Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

hydroplaned did a 360 in the middle of the interstae

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
j-jolly is an unknown quantity at this point
hydroplaned did a 360 in the middle of the interstae

okay i was driving home from work with my g/f and my car was hydroplanning like th ewhole and i was driveng 60 and went to ge tinto the far left lane when i hydroplaned and the car was pulled into a spin in the middle of the interstate, it is like my car pulles from left to right all the time when it rains and it is not very fun to drive in i have hayame coilovers could this be the cause of my problems if so i would rather i hage my stock struts on, cause it is not wotrh dying in a car wreck so please help me if you guys have any advive and i have brand new tires on the front so i know that is not the problem.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

anibal is an unknown quantity at this point
How about your tires in the back?? are they brand new or almost bald?? that might be a problem if they're worn out.
Old 02-28-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
maybe your alignment is out of wack...
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to hear about your accident. Which brand of tires did you buy for the front? Also how's the tread on the back tires? The coil over shouldn't the cause of your accident.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

the tires in the back are bald, but i feel it shaking and pulling in the front and my toe is off from when i hit this wild pig one night a few years back, but i did not have a problems untill i put the coilovers on, but the good thing is thath i did not hit anything or anything hit me so i was lucky for that much.
Old 02-28-2005
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
did you get an alignment since you put your coilovers on?
Old 02-28-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Whats the spring rates on them? Damper rates/settings?

Stiff springs and High damper rates are not what you want in low grip situations. also, what PSI are your tires at? a1-2 PSI can make a Huge difference in wet traction.
Old 02-28-2005
I log in from time to time

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to beholddirtySAMURAI is a splendid one to behold
drive slower.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nicedoubledeuce2k2 is just really nice
put your good tires on the back. accellerating will hurt, but you will not spin like you did. go to any tire shop and they will tell you best tires go on the back
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

jwsisme is an unknown quantity at this point
My car hydroplanes less since I got rid of the stock struts.
Bald tires or crappy tires are likely the issue.
I wouldn't put bald tires on the front since the car is front wheel drive.
Old 02-28-2005
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
on most roads your car will pull to the right due to the drainage slope in the road. However you say that you were in the left lane and very much dependent on individual highway design it may infact drain to the left. However I would say get new tires (driving on bad ones is asking for problems nad this was the cause). And get you steering readjusted (however it is doubtfult that this was the cause you may have been able to control the results better)
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
Hydroplaning has nothing to do with struts. Get tires that channel water well. Or, at this point, get any new set of tires to replace your bald tires. This is why you hydroplaned. Water needs to be channeled away from the contact patch, so when your bald tires hit a puddle, they just float, because they can't get rid of the water underneath them.

Get your alignment checked when you get those new tires too.
Old 02-28-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Sux about the accident.

Some one said on similar post like this that if you lose traction in the rear you spin out, but if you lose traction in the front you just slide forward. I can't remember who said it, but if its true then i would suggest moving your new tires to the rear and try to get new ones for the front asap or just drive a lot slower till you can afford new tires.

I've learned from my hydroplanning experiences that probably two factors that attribute most to hydroplaning is driving style and tires.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

thanks for the input and like i said i was driving 60 which is pretty slow for an interstate that has a min. speed. and i have gotten it alined i guess i will try and get new tires in the back and see if that helps, oww and the psi is at 35,and yuo can not adjust the hayame kit.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

civichxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Just so you know if your dropped and you pull both left and right then your camber is most likely off
Old 03-01-2005
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by civichxtreme
Just so you know if your dropped and you pull both left and right then your camber is most likely off
camber has nothing to do with that. Infact negative camber is a good thing for better handling (to a point). As far as more neg camber to either the front or back, the greater the neg camber is to the back compared with the front will cause more oversteer, but less feel to when the car has reached its limit and is about to give you a veiw of the road from the other direction. Someone who is into racing will tune their car to their standards, but will usually never have 0 degrees of camber. Most of the time they will have - camber. Now what I would say is if you dropped your car and it is unpredictable then you dropped it to much and need to raise it.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

mattnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Get yourself good performance all seasons. (not the summer joints)
2. slow down, especially with other passengers in the car
3. try not to switch lanes in heavy rain. the other car's tires are pushing water out of their lanes & water is usually just hanging out between lanes. Plus, people may not see you.
4. slow down please. if you were goin 30 miles per hour it would be hard to hydroplane if you gradually changed lanes carefully on decent tires in heavy rain. if you are doing 60 in heavy downpour on highway, then you leave everything to your tires and your god.
5. if your car pulls to one side even in the dry, then check out yout alignment immediately.
Old 03-01-2005
Registered!!

i cant do anything about the alingment cause i hit a wild pig and the frame is bent so the toe is off on the drivers side so i will have to take it to a body shop and try to get them to fix it. but i think it might be the back tires cause it was raining again tonight and it seemed that the swerving was coming from the back so after i pay my ins. on the 10th i will try and get two more tires.