Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

megan racing problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whiteboy87 is an unknown quantity at this point
megan racing problem

hey i've read into this but cant seem to get a straight answer, i have megan racing fully adjustable coilovers on my 2001 honda civic ex(coupe), si for us canadians....anyways the problem i am encountering is when i am turning into parkin spots or tight corners there is a sound coming from my coilovers. i checked into it and my preload on them seem fine, i have tightened the locking nuts or screws, whatever you call it in the right spots. but it seems as if they are winding themselves, like when i turn the noise is the coilover actually turning itself, therefore raising my front drivers side. i dont know if this has happened to anyone, or if anyone knows how to fix it, but any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: megan racing problem

I have the exact same problem.

I am going to pick up these guys and place them between the bottom of the spring and the locking rings so the spring can turn freely with out binding. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=hal-7888-109

From time to time I've had to jack up the front drivers wheel, remove the tire, and physically screw the coilover back into the base. If its tough to screw back in, get a steamer or something that will help you clean the threads from the direct bottom of the coilover- the bottom is open and dirt gets in there.
Old 02-07-2008
Registered!!

briand17a2 has a spectacular aura aboutbriand17a2 has a spectacular aura about

+1 GOOD FIND!!! I dont know if my rep really does anything for you though. Damn, summit has some random crap sometimes.
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

bomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond reputebomerman19 has a reputation beyond repute

that almost sounds like they are set too low and that megan made them too tight hmmmm interesting.

that's strange megan tend's to make pretty good parts.
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

Valdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to allValdeezy is a name known to all

I have that issue right now man. And it also happens everytime I hit a damn bump in the road. Gonna look this weekend and see if there is something wrong down there!!
Old 02-08-2008
Registered!!

whiteboy87 is an unknown quantity at this point

triz, how would you install those on the coilover? would you have to dissassemble the whole thing?
Old 02-08-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

DIY.... in 10 easy steps:

1) Loosen front lug nuts on both wheels
2) Jack up front of car
3) Take wheels off
4) Take the brake assembly off of the bottom of the coilover by removing the two bolts, and also the brake line.
5) Use the supplied coilover wrenches to loosen all of the locking rings- make note of which ring went where, and remove them all. The spring should be free, so dont let it drop to the ground- you dont want to re-install it upside down.
6) Holding the spring where it goes, put the first washer near the spring, then put on the rolling ring, then another washer. Put your plastic washer near the spring, or down below the second washer where it meets your coilover- up to you.
7) Put the rings back on and make sure your springs have the proper load on them, then set the height to whatever u want.
8) Re install the brake assembly with the two bolts and use care with the brake line.
9) Put wheels back on and tighten lug nuts by hand, drop car, tighten with torque wrench to specified ft/lbs.
10) Drive around block and re tighten lug nuts.

If you want to use any lubricants thats up to you.
Old 06-08-2008
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

i have just the megan springs and i run into this popping sound when i turn my wheels hard. does this need the same thing as triz stated for the coilovers???
Old 06-08-2008
Registered!!

fallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the roughfallout is a jewel in the rough

Yes. The popping noise is caused by binding, so a set of these will rid you of the sound.
Old 06-08-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

can steam clean unseize these coilovers?
Old 06-09-2008
Registered!!

KTciv_03 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by fallout
Yes. The popping noise is caused by binding, so a set of these will rid you of the sound.
thank ya sir.
Old 06-09-2008
Premium Member

Originally Posted by emjay
can steam clean unseize these coilovers?
The steam cleaning is to get rid to the dirt on the threads and the seat so when you turn your wheel, your coilover isnt scraping itself apart when you put the roller bearings on them.
Old 04-11-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jp7 is an unknown quantity at this point

This must be a civic only megan racing problem. I have them in my Evo IX and they work fine.
Old 04-11-2009
Registered!!

lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

do these coilovers utilise the stock plastic upper strut bearings ?????
Old 04-11-2009
Premium Member

no

And as an update, if you let them sit long enough after adjusting the popping and binding goes away... I guess they just needed to have some time to settle and get themselves situated... bought the thruster bearings but never put them on.
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

+MM+ will become famous soon enough

Hey guys, I was having the same problem regarding the popping/binding sound. I know this may sound a bit goofy, but I rotated the springs so that the part number on each spring was facing outward and I have not had the popping/binding sound since I did that. Anyway, just throwing that out there for ya.

Triz, I have had these coils installed for just over a week. How long do you figure before the springs are totally settled. I have the rears lowered to the max with about 5 threads remaining...does that sound about right? I can still squeeze one finger between the tire (205/50/16) and the inner edge of the fender sheet metal (I don't have my fenders rolled). What are your thoughts? Should I be able to go lower?

Last edited by +MM+; 04-27-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

bakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the roughbakertime is a jewel in the rough

Those thrust bearings work for a while...I had posted them a few years ago when my Ksports were doing this. However the first time the roads near me were salted, they rusted like crazy and stopped working.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

krarnold is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had a popping coming from my drivers side front spring. Not a consistant one, and I could never figure the problem out. From what I'm gathering, it is the spring rotating and binding? The spring shouldn't rotate should it? Should be installing all new Eibach suspension kit and trying to diagnose potential problems before I encounter them. Such are the joys of a good job.
Old 05-01-2009
Registered!!

Just went for my wheel alignment after having this suspension installed for two weeks. The popping sound has returned.

Short review: After two weeks of driving on these Megans, let me tell you that I am very unimpressed with this product. They rode satisfactorily for the first few days, but are getting progressively worse. My car now officially rides like a ****ing wheelbarrow. The 'damper adjustment' seems to be only a gimmick. Whether I'm on setting 27 or 15 (the higher the number, the softer the dampening), the ride seems to be the same...complete ****. It's almost as if I have no suspension travel at all. Forget about cruising over railroad tracks, bridge joints, etc. Also, the rears do NOT adjust as much as they claim to...I would estimate 2.0" max...I lowered them as much as possible and still have a finger-and-a-half gap between my 205/50/16s and the fender. I even tried to adjust the spring preload a bit to try and squeeze out another half an inch but it only ended up raising the rear, so I left it the way it was.

In hindsight, I wish I would have bought something else. I have had no previous experience with coilover suspension, and I heard many good reviews about these coilovers from people and racers who have actually used them, so I purchased them.

Anyway, that's that. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. I wish I bought the Eibach setup instead with its lifetime warranty. The warranty on these is only one year. Oh well, live and learn.

Last edited by +MM+; 05-01-2009 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-01-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Originally Posted by +MM+
Just went for my wheel alignment after having this suspension installed for two weeks. The popping sound has returned.

Short review: After two weeks of driving on these Megans, let me tell you that I am very unimpressed with this product. They rode satisfactorily for the first few days, but are getting progressively worse. My car now officially rides like a ****ing wheelbarrow. The 'damper adjustment' seems to be only a gimmick. Whether I'm on setting 27 or 15 (the higher the number, the softer the dampening), the ride seems to be the same...complete ****. It's almost as if I have no suspension travel at all. Forget about cruising over railroad tracks, bridge joints, etc. Also, the rears do NOT adjust as much as they claim to...I would estimate 2.0" max...I lowered them as much as possible and still have a finger-and-a-half gap between my 205/50/16s and the fender. I even tried to adjust the spring preload a bit to try and squeeze out another half an inch but it only ended up raising the rear, so I left it the way it was.

In hindsight, I wish I would have bought something else. I have had no previous experience with coilover suspension, and I heard many good reviews about these coilovers from people and racers who have actually used them, so I purchased them.

Anyway, that's that. I wouldn't recommend these to anyone. I wish I bought the Eibach setup instead with its lifetime warranty. The warranty on these is only one year. Oh well, live and learn.

They ride tough because they are coilovers. My Evo is the same way on the megans. Bumps are rough, live with it. If you want a comfy ride, but an Accord.
Old 05-04-2009
Registered!!

qijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to allqijian is a name known to all

my buddyclub RSDs are making a popping sound when i turn it to the far right, could it be that my adjusting rings are loose? anything else that might cause this problem??
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

I don't think so. What I did was bought some Lucas "Red n' Tacky" grease, and greased between all of the lock rings on my coilovers, and also the pivot points on the front ones between the pillow ball upper mount and the strut mount. I loosened the spring so much that it dropped down, and I greased the **** out of the area where the top of the spring and the upper mounts meet, and then tightened it up again and greased between the bottom of the spring and the lower lock nuts. I also dosed the threads with a lot of grease. There is grease all over my suspension, and it's quite messy...but hey nobody sees it and smooth as silk now. .
Old 05-13-2009
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the wonderful world of buying **** dampers.

Originally Posted by Jp7
They ride tough because they are coilovers. My Evo is the same way on the megans. Bumps are rough, live with it. If you want a comfy ride, but an Accord.
They ride rough because they are of poor design and quality (kowality more like it). I feel sad that you put a set on an evo.
Old 05-13-2009
Registered!!

fiend is an unknown quantity at this point

basically from what all i've read on reviews about coilovers, everyone has there own opinion on certain brands but the ones that i've read about with the most positive reviews are the teins which are also around $1,800 dollars so for that much i would hope they would get positive reviews but i can't see myself spending that much on them when my car is only used for a daily driver, thats why i went with the tein springs instead and going to get new shocks soon so i can install everything at once
Old 05-15-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Welcome to the wonderful world of buying **** dampers.
Yup...lesson learned.

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
I feel sad that you put a set on an evo.
Yeah, I had the same feeling. I only bought an entry level coilover kit because it's a Civic and I didn't want to pay more for my suspension than what the car is worth. Anyway, still rides better than my spring/strut combo from last year.
Old 05-18-2009
Premium Member

Triz, I have had these coils installed for just over a week. How long do you figure before the springs are totally settled. I have the rears lowered to the max with about 5 threads remaining...does that sound about right? I can still squeeze one finger between the tire (205/50/16) and the inner edge of the fender sheet metal (I don't have my fenders rolled). What are your thoughts? Should I be able to go lower?
They get progressively less noisy over time and finally settle a few weeks out. It really depends on how much your driving and also the temp outside, I find they creek and pop more when its cold out vs the summer time when its hot out.

I've been having a bad sound coming from my front end... suspension related. Sounds like the subframe is loose or the dampers and just clunking around inside the housing... everythings tight on them so I dont know. I'm going to jack it up in a few days and pull the wheels and see if I can find the source and correct it. This suspension is really shitty in my opinion.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
It really depends on how much your driving and also the temp outside, I find they creek and pop more when its cold out vs the summer time when its hot out.
I totally agree with you. It's spring here right now, and the temperature is up and down. At about 50 degrees F, they ride like complete ****. When it is about 70 and over, they really soften up. I honestly can't imagine driving these in the winter.

Originally Posted by TRIZ
I've been having a bad sound coming from my front end... suspension related. Sounds like the subframe is loose or the dampers and just clunking around inside the housing... everythings tight on them so I dont know. I'm going to jack it up in a few days and pull the wheels and see if I can find the source and correct it. This suspension is really shitty in my opinion.
Yes, mine are starting to get quite noisy as well. Greasing the **** out of them really helped, but still. Anyway, like you said...this product is garbage. I'm even considering taking the loss and selling them in order to get something better.
Old 05-19-2009
Premium Member

^ I thought about that too... I stuck with it, I'm not happy... but I mean they work and all that junk so if you got a busy life like I do, you just end up with other priorities on the top of your list.
Old 06-04-2009
Registered!!

LOL this suspension never ceases to amaze me. Hey Triz (or anyone else running this garbage set-up)...I've noticed my ride height increasing on the driver's side. I can only assume that the bottom locking nut has broken loose and the threaded shafts are rotating and threading out of the base. Is this happening to you as well? Any advice on how to stop this from happening?

Hmm...should I ask Megan to pay for my alignments every month?
Old 06-05-2009
Jp7
Registered!!

Well, they work great for me. Alignment stays consistent, ride height stays consistent. Louder and stiffer than stock but that is what I wanted. Grip is good, even under 400+whp pulls.

Quick Reply: megan racing problem