Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Mine's Bigger....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Mine's Bigger....

Well, I finished the install and went for a shake down run. So far every thing seems good. But what did I install??? well nothing more then a Hotchkis 25mm Two point adjustible rear anti-roll bar.

I tell you Hotchkis makes one hell of an anti-roll bar, even with it being 25mm It still clears my exaust (My 19mm would rub on hard right turns). Nice shade of red too.... I havent really pushed it yet, due to this just being street driving, but I'll have a full review of my current suspension setup on monday after this weekends autocross.

This is what I got, though it was throuh Robear Racing
http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bi...atalogno=22404

The bar is adjustible between +168% & +180% of the 19mm bar that I had on there. Just note that the stock rear bar is 13mm.

Only down side I can see right now is that you have to buy the whole set, Front and rear bars, even though the front bars wont fit my EX (Dont want it any way)

Last edited by Zzyzx; 07-22-2004 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-22-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
Awesome, since I have an 01 sedan would this require the same mounting kit that would be required for the Progress bar?
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you don't have any sway bar on your 01 you will need a mounting kit.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

tcostello has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I've been running that whole kit on my wifes 03 Si for about 6months. I love'em, but I think I'm gonna pop an endlink soon!
Old 07-22-2004
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
If you have an LX or DX then yes, you will need a mounting kit.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
Why doesnt the front fit? Is it because of the subframe? Do you have any pics of the installed bar? I'd love to get one, but school is the top priority.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

Sickboy will become famous soon enoughSickboy will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Green Civic
Why doesnt the front fit? Is it because of the subframe? Do you have any pics of the installed bar? I'd love to get one, but school is the top priority.
Because of the different curve around the cat. He likes his 15.9mm bar anyways.
Old 07-22-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Ya, Right now I'm runing the 15.9mm front bar, a 25.4mm rear bar, Eibach sportline springs and Koni shocks. Only thing I'm looking to change in the future is to get some ground controls (Custom spring rate of coures )

Ya know I'm not 100% sure the front bar doesnt fit, the shape is very simmilar to the stock 25.4 mm bar i took out. Who konws, I just know that its WAY too big for autocross.
Old 07-22-2004
Registered!!

tcostello has a little shameless behaviour in the past
It won't fit. Only Si & RSX for now. They said maybe in about 6 months for the Ex Coupe. That was awhile back and he was talking about doing some Ford Focus stuff first.

i know it does'nt fit 'cause I tried the factory Si one on my Ex. Missed it by
........... that much
Old 07-22-2004
Autocross Junky

^^ Eh, oh well. Didnt want the front bar any way.

I even called Hotchkis to see if I could just get the 25.4mm rear bar, they said nope, you gotta buy the set.
Old 07-23-2004
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
That's a killer rear sway bar. I wonder if your track times will improve with the new setup?
Old 07-23-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by Grey
That's a killer rear sway bar. I wonder if your track times will improve with the new setup?

Hopefully, As I have a little 89 Si that I need to chase down....

BTW, The endlinks I ordered from you showed up the exact same day as the anti-roll bar..... wierd.
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

Keep an eye on that subframe zz.

it's so big...it's so big
Old 07-23-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by Sickboy
Keep an eye on that subframe zz.

it's so big...it's so big
Plans are allready in the works for reinforcing it....

Just for fun (Or because I'm sick...)

The stock bar was 13mm, the 19mm bar I replaced that with was 456% stronger then the 13mm bar.... The 25.4mm bar I replaced the 19mm bar with is adjustible to be either 168% or 180% stronger then the 19mm bar... (Thanks to the Hotchkis bar being Hollow, Its lighter then the 19mm bar too)

SO the current bar is 624% or 636% stronger then the origninal 13mm bar..

Well See how this one goes for a while.... I may get the Hotchkis 27mm rear bar (which is 202 to 220% stronger then the 19mm bar)
Old 07-23-2004
Registered!!

Did you calculate using solid or hollow bars? Man, I would consider stiffer rear springs before going any bigger. Anyways, have a good weekend!
Old 07-23-2004
Autocross Junky

Both the 13mm and the 19mm are solid.. the 25.4 is hollow (I got the strength from Hotchkis's site)

heres the formula for calulating strength differences in solid bars..

larger bar diameter^4/smaller bar diameter^4 * 100 = percent change in stiffness.

For a hollow bar you have to claculate the rate based on the Outside diamiter (As if it were solid) then you have to subtract the rate of a hypothetical bar that matches the inside diameter (i.d.) of the space within. To do that, you need to know the wall thickness of the hollow bar.
Old 07-24-2004
Registered!!

It's been a while, but I thought the 19mm was hollow. That's why I was curious how you got its strength measurement, without cutting it in half. Anyways, the bends, lengths, and materials also affect the strength so I don't know about their measurements. Close enough though.
I'm considering the comptech 22mm bar since it uses poly bushings and yet still hugs the subframe by using stock brackets, giving more exhaust clearance. Using the E.S. bushings/brackets, so probably the Progress or Comptech sway/support combos as well, pushes the bar out and into my exhaust. I'm hesitant to move the exhaust because I might sell the car next year, but I'd really really like a 22mm bar. Decisions decisions.
Old 07-26-2004
Registered!!

slowvic is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a thought. The rtr realtime rsx had 43mm front and rear bars.
Old 07-27-2004
Autocross Junky

Ok, boys and girls.......

I love steering with the rear end! I am 100% happy with the 25.4mm bar right now. It did every thing I was hoping it would do.

The car had just enough oversteer to really help out in the sweepers (I actually had problems with the car turning in Too quickly, wich is really a good problem to have) Once I got the hang of it I ended up being .996 Behind a lil 89 Si that is fully preped for the national tour.

All in all, The Hotchkis 25.4mm rear bar would be an excelent choice if you plan on Open track and autocrossing, though it may be too much for the average joe on the street.
Old 08-02-2004
Registered!!

trance4mer is an unknown quantity at this point
kool..
Old 08-03-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
what plans do you have for bracing the subframe??? and just to clarify the bar would totaly snap the stock end links, right???
Old 08-03-2004
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by CrazyCakes
what plans do you have for bracing the subframe??? and just to clarify the bar would totaly snap the stock end links, right???

not really, I've calculated out that because the Hotchkis bar is hollow, the 25.4mm bar on its strongest setting is just bairly stronger then what a Solid 22mm bar would be..

Hotchkis 25.4mm adjustible bars equivelent Solid bar MM...
Soft = 21.6mm Firm = 22.1MM

Hotchkis 27mm Adjustible bar Equivelent solid bar mm
Soft = 22.65 Firm = 23.1mm

Basically, I may end up going with the 27mm bar in the long run.... But it really depends if I intend to autocross this car for the coming seasons.... I'm kind of in the market for an 89 Si....
Old 08-03-2004
I drive a jeep to compensate for my tiny pee pee

Blue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enoughBlue_Honda_Civ will become famous soon enough
sounds good man keep us posted