Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Quick question about coilovers and lowering springs!! plz read thanks :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tommyhoang_ta is an unknown quantity at this point
Quick question about coilovers and lowering springs!! plz read thanks :)

Hi everyone
I have a quick question about supspension. I have a 2k1 vic dropped on Ground Control coilovers w/ Tokico blues. However the ride kinda bouncy so i was thinking about swap to lowering springs w/ about the same drop (around 2" all around). My question is will my ride get any better after the swap? If so how much better it will be? And what springs gonna give me about 2" drop? Thanks alot.
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

pinoyjdmr is an unknown quantity at this point
if I were you sell those and get you some D2 damper kit with 36 way dampering and your ride would be all good ............
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road
Correct me if I'm wrong, but i think it depends on the spring rates as well as how much the springs lower. I'd probably compare some of the spring rates first...
Old 08-24-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by pinoyjdmr
if I were you sell those and get you some D2 damper kit with 36 way dampering and your ride would be all good ............
Uh, NO. D2s are crap.

It depends. The thing with progressive springs and tokicos are that they will bounce. Tokicos are stiffer than stock but aren't like konis. And progressive springs do bounce. The stiffer the spring, the less the bounce, generally. So in the end, your ride may or may not improve depending on the type of spring.
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

thanks alot for the answers. So what spring set gonna give me better ride than GC coilovers? ima noob about supspension lol
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

ojay is on a distinguished road
softer springs/springs with less of a drop
Old 08-24-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Problem 1: Ground controls are stiff, on rough pavement they will bounce a little
Problem 2: Tokicos may not have enough damping to support the high spring rates
Problem 3: Tokico says not to go lower than 1.5", you went 2, with stiff springs and potentially underdamped shocks. You stand the chance of having blown the shocks leading to further bouncing.
Blown shocks and any springs won't ride any smoother. So before you think springs will solve it, figure out first if you already blew the shocks.

And rob... you got it backwards buddy. Change the word progressive for straight rate.
Old 08-24-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Problem 1: Ground controls are stiff, on rough pavement they will bounce a little
Problem 2: Tokicos may not have enough damping to support the high spring rates
Problem 3: Tokico says not to go lower than 1.5", you went 2, with stiff springs and potentially underdamped shocks. You stand the chance of having blown the shocks leading to further bouncing.
Blown shocks and any springs won't ride any smoother. So before you think springs will solve it, figure out first if you already blew the shocks.

And rob... you got it backwards buddy. Change the word progressive for straight rate.
sorry i thought he was running springs and not gcs...
Old 08-25-2005
Registered!!

Im pretty sure my struts arent blow yet tho. I was think about swap to Tein s.tech springs? Will my ride get any better with this set up?