Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Ground Control Coilvers! Help! Can't Raise the Rear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rinasdaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Ground Control Coilvers! Help! Can't Raise the Rear!

I tried to get under my car yesterday to raise the rears and it seems like the springs are compressed in away that i can't adjust them up only down. Is there a way to solve this problem? Do i have to take the whole thing apart or what? I want to raise my car but the compressed spring will not allow me to

EDIT: By the way it's a 2004 Honda Civic Coupe!

Last edited by Rinasdaddy; 03-04-2008 at 11:06 PM.
Old 03-04-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Ground Control Coilvers! Help! Can't Raise the Rear!

try to jack it up and let the wheels hang and then rasie it.
Old 03-04-2008
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

yea man. what ^ said

ur suppoes to jack up ur car, and then adjsut it. you CANNOT do it form teh ground.

btw, its also advise to take off ur wheel...its alot easier.

also, take some brake cleaner n spray them to clean them. i always do.
Old 03-04-2008
Registered!!

LOL my car is jacked up. Whenever i jack up my car and attempt to adjust them i can't move them up only down because the spring is so tightly compressed
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

civicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond reputecivicsrcool has a reputation beyond repute

i got the same thing. i just force it up with the spanner wrench ( the C looking wrench) i raise the treads so much and the car barely got raised anything. rides a lot better though.
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by civicsrcool
i got the same thing. i just force it up with the spanner wrench ( the C looking wrench) i raise the treads so much and the car barely got raised anything. rides a lot better though.
Oh really? Well i guess i could try that...
Old 03-05-2008
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

i know GC's are supposed to have a small spring in the back...are you sure you got the correct spring installed?
Old 03-05-2008
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

ok ok ok...all you people are troubleshooting the wrong thing. When the car is lowered in the rear, the LCA adjusts. This puts constant pressure on the spring, even when the car is jacked up. Therefore, the rears for ANY coilovers are more difficult to adjust than the fronts for our cars. All he needs is a spanner wrench like civicsrcool said.
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by robbclark1
ok ok ok...all you people are troubleshooting the wrong thing. When the car is lowered in the rear, the LCA adjusts. This puts constant pressure on the spring, even when the car is jacked up. Therefore, the rears for ANY coilovers are more difficult to adjust than the fronts for our cars. All he needs is a spanner wrench like civicsrcool said.
Thanks for chiming in, what exactly is a spanner wrench though ? Got a link?
Old 03-05-2008

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.tein.com/products/wrench.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Tein-...spagenameZWDVW

Most types of coilover wrenches will do. Tein is just easy to find.
Old 03-05-2008
Registered!!

Do you actually need 2? Like will i have to use both of them at the same time? Also i only have the sleeved coilovers and it requires me to loosen the plate the springs sits on with a allen key, would i still have to loosen that up if i get a spanner wrench?
Old 03-05-2008

Originally Posted by Rinasdaddy
Do you actually need 2? Like will i have to use both of them at the same time? Also i only have the sleeved coilovers and it requires me to loosen the plate the springs sits on with a allen key, would i still have to loosen that up if i get a spanner wrench?
No you just need one.
Old 03-28-2008
Registered!!

4drcivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point

how are the ground control coilovers? i am interested..i have an 01 sedan lx.