Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

02 Honda Civic Sedan Suspension Drop Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arokz89 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Honda Civic Sedan Suspension Drop Advice

First time Honda Owner, so pretty new to this whole Honda Scene. I wanted to drop my civic just a bit, maybe an inch. Was wondering what would be the cheapest route but the right way of doing it?

Do I just buy Eibach Coils and keep OEM Shocks or do i also need to upgrade to some KYB AGX shocks for an inch drop?

Also i know that the camber will change a degree per inch, which camber kit should I use?

Do I really need to add a sway bar for an inch drop?

Any Help would be appreciated!
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
Re: 02 Honda Civic Sedan Suspension Drop Advice

You don't need to add a sway bar. You probably don't need a camber kit either. My favorite setup for an inch drop on this forum has been gearbox's. I believe he was dropped on tokico blue struts with eibach prokit springs.
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

I'm going to have look into that post. let's see if I can find it.
thanks for the advice.
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

honestly after you get done installing all your parts and paying for alignment your not going to be satisfied with a one inch drop and your going to want it lower.i would save up for a fully adjustable setup like progress technology or ground control sleeves with koni shocks.
Old 02-22-2012
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ me, i have been on the prokit for years and do not plan to change it

shocks - not too much for the drop, but the strain of a stiffer spring. so, no, stocks might live, most of the cases not for long. keep them as spares anyway.
Old 02-22-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Tokico Blues/Eibach Prokit springs/alignment.

No camber kit or sway bar necessary.
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

I not worried about the cost of labor because I do all the work my self @ my pop's Automotive Shop, including Alignments. Just looking for a legit setup for my civic. If I don't add a camber kit how long do u think the tires will last!? Ohh and does anyone know of a website to purchase cheap honda parts?

Last edited by arokz89; 02-22-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-22-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arokz89
I not worried about the cost of labor because I do all the work my self @ my pop's Automotive Shop, including Alignments. Just looking for a legit setup for my civic. If I don't add a camber kit how long do u think the tires will last!? Ohh and does anyone know of a website to purchase cheap honda parts?
I had tokico blues and H&R springs for a year, a very comparable set-up to what you're considering, no camber kit and didn't have any issues with keeping the rear tires aligned properly. The spring rate and height don't exert enough force to cause issues.

Dezod is a great vendor. THMotorsports as well.
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Matt300 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mad props for Dezod. I also use procivic.com. Try not to get into "cheap" parts. You can go cheap on egg timers, kitchen stuff, etc. On a vehicle that hurtles you 60 MPH, cheap may not work out for you.

I used some cheap springs (came with the car when I bought my 05 LX), shocks lasted about 60k. I put in Tokico Blue HPs all around, and I was blown away. A few months back I finally got some decent springs (Tein S-Techs actually, bought from the Parts FS board here), and I hated myself for staying on those cheap springs. Car handles like a dream I think the back is about 1.5" drop on one end and slightly higher on the other, not sure about which is which. All I know is I don't fear speed bumps anymore!

I got a camber kit awhile back, one of my back wheels was wearing unevenly and the tire developed a bump that became audible while driving. It wasn't expensive at all, and if you've got access to an auto shop to help with the labor costs, I see no reason why you shouldn't do it. I use this car about 500-650mi a week, slamming turns, accelerating like crazy, etc, and not one problem with my tires ever since.

BTW, welcome to the boards! Hope to hear a lot more about your car!
Old 02-22-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Matt300
Mad props for Dezod. I also use procivic.com. Try not to get into "cheap" parts. You can go cheap on egg timers, kitchen stuff, etc. On a vehicle that hurtles you 60 MPH, cheap may not work out for you.

I used some cheap springs (came with the car when I bought my 05 LX), shocks lasted about 60k. I put in Tokico Blue HPs all around, and I was blown away. A few months back I finally got some decent springs (Tein S-Techs actually, bought from the Parts FS board here), and I hated myself for staying on those cheap springs. Car handles like a dream I think the back is about 1.5" drop on one end and slightly higher on the other, not sure about which is which. All I know is I don't fear speed bumps anymore!

I got a camber kit awhile back, one of my back wheels was wearing unevenly and the tire developed a bump that became audible while driving. It wasn't expensive at all, and if you've got access to an auto shop to help with the labor costs, I see no reason why you shouldn't do it. I use this car about 500-650mi a week, slamming turns, accelerating like crazy, etc, and not one problem with my tires ever since.

BTW, welcome to the boards! Hope to hear a lot more about your car!
Yeah, your right about the cheap parts,i think i'm going to the with the tokico blue struts & eibach prokit. thats seems to be the best option for me. now time to find these parts and apply what i've been recommended.
Old 03-12-2012
Registered!!

Steve0525 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep us posted I'd like to see the results as I'm kinda in the same boat,