiffer, less bouncy, and improve your appearance and handling greatly from OEM, guaranteed.

Last edited by krudmuphin; 04-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Not ALL coilovers will be less bouncy, all good coilovers are not, Racelands are bouncy.

If you're looking for something more performance oriented, I'd recommend koni or d-spec with ground control sleeves. If you just want to lower your car and have a nice ride then Progress.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

Then, is there any good models in this range of price ? it's not for track it's a daily car so :P
Old 04-19-2012

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Skunk2 makes terrible coilovers.
*noted. Good thing I'm not getting them. I have numerous friends praising them though. Maybe they're complete idiots, I dunno, haha.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by max785
Then, is there any good models in this range of price ? it's not for track it's a daily car so :P
Koni Yellow/GC - spec the springs to match how long you plan on riding.
Tokico D-spec/GC -same as above. They're easier to install but a bit more expensive.
Progress CS-II - not dampening adjustable, but ride nice and go low. Made by the same company who produces TRD products for Toyota.

Originally Posted by krudmuphin
*noted. Good thing I'm not getting them. I have numerous friends praising them though. Maybe they're complete idiots, I dunno, haha.
It's just a phase in modifying cars, years ago it was fiberglass bodykits, before that it was cut springs and pipes welded over struts to completely stiffen the rear of a car. The common theme is that the modifications are cheap and actually detract from performance overall, but people don't have a good understanding of suspensions or whatever they're doing so they go with it. Go into the early days of the forum and look at pictures, you'll see that people were modifying cars in a completely different way at that point.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

people told me that Progress coilovers were not really good . Maybe tein basic ? How low Koni Yellow/GCcan go ?

Last edited by max785; 04-19-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

what.

Progress coilovers are one of the most well respected under $1000 for any chassis.

Tein Basics were terrible, really hurt Teins reputation, they've redesigned them and released a street basis model. I haven't heard much feedback on them yet, but they sound like they'll be good. krudmuphin is getting a set.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

ok then ima go with Koni Yellow/GC. How low can they go ?
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Depends on the springs you spec the GCs with. In theory, 4.5". The frame would be touching the ground at that point.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

But i'm not suppose to drop more then 1.5'' with them .
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

You can easily go 2.5" with GCs, but if you spec shorter springs you can go another 1" lower, then another 1" beyond that by cutting the hats.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

I read that the koni will broke before a year by lowering at that low. Is it true ?
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

No, Koni Yellows can handle extreme drops. I think you're confusing Koni Yellow with Koni STR, which would blow if you dropped very low.

OBK has been lowered on a modified KY/GC setup for years.
Name:  6349630550_edfa4e9c6e.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

damn ! nice car How much is it for both ?
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

$850-900..
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

BoostedLsvtec will become famous soon enoughBoostedLsvtec will become famous soon enough

im on skunk2 pro series s v2 they are awesome super stiff and handle amazing!.
Name:  578060_10151560317675187_590345186_23982382_334177960_n.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  97.0 KB
Name:  36636_10151560292185187_590345186_23982292_370145193_n.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  160.6 KB
Old 04-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Are Koni yellows far superior to Tokico D spec? Or is the quality about the same? It seems Tokico renamed them "HTS" for 03-05 model years.
Old 04-19-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough

I've only heard good things from people that went progress. I would love a set of those but too expensive at this point.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Originally Posted by BlueEM2
Are Koni yellows far superior to Tokico D spec? Or is the quality about the same? It seems Tokico renamed them "HTS" for 03-05 model years.
I'd say they're comparable, but not quite as durable.

There's a reason almost all amature racers use race valved koni yellows.
Old 04-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok that's what I wanted to know. It's too bad they don't come complete with the assembly.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Lots of people choose D-specs over Yellows because of the assembly, but it doesn't seem that bad.
Old 04-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Koni needs to get with it and build it direct fit ... It's been 12 years since this car came out like come on. I love their shocks but I'd go with the D spec because of this.
Old 04-19-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I wonder how much the price would increase if Koni were too make it a bolt in part, that's probably what's holding them back... imo
Old 04-19-2012
Whachya lookin at?

I understand that but they are losing sales... On the other hand some accountant that knows a lot more than me has probably ran the numbers and realized that it wouldn't pay off
Old 04-20-2012
CO&CA

TFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the roughTFMEX is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by BoostedLsvtec
im on skunk2 pro series s v2 they are awesome super stiff and handle amazing!.

I am ALSO on Skunk2 Pros V2 and they are great. Stiff, not bouncy and easy to adjust. I love them.... They are also decent quality and sturdy. I have seen full coils that look and feel like tin foil the Skunk 2's do not.

Name:  photo3-6.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  221.2 KB
Old 04-20-2012
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I agree with Koni making a bolt in part for the front I'd be willing to pay a bit more to avoid using the stock strut housing....but until then, I'm going with the HTS/D-Spec struts with my GC's

Quick Reply: Help me to choose the right coilovers