Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

car rides sooo rough!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peimp is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile car rides sooo rough!

hey guys new to the forum. i just bought a 02 civic lx that was dropped for a show. he said ill need to have bumpstops installed when i get back. it has skunk2 racing coilovers right now, and it is way to low for me. how do i lift it a little and soften the ride. every time i hit a bump it sounded like the wheel was gonna smash through the car! sorry if these are really stupid questions, just trying to make it a car i can enjoy and learn about.

thanks
jason
Old 07-31-2005
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by peimp
hey guys new to the forum. i just bought a 02 civic lx that was dropped for a show. he said ill need to have bumpstops installed when i get back. it has skunk2 racing coilovers right now, and it is way to low for me. how do i lift it a little and soften the ride. every time i hit a bump it sounded like the wheel was gonna smash through the car! sorry if these are really stupid questions, just trying to make it a car i can enjoy and learn about.

thanks
jason
You bascially have ruined your stock shocks. You are bottoming out and you are probably driving an unsafe car. IF you don't know how to adjust your coils, then you shouldn't have installed them. All you have to do is turn the collars up. In addition, you might want to invest in some shocks. That would greatly improve your ride. Before you ask what shocks, read the thread up top that has all the information about shocks in it.
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

i bought the car like that, i didnt install them myself. i dont kwow if he installed different shocks or not
Old 07-31-2005
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
i bought the car like that, i didnt install them myself. i dont kwow if he installed different shocks or not
well it is time to learn then... Get your *** underneath the car and find out...

If you are slamming the car then you are most likely on stock shocks, which is dangerous.
Old 07-31-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
in the pic i attached, i marked with blue, you take the two spanner wrenches and twist them upward (so its moving right).

twisting it left - drops lower
right - raises higher

as soon your set on a ride height, you HAVE to tighten the 2 perches together. meaning you take one spanner wrench (which come with the coiloves) for the top perch and twist it LEFT, while taking the other spanner wrench for the bottom and twisting that RIGHT. so you're basically tightening them together so it sits still and wont slide. if you dont, it will eventually slide downward (get lower).

when/if you raise it, let me know how it rides. im not sure if i can feel any difference if i slam or drop a little. can someone clearify?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	skunk2coilovers3.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	57869  
Old 07-31-2005
Registered!!

what does this mean then? and why are the threads stripped?
also, he said i need to have the bumpstops re installed, as he took them out for the last show. how expensive is that usually, and will it raise the car at all?

i really appreciate the help!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1 001.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	57892  
Old 08-01-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
First, rip it all out. Buy a new suspension, shocks and springs and save yourself the hassle.
Second, you shouldn't have bought a dumped car. Thats like car rule number one, especially when there's 10000000 out there bone stock.
Third, have the steering rack looked over to make sure that its not trashed. If you slam these cars you hyperextend the rack and can really mess it up bad.

BTW... I usually don't sugarcoat things.
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

xDCx will become famous soon enoughxDCx will become famous soon enough
yikes. check out the f/s<<retail<<group sale threads. im sure there are suspension packages deals goin on.
Old 08-01-2005
Registered!!

aznpoopy is an unknown quantity at this point
are you saying the threads to move the spring perch up and down are stripped?

i would go with what the other guys are saying and just throw it all out. buy yourself a decent shock/spring combo and call it a day.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

bOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enoughbOoStEd042dr will become famous soon enough
also, he said i need to have the bumpstops re installed, as he took them out for the last show. how expensive is that usually, and will it raise the car at all?

wow that's really bad
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

yeah dude, stay away from skunk2s, they suck!
Old 08-20-2005
Registered!!

JCiv03 is on a distinguished road

From the looks of your picture, the springs are on the lowest setting. You have to move those up to raise the height.
Old 08-21-2005
Registered!!

yeah i swapped it all out, kyb agx's with a prokit. much better