Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Hit a curb, hoping only have to replace the control arm

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MojoMyCivic has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Question Hit a curb, hoping only have to replace the control arm

I hit the curb on Sunday night after doing my lab at the U, flipped my phone open and tried to call my girl. Think I'd clear the curve, I hit that dang curb so hard that my car kinda flew up a little. I think I was driving around 30 to 35mph. After that when I drive, I'd be going straight, but my steering wheel would be turned to the right slightly. I had my buddy looked at it tonight, he did a quick look underneath and found that the control arm was bent. He said he doesn't know if that's the only damage but since the car still rides fine, there shouldn't be any other sever problems.

He then told me that the part he might be able to get a good price on since he knows usually they give student discounts. But he said hat the labor'd be like 200 to 300 bucks. So it might end up costing me like 400 bucks! Does that sound reasonable? Well, he's not the one who's gonna replace it for me since he doesn't have time. Is it hard to replace it myself? I was told that its a two hour job. If I go to like Carx or something cheapy like that and have'em install it, would it be cheaper? Help?
Old 11-10-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Having never done it personally I don't know how bad it is, but it doesn't look too difficult. I think you need to pop out the lower ball joint though.
The arm itself (I'm assuming the front one) is around 100 bucks, but the labor is going to get you. Its 3 bolts, but a shop will find a way to charge for at least 2 hours.
Old 11-10-2005
Registered!!

Thanks Boilermaker1 for your help

Yeah, I was looking online and the control arm itself is running at around 75, with shipping and stuff, probably around 90. My friend said he's going to look into the part this weekend, trying to find me a better deal. I don't know, I need to find some old asian dudes that will charge me real cheap for the labor. I was thinking about bribing my friend to do it for me, but then he didn't sound like he wanted to. I really don't have 300 to 400 buck laying around right now, so its gonna be real tight on my end.

Also, do you guys think that any other things might possibly be effected other than the bent of the control arm??? I know the strut and shocks should be ok since the ride isn't rough, just normal, I think. Any help would be appreciated!

Does anyone know how to replace the dang control arm in Minnesota????
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I had a similar incident...you can see the rim and suspension on my rides page.
I had my whole passenger side suspension replaced excluding the brakes.
Control arm was bent, shocks blown, and other minors things.
I paid $1000 out the door.
Old 11-11-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
my car hit a curb goin 40-45 mph...it hit so hard that not only did the control arms bend the whole car ended up on the sidewalk...only had 1 good steely afterwards...a rear tire blew out when we were making a turn than the car slide sideways, than brakes were hit, tires locked, slid right into the curb goin about 40-45...whole subframe had to be replaced, 3 steelies, 2 tires...woulda cost us $3400 to fix at a dealershit but we have a hookup in orange county which did it for parts only
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Likeaferio, I didn't hit nearly as hard as you did. My stock rims were just a little scratched up on the lips, no bentage. My friend didn't see anything wrong with the shocks or struts. Either that or I just chose to ignore it so I can feel better about my wallet.

I am hoping to just replace the control arm, the lower front right one. I wonder if I have to replace the ball joints? The wheel is fine still, just need a good old balancing. Peeps who live in Minnesota, know any cheap shops that will charge me pennies to replace the control arm if I supply the parts?
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Bump

Any help from anyone????? Please?