Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Risk running on blown shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Risk running on blown shocks?

Im on eibach springs with stock shocks

Well all my shocks have been blown for a while now. And I figured, I'd wait it out for another month, put my car away for winter, then as soon as spring hits, put some tokico's on. But I feel sooo bad for my car, I'm just gonna buy oem shocks tommorow and put em on, even if it's for only a few weeks

But what I wanna know is, what kind of problems can come from driving on blwon shocks too long?
Old 10-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
genexrocket has a spectacular aura aboutgenexrocket has a spectacular aura about
yes, i'd like to know also
Old 10-04-2006
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
I drove with blown fronts and honestly, nothing very bad happened.
You can screw up some small things attached to the shocks, but no major deal. whats done is done, and the most it might cost on top of the stock shocks is like $200 - $300. Shouldnt be anything crazy, and you might not have to even replace anything else. just make sure all the components have no play in them when you install the new ones.
Old 10-04-2006
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
for the most part, just a really bouncy ride
Old 10-04-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
yea most people drive with blown shocks and dont even notice lol but yea it will get bouncy
Old 10-04-2006

diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
yeah but if you have slightly busted roads (as i did) it takes a good amount of concentration to realize they are blown.
Old 10-04-2006
spell check pwns you

tuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud oftuner04civic has much to be proud of
im selling my rear shocks give me an offer
Old 10-04-2006
Pinkslip Racer

hmmm. so nothing major eh? because a lot of people were telling me its very dangerous to drive with blown shocks
Old 10-05-2006
...JeRsEy sTyLe...

varner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of lightvarner88 is a glorious beacon of light
like i said before lots of peolpe drive on blown shocks everyday and dont even realize it, becuase most dont even know that its a replaceable part and dont even know that they can go bad.
Old 10-05-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by karizzle
hmmm. so nothing major eh? because a lot of people were telling me its very dangerous to drive with blown shocks
It can be. The bouncing of the springs causes an occilation in the amount of traction you have at any one time. so you have a car that constaly has a variable amount of traction for any purpous, accelarating, cornering, Brakeing... so the car could in theory have a loss of control at just about any of these times. The most dangerous would be brakeing, where the car is going to react slower = longer stopping distances that could easily lead to an accedent.
Old 10-05-2006

The chances of hitting a resonant frequency in the suspension, one which would cause damage or a break in traction, is slim to none. Having the shocks lower than they need be can cause stress on other parts, but harmonic resonance is the last thing i would worry about. The only time you will experience any sustained resonance is on the highway or a long flat road where you aren't changing speed or elevation much. (even a small dip in the road will agitate the movement enough to change its pattern)

Either way, Zzyzx is correct, but the chances are extremly small. This is something that would be more a problem in high performance applications, such as a race car. If you hit a frequency of the shock moving up and down that accellerates the movement, instead of dampens, this can cause major issues under those conditions. I can't imagine a quality shock (especially OEM) to experience this issue because the tires alone should absorb some of this movement, possibly enough to stop the movement from getting worse. Also consider that despite being blown, the shock still has some internal dampening.

Ok im doing talking like the nerd i really am.
Old 10-05-2006
I like my commute

Kevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of lightKevbotron is a glorious beacon of light
I had a fat kid in the back seat in my old Audi w/ blown shocks and I went in a dip and bottomed out VERY badly, watch for dips is my advice.
Old 10-05-2006

More importantly, watch out for fat kids in the back of your car!

(lol j/k people, dont flame me )
Old 10-05-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Ya Fat people should ride the bus
Old 10-05-2006

I take the bus and my BMI is like 20.0 so not all people on the bus are fat.
Then again there is no where to park in State College downtown or on campus until after 6 or 7, and even then till 10 its so expensive.
Old 10-05-2006
Registered!!

ohsnapsjay08 will become famous soon enough
ic, thats good to know. well how can you make 100% sure that you have blown shock? well my story was, on the way home just exited on canyon.. then next thing i notice i hear this slight thugging sound like back and fort thugging sound kinda thing. so puller over and was thinking it might be the rear upper strut bar, so went home took it out and guess what.. it gotten worst.. louder thuggnig sound (i guess upper rear strut helps alil eh). so i went to check the lower rear part and tried pushing upward then it makes that same noise, then compare the two rear strut.. YIKES the other one has so much grease coming out on the bottom part, so i guess its blown.

but my question is, why does my shock feel normal? shouldnt it be bouncier?

and its really annoying, ramdomly does that stupid thugging sound lolz!

Last edited by ohsnapsjay08; 10-05-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2006
Pinkslip Racer

a broken shock will be really bouncy in dips and a hard hit with little bumps, like potholes
Old 10-13-2006
PWIT

CenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond reputeCenZ has a reputation beyond repute
god all 4 of mine are blown. and it hits so hard on potholes. i feel like my struts are gunna dent my hood thats how hard it hits some times. and where im on roads that arent even it feels like im in a boat lol. but i cant afford struts, so if there is anyone out there that replaced their oem (01-02) and dont need their struts, send them my way lol
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

civic05acer has a spectacular aura aboutcivic05acer has a spectacular aura aboutcivic05acer has a spectacular aura about
^^^ lmao i know how how you feel im dropped 2 or more inches and i feel the same. on a normal freeway i bounce like, you said, im on boat. i keep wondering if people have the same bounce. but im guessing it me.