Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

RSX-S Rear Sway Review, need input

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
psychotic_z is an unknown quantity at this point
RSX-S Rear Sway Review, need input

I just installed my new (used :P) RSX-S rear sway bar yesterday on my 05 EX SE... For anyone considering doing this, DO IT. The install was a snap - without a repair manual or any experience on the suspension of my Civic before, I took off the old and installed the new in a grand total of about 20 minutes. That includes a run to the hardware store for the right hex wrench.

RSX-S rear sway, shipped (from someone on ClubRSX) - $50
Metric Allen wrench set - $3
Total price - $53

Only took a 12mm socket and ratchet, a 14mm wrench, and some metric hex wrench/allen key (forget the exact size) to keep the end link stud from rotating when loosening. I didn't even need a jack or need to take off the rear wheels - you can slide under from the back (assuming yours isn't lowered) and do all the work from there.

So the difference is incredible... The point of this install was to help dial out some of the understeer I encountered when I autocrossed last month. Worked like sex - understeer is drastically reduced and the car has a much more neutral feel around corners. In short, quick turns, I'm finding that body roll was reduced significantly and the overall turn-in is much cleaner and smoother.

Long, sweeping turns are a different story - before, on such turns, the car would understeer like **** and push hard to the outside. Last time out autocrossing, there was a long, sweeping, high-speed corner that had the car on three wheels... needless to say, the car wanted to go straight, not to keep turning. Now while I haven't really tested this at 10/10 since the next autocross won't be for a few more weeks (and all I have to work with are city streets and on-ramps), so far I've noticed that instead of understeering on those corners, the car instead just slides to the outside uniformly. So, basically my tires blow. The limiting cornering factor now seems to be my tires and grip instead of the built-for-passengers suspension. Keep in mind that the only other mods to the Civic are engine bolt-ons. Stock suspension, wheels, and tires.

All in all, for the price you pay - you can't get a better suspension piece.

But here's where I need some input - just like a few others reported, I heard one or two loud "clunks" during hard corners that shocked through the chassis all the way through the pedals to my feet. I checked and nothing seems to be binding or damaged. Some of you who reported this same thing said that a rear lower tie-bar would fix the noise... and that's what I'm leaning towards installing. Then again, I'm not interested in just throwing parts on in hopes of fixing it unless I'm sure it'll get the job done. Can someone give some insight on this?
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

DaddyFatSacks is an unknown quantity at this point
It's probably your exhaust piping, they tend to hit the sway bar alot, or your bar is upside down.
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
yup on what daddyfatsacks said. Check to make sure it isn't upside down and get some radiator hose to warp around the sway bar where the exhaust may hit with zip ties.
Old 10-12-2005
Diamond Member

Boggie1688 is an unknown quantity at this point
A lot of ppl say exhaust, I usually don't think it is. With mine it wasn't the exhaust it was actually the bushing of the sway bar. Did u lube ur bushings? I'm not sure why but lubing my bushings makes the loud cluck go away when I make fast turns.
Old 10-12-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Curious, but are you on or off the gas durring those sweepers?
Old 10-12-2005
Registered!!

I'll check tomorrow, but I'm almost 100% that it isn't upside down.

I didn't lube the bushings - but I'll do that tomorrow. But since the car only has 10k miles, I wouldn't expect a problem there.

Exhaust has a good amount of clearance, but it's possible. Actually, the crossmember across the back pretty much rubs against the bar with the lack of clearance it has. But since they're bolted together, clearance isn't an issue, really, since they won't move independently.

About 50% throttle on some of the sweepers. They were freeway on-ramps so I didn't want to push it too hard. I was a little scared to push it all the way to full throttle, but I can assume I'd just keep sliding outwards if I was flat-out. Why do you ask?
Old 10-12-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
I ask because your problem sounds a bit like throttle induced understeer. Next time the car does that, ease off the gas a bit, the nose should bite back in and you'll start to turn better.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Boggie1688
A lot of ppl say exhaust, I usually don't think it is. With mine it wasn't the exhaust it was actually the bushing of the sway bar. Did u lube ur bushings? I'm not sure why but lubing my bushings makes the loud cluck go away when I make fast turns.

This is probably the most likely explanation. I got the same popping sounds from my front sway bar until i greased them.

Hey boogie, was that you on 17N going to 85N last Friday? I saw a 04 maganesium civic slammed with projector headlights.
Old 10-13-2005
Diamond Member

Might have been me man. I've been traveling those roads a lot lately. If it was like friday about mid morning around 11 it was probably me. Are you the black civic that has the badge EM2? On it? If so it was me that was kinda following you, I was in a rush to send a friend home.

Funny story, went to touge with a couple locals. Must say I held my ground well. But on the way home around 2:00 am I got pulled over for 98 in a 65 on the 17. The cop clocked me doing 101 then 98 but let me of with an 85 in a 65. I was going much faster before that, no one on the freeway, and I just finished touge and had lots of adrenaline running.
Old 10-13-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Yeah that was me. Yeah i could tell you were in a rush from the way you were driving. Damn you got a ticket at 2:00am. I didn't know the pigs worked that late. Yeah you gotta becareful on the 17 because there's a lot of chp on it.

Let me know when you wanna meet up, we'll have a mini meet or something lol.
Old 10-13-2005
Diamond Member

Temjin Pmed You!
Old 10-14-2005
Registered!!

Slight update... IT'S GETTING WORSE!

Driving around today, you'd get a clunk around pretty much every sharp turn. Even backing out of my driveway? CLUNK!

I didn't take any of the advice yet, but I'll be doing it tomorrow when I have some free-time finally. I'll update on the progress.
Old 10-14-2005
Diamond Member

Yea its the bushings, take it out grease it. You'll be fine!
Old 10-15-2005
Registered!!

Another update: Embarrassing, but turns out it *was* in upside down. Whoops... It fits both ways, it turns out. Anyway, flipped it and greased the bushings all around and problem is fixed!

GREAT mod, if you didn't know already. I didn't know Civic's could oversteer
Old 10-17-2005
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
lolz....