Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Should i go with s-techs and tokicos or oem springs with tokicos???

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
Should i go with s-techs and tokicos or oem springs with tokicos???

so i've had the s-techs on for about 3 years on stock shocks and they've been blown out for a while and i finally got my tokico blues.....i'm torn on deciding if i should keep the s-tech's on and install the blues or just going back to oem springs and installing the tokico,,,because i reaaaally don't want to have to deal with changing the suspension again if the s-techs are gonna blow out the tokicos in a few years too.......... can anyone input their experiences on this?? and please don't say "they shouldn't blow out with s-techs, blah blah", i'd like responses from experience, thanks
Old 08-06-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should i go with s-techs and tokicos or oem springs with tokicos???

what is the drop for those spring? tokico is fine upto 2 inch. you can call and ask them too to make sure. its made for lowering springs. with stock springs, the ride is gonna look really high, i doubt youd be happy with it. and its gonna be alot firmer.
Old 08-06-2007
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough

"so i've had the s-techs on for about 3 years on stock shocks"
thats why theyr blown. keeping oem springs with new shocks (when u have teins) makes no sense to me ...might as well put them on
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about

is there anyone that has the tein and tokico combo with a coupe? i can't find it since this stupid site changed from 7thgen to civicforums...
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
what is the drop for those spring? tokico is fine upto 2 inch. you can call and ask them too to make sure. its made for lowering springs. with stock springs, the ride is gonna look really high, i doubt youd be happy with it. and its gonna be alot firmer.
my left rear is more like 3" drop now since it's sagging, i'm wondering if that damaged/compressed the teins so that it'll be lower than 1.5" if I put on the tokicos, thus blowing out the tokicos in a matter of a couple years since the the spring was compressed beyond the 1.5" drop rating with the 2.0" drop rating with the tokicos??? jus throwing it out there...

Last edited by genexrocket; 08-07-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

same thing happened to me. rode with prokit and stock shocks for 2 yrs, the rear was slammed, the front was 3 finger gap, then i had them put new tokicos, everything changed to 2 finger gap. i really dont think spring compression can be changed or messed up, it stays the same. its the shocks that can change the ride height depending if theyre good or bad.
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

WimmyTang is an unknown quantity at this point

I will post pics tonight after I get off of work of my coupe with s-techs and tokicos. I actually had tokicos and neuspeed race springs and quite a few people were saying they had problems with the race springs being too low for the tokicos, so I went ahead and got the s-techs. Ride feels great. I have only had them on for about a month and a half, so I don't know how they will be in a year or 2 or 3. Tokicos have a lifetime warranty though. So I would go ahead and put them on, just with that peace of mind.
Old 08-07-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

well get some Tokico's, theyre great i hear, but i love my KYB AGX, and get a Eibach or Tanabe spring
Old 08-07-2007
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I was on tein s-techs with tokico blues and the ride felt great.. i then sold them to my friend because he had blown shocks in his 01 sedan and I got ahold of a set of tein ss-p's
Old 08-07-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WimmyTang
I will post pics tonight after I get off of work of my coupe with s-techs and tokicos. I actually had tokicos and neuspeed race springs and quite a few people were saying they had problems with the race springs being too low for the tokicos, so I went ahead and got the s-techs. Ride feels great. I have only had them on for about a month and a half, so I don't know how they will be in a year or 2 or 3. Tokicos have a lifetime warranty though. So I would go ahead and put them on, just with that peace of mind.
thanks, i'd much appreciate that
Old 08-07-2007
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

I would suggest buying new springs before you install.

I used new tokicos with used springs and the shocks blew within 5 months. I drive on bumpy roads so that is a factor in them blowing, but still the springs are used.

Since then, I bought new blues and new s-tech springs. The set up with all new parts is much better.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Tragedy
I would suggest buying new springs before you install.

I used new tokicos with used springs and the shocks blew within 5 months. I drive on bumpy roads so that is a factor in them blowing, but still the springs are used.

Since then, I bought new blues and new s-tech springs. The set up with all new parts is much better.
yea, that's exactly what i'm afraid of, i don't want any chance of it blowing out within the next few years, kinda leaning towards going back to stock with tokicos...

Last edited by genexrocket; 08-08-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

I haven't had a chance to take many pictures since the new setup, but here is the best one I have and I tried to lighten the picture so that you can see the wheel gap in front and back...

Hope this helps and good luck!
Old 08-08-2007
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all

cool pics, the car looks nice.
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

sorry no but i have to disagree. springs are made to outlast the car and then some. they dont go bad for any reason. i bought my springs used and rode on 3 yr old stock shocks for another 2 yrs before they finally gave up and the fronts started leaking. how fast you blow shocks depends on how you drive and the potholes you run into. but dont blame it on the spring, unless the ones you have gave too low of a drop that the shock couldnt handle/wasnt made for.
Old 08-08-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by WimmyTang
I haven't had a chance to take many pictures since the new setup, but here is the best one I have and I tried to lighten the picture so that you can see the wheel gap in front and back...

Hope this helps and good luck!
Does the rear sag like it does with the stock shocks??? thanks a lot!
Old 08-08-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

I will be taking pics of my car with the new setup (s techs and blues) later today. finally got some decent weather. i don't think you'll be happy with the ride quality, or the appearance of stock springs on blues. I know you asked for no speculation, but i think you should be fine using the s techs you have. If you're truly concerned that they'll damage the blues, pic up a new set of s techs. mine were about $130 shipped on ebay, if that, and they're legit, not that counterfeit **** going around. Unless somehow the springs were permanently compressed, you will be fine with s techs on blues. the s techs are rated at 1.4" front, and 1.3" rear, or the other way around, i forget. They're definitely less than the 2" drop the blues are designed to handle.
Old 08-08-2007
skate or die

Originally Posted by gearbox
sorry no but i have to disagree. springs are made to outlast the car and then some. they dont go bad for any reason. i bought my springs used and rode on 3 yr old stock shocks for another 2 yrs before they finally gave up and the fronts started leaking. how fast you blow shocks depends on how you drive and the potholes you run into. but dont blame it on the spring, unless the ones you have gave too low of a drop that the shock couldnt handle/wasnt made for.
A lot of people believe this. I don't.

I do drive in a rather bumpy area, but I don't drive aggressive or fast.

What causes the car's suspension to do this:

The drivers side of the car is lower than the passenger side by 1" or more.

I have been told it is because the engine and driver are on the left, being a weight issue. If someone uses their new springs for two years, and sells it to someone else, you say they will not have this problem, or wear any more than new springs? (Using the same set up)

This has always made me wonder so let me know what you think gear. From experience, I never trust anything used anymore.

Last edited by Tragedy; 08-08-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2007
Premium Member

springs dont really stay compressed tho after being taken off the car. they return to the original configuration. i agree the driver side is a bit lower, but nowhere near a whole inch, even with the driver. go take a pic of your car with and without you in it, i doubt you could visually see a difference. and its not really a problem, just something that happens. idk, springs really cant wear out, it just seems impossible. if they did, then wouldnt spring replacement be part of maintenance? like replacing spring with the shock or something. i asked the alignment shop this a long time ago and they looked at me like i was crazy. they said they only replaced the springs on a few cars and that was changing with aftermarket. nobody has ever replaced stock spring. and like i said, just off my experience, my car was really saggy in the rear almost slammed with no gap when i had full gas. and it was this way for two yrs, then i had just the shocks changed and the gap rose above 2 fingers which is a huge noticable difference. which means that the spring immediately returned to its original configuration (1 inch drop) with good shocks. if they were damaged spring, they shouldve stayed slammed right? alot of people make that mistake and blame the spring, when i put prokit on at first i was shocked how low they went, and everyone was blaming the spring saying yeah it always sags on sedans. well turns out that wasnt true at all, the spring is perfectly fine, and thats after 2 yrs of use and more by whoever had it before me. right now they are at the perfect height they should be. and i doubt it will ever change until my shocks blow again. springs are one of the few things that dont matter if its used.
Old 08-08-2007
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point

could there be a possibility of fatigue on the springs?

I still think maybe the driver side is lower than the pass. side due to the fact that right turns are generally attacked at a tighter radius and higher speed, whereas left turns are usually slower and bigger radius because of yield-to-traffic situations and longer red arrow lights. There is a 0.25 inch difference between left and right on my car

Last edited by dalaw; 08-08-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

hm okay, i think i'm leaning towards going with the s-tech/tokico combo. I'm just wondering if the rear still sags with the tokicos and if having a full tank of gas affects how much it sagged.(which my stock shocks did).
Old 08-09-2007
Registered!!

My rear sags maybe half a finger compared to the front. I have a box with 2 - 12 inch subs in the trunk, so there is additional weight in the rear as well. The difference is not real noticeable to the average person. I say you would be much happier with the tokico and s tech combo IMO.