Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Maximum load weight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lotsofscratches is an unknown quantity at this point
Maximum load weight?

Hi everyone,
New here but have been lurking for a while. This is a fantastic site. Just got an 02 sedan with (you guessed it) lots of scratches. But the thing runs great and I really like it.

Looks like I may be moving cross country very soon and would need to bring the car out. Was wondering what the maximum safe load would be on the car? Weight would be on a roof rack (Thule takes up to 125lbs), rear seat, trunk, and of course two humans. Anyone have the maximum the suspension would take?

Also will take advice on racks, methods of transporting stuff in such a small car, and of course advice on scenery to visit between NC and OR! Thanks,
Chris
Old 02-24-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Maximum load weight?

i think it says the exact weight on the sticker when you open the driver door. around 800 lbs i believe. these cars do not like being loaded down, i drove cross country 2000+ miles twice with the car packed first time with 3 people and a ton of stuff in the trunk, second time just me and the entire car packed with crap. its so slow and you have almost no acceleration, when i got back i needed an oil change and trans fluid change, and one of my tie rods wiggled loose. and now my suspension pops when i turn which i never figured out. prolly busted the strut mount bearing. but yeah it didnt take the trips very well at all. im not sure how much weight i had but i guess maybe it was too much.
Old 03-02-2009
Registered!!

lotsofscratches is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, gearbox. I figured that but I was hoping that if I evenly distributed the weight (roof rack, back seat) that I could avoid any major problems. Thanks again.
Old 03-03-2009
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it will tell you in the drivers side door sill what the maximum load the car is rated for.
Old 03-03-2009
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute

800 Lbs sounds about right but I have exceeded that on more then 1 occasion haha.

900 lb trailer with waverunner
570 lbs - 3 People
?? lbs trunk full of crap and an ice chest.

The car took it no problem but it defiantly didn’t have much power. With the new engine power isnt a problem anymore though lol.
Old 02-04-2010
Registered!!

ARUNMIDTURI is an unknown quantity at this point
Measurements of Roof of Honda Civic

Hi,
My name si Arun, I am designing a roof rack , for any car, but my faviourate is honda civic, with out human effort we can lift the weight and snow boards we can lift up to car roof.

i got some measuremenst of car from the honda civid car specifications sheet from the internet,
i am not able to get the dimensions of roof of the car dimensions, i.e (front driver mirror to back mirror dimensions)

i need this dimensions 9if u think it is a car
(-------------------------)
- -
--------- -------------

can any one tell this to me,
thank you

Last edited by ARUNMIDTURI; 02-04-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2010
Registered!!

tlilley is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Measurements of Roof of Honda Civic

Originally Posted by ARUNMIDTURI
i got some measuremenst of car from the honda civid car specifications sheet from the internet,
i am not able to get the dimensions of roof of the car dimensions, i.e (front driver mirror to back mirror dimensions)
I'm not sure what you mean by "back mirror," but deviantART has a scale drawing (blueprint) of a 1996 Honda Civic. You can take a single measurement from the Honda spec sheet, transfer it to the drawing, and take the rest off from there.
Old 04-05-2010
Registered!!

tlilley is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Measurements of Roof of Honda Civic

Oops. I didn't realize this was the "7th gen" forum (I ended up here from a Google search for 1996 Civic roof racks :-) )

Since posting the above answer, though, I've found a blueprints database (The-Blueprints.com), which has a over sixty Honda Civic blueprints, ranging from 1972(!) to 2008. Just search for "honda civic" there.