Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

2001 Civic Front Strut leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hauliau is an unknown quantity at this point
2001 Civic Front Strut leaking

Hey Guys,

recently I heard clicking sound when I am slowing down and turning my wheel. So I bring my car to the Sears Auto Center, they said that both of my front struts are leaking. I wonder should I change it or not? My car only got 32000 miles on it (civic 2001 coupe EX). Do you think if I bring it to Honda dealer will they fix it for me free? I just couldn't believe that only 32000 miles and having problem with the front strut.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2006
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
right now mine makes a clicking noise when I turn right. I just bought some new shocks to upgrade. Are you lowered? If you are you might want to think about new shocks as well.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

No I didn't lower my car. It's all original. Is it a common strut problem for this civic?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2006
skate or die

Tragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to allTragedy is a name known to all
Not for non lowered cars. Use the warranty to have them fixed.
My guess is that you bought the car used. The previous owner must have drived fast/wreckless and hit alot of potholes and bumps going fast, thus causing a leak in the front struts. Otherwise the rears would have wear indication as well. The factory shocks suck, but shouldn't leak at 30k miles unless abused.
Old 02-17-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
On the 01's its common, thats why mid way through 02 Honda changed the front dampers... (thats why the 01's and some of the 02's have a 50mm strut, where as the newer civics have a 55mm strut).

My tip, Pick up some Tokico Blue dampers. they are more performance orientated and they will last a whole lot longer then just replacing them with another set of OEM dampers. and they dont cost a whole lot either.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Try the dealer to get the freebie new stuts. Theres a Technical service bulletin for leaky struts I think. Bring that up when you talk to them. If you can't get the freebie, do what he ^^^ says.
Old 02-17-2006
Registered!!

Yeah the more I reasearch about it, the more I found that it so common in 2001 civic. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to tell them if it is in the Technical Service Bulletin for leaky struts. Do you guys have any idea how can I get the printout of the Technical Service Bulleting for this problem ? Or is there a special website that has the list for all of the TSB ?

Thanks
Old 02-17-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Well TSB's dont actually mean they will cover it. TSB's just say that its a known problem and how to fix it. If the cars still under warrenty then they will repair/replace it. if not.. then its really up to the dealership if they want to do it.
Old 02-17-2006
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
moved
Old 02-18-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Well TSB's dont actually mean they will cover it. TSB's just say that its a known problem and how to fix it. If the cars still under warrenty then they will repair/replace it. if not.. then its really up to the dealership if they want to do it.
Well no 01 is under a factory warranty anymore (past 3 years), but if you're the original owner, given the low miles, you may be able to talk them into doing it for free, or 50/50 with you. See what they say, but if you have to pay full price replacement, don't buy OEM ones again.
Old 02-18-2006
Registered!!

Dticalman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Get the Tokico Blues. I just got my new struts installed cos they were leaking as well. With these new shocks, there's a consideralbe difference in the ride quality. I recommend the Tokico's too, specially for the price.