Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Lowering and alignment paranoia

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c kim is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Lowering and alignment paranoia

Well, I'm going to take my car in for an alignment. Probably to Sears auto center since the guys at NTB are total *******s in my area. Is it safe to keep my rims on or should I switch them out just for the alignmnet. I've heard of some people getting their wheels skitched from an alignment so I'm not sure what to do.

Also, I'm lowering on neuspeed sports with stock shocks. And then on top of that I'm rolling on 205/40/17's, so the ride is pretty rough as it is. I'm gonna get some tokico blue's as soon as I get the money but do you think I should wait or put on the springs? I'm gonna try to drive around extremely careful over curbs and whatnot but not even that might save my shocks. I wanna put these springs on pretty bad and I won't be getting the shocks anytime soon. Anyone have any input on this?

Last edited by c kim; 06-08-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2005
Proud to be a civic owner

es2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
if you getting the shocks, do the shocks and springs at the same time and then do the alignment... there's no point of doing the alignment now and then you install shocks and springs...
just my 2 cents
Old 06-08-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
get the alignment on whatever you will be driving with. It will change if you swap suspension/wheel components. Take it to a better place than sears.
Old 06-08-2005
Registered!!

Yeah, I'm gonna get the shocks but not for awhile. Will the factory ones be okay for now and not blow out when I don't have any money. I'm gonna be driving extremely slow over bumps etc. you know

Anyone else know a better alignment place than Sears? Its seemed like a pretty professional place to me with people that know what they're doing.
Old 06-08-2005

i have the stock shocks now with tein s tech.. and it's fine....
i don't think i'll get new shocks until i feel something different with the suspension...
Old 06-08-2005

some people said you can pay like $130 at firestone for a lifetime alignment...
i paid $70 to do it once
Old 06-08-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
i got a 3 year unlimited mileage alignment from tire's plus for $99. NTB couldn't do my alignment and told me i needed a camber kit for my tl lowered on eibach prokit springs. I told them they're idiots because i had just had a full SPC camber kit installed the day earlier. NTB also told me my rear camber was frozen solid and they could only get my front right tire aligned within spec.

Tire's Plus was able to get all wheels within spec and did it for $80 cheaper than NTB.
Old 06-08-2005
Registered!!

simony, r u running on 205/40/17's like me. The people with these tires know what I'm talking about when I complain about the ride. They def. put extra stress on the shocks. So springs with a rubberband thin tire combo has to be pretty brutal.
Old 06-08-2005

yah i'm running on 205/40/17 now...
and i'm fine with it..
i think i might switch over to coilover so i don't really want to get new shocks now
Old 06-08-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
tires plus are idiots. if you want a softer ride, you shouldn't have gotten bigger rims and drop.
Old 06-08-2005
Registered!!

^^Yeah, but who here doesn't want bigger rims and a drop. 17's aren't that big anyways.
Old 06-09-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by simony
some people said you can pay like $130 at firestone for a lifetime alignment...
i paid $70 to do it once
the firestone here has lifetime alignment on sale for 99 bucks. dont know if its everywhere though.
Old 06-09-2005
Registered!!

I'll look into firestone. If the one in my area is legit. Similar threads have mixed feelings about firestone, and alignment shops alike. Some won't touch lowered cars, others charge extra for camber adjustment, etc.
Old 06-09-2005

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
yeah, i asked mine specifically if they charge more for any camber adjustments and things like that. they said no. i called 2 others just to see and they told me the same thing.
Old 06-09-2005
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
First, Sears owns NTB and here in Texas they are @******s either way you go. I am just starting to lower my car. And I am taking a safe route. I first bought a full SPC camber kit. (will save you money in the long run with this!) I have just bought some Tein springs and soon shocks. I already have the camber kit on and then I will do the rest all at once. The alignment will scratch you rims a little bit (depends on the metal)but I would use the rims that you will be driving with all the time. Because if you don't that beats the whole purpose of getting a alignment. Good Luck.
Old 06-09-2005
Registered!!

^^I didn't know the kind of wheels affected alignment. This means changing my wheels out for the winter will mess up my alignment? Definitely not.
The alignment will "scratch my rims a little bit"^, that sucks ***.
Old 06-10-2005
Registered!!

peteriap will become famous soon enoughpeteriap will become famous soon enough
Guys, make sure you go to a reputable shop that works on lowered vehicles regularly. You can't generalize and say that a certain shop can do the alignment properly becuase it varies from store to store and technician to technician. Talk with the shop and the technician and feel him out. If it sounds like he isn't experienced, definitely do not go with him. About scratching wheels, this depends on how careful they are. Stress to them that you have expensive wheels and to be careful. It stinks that you have to do this but most techs just don't care because the majority of vehicles are stock.

The overall diameter will definitely affect your alignment, however, if it is a minor difference it is not a huge deal.

Hope this helps.