Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

Mugen 25mm rear sway

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003
Ask me about your mom.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
Mugen 25mm rear sway

hey guys

I'm at work, bored, and thought I'd stir the pot a bit.

Besides my driving (which is a large part of the equation), I was thinking of also improving the rear suspension of my car a bit to help with the understeer.

I currently have a 22mm rear swaybar, and was thinking of the 25mm mugen rear.

does anyone know of someplace in north america that you can get it, besides www.kingmotorsports.com ? I'm looking to see what some competitive prices are...

thanks!
Old 10-24-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know if competitive pricing exists on Mugen parts. Its kinda like, "if you want it, pay it. If not, someone else will." I've never seen variation of more than $5 from King's price on anything with a Mugen logo. Besides.... 25mm is gonna be enough to bust some endlinks, and the whole car if you're not careful. I'd make sure the rest of the suspension is up to the task of handling the rear end push that that thing'll kick in... and I'd become a really good driver too...
Old 10-24-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
The mugen rear sway bar that will fit our cars is onlt 24mm where did you see 25?
Old 10-24-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
True ^^^ you dont realize the amount of strength increace in a sway bar by just in creacing its diamiter by 1mm... Example.

the RSX's 19mm bar Vs the stock 15mm bar..............
the 19mm bar is 257% stronger then the 15mm bar. for just 4mm.

That 25mm bar compaird to the 22mm bar is 166% stronger (Almost twice as strong)

Math for compairing sway bar strengths

Bar1 = larger bar
Bar2 = smaller bar

Bar1 (To the 4th power)/Bar2(To the fourth power) * 100

this is assuming both bars are solid and that the arms that the tie rods bold in to are the same length.
Old 10-25-2003
Ask me about your mom.

tekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura abouttekgnosis has a spectacular aura about
I have hotchkis endlinks, and they're freakin tough, so I'm not worried about those badboys.

I've read everywhere that the swaybar is 25mm...not 24mm.
Checkout http://www.kingmotorsports.com/product.asp?detail=355

Also, it comes with the rear pseudo tie bar attached to the mounts like the progress kit has.

To ensure extra strength, I'll keep my skunk2 tie bar on there as well. With that much support, the force should be evenly distributed accross the body and the extra goodies.

I'm ok with spending that much money, I was just curious if anybody else carried these parts and was competitive with the king. The king actually has it for $5 cheaper than the mugen japan's MSRP hehehe

anywho, thanks guys! I'll make sure to have this on for next season!
Old 10-25-2003
Ask me about your mom.

Originally posted by Boilermaker1
...and I'd become a really good driver too...
good point. However, I grew up driving a jeep in the winter, so oversteer is actually quite comfortable for me. It's a lot more comfortable than understeer.

I'm quite the decent driver, actually Not being a spazz on the gas/brakes/steerwheel really helps. I think the one thing I really need to improve on is my line strategy. I've read numerous articles on it, and obviously know about widening a corner, but everything changes when I drive...it seems to happen too fast to keep track of hehehe

i agree though, driving is also another way to fix the understeer.

ok, just one more ramble: I actually cured quite a bit of the understeer in my last couple of events just by changing my driving techniques, and fiddling with tire pressure. I think that with this rear sway bar, and my technique, it would pretty much get me as close to neutral handling as possible.

hopefully.
Old 10-25-2003
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
what current mods do u have?and what setting u have on the v2 again?how come u still have understeer?im having minor understeer now for my car, i have
neuspeed front upper strut
19mm rear sway
h&r sports
-0.5 rear camber and 0.0 front
generic rear trunk bar(useless)
215/45/17 es100
Old 10-25-2003
Registered!!

macrossranma is an unknown quantity at this point
just wondering what setting will neutralize understeer when i get the v2
Old 10-25-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
when is it understeering? Corner entry or exit, mid corner or all the time?

tekgnosis, are you looking through the corner, or at whats right in front of your car? Try looking at where you want to put the car on corner exit, and you probably will.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 10-25-2003 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-25-2003
Ask me about your mom.

the understeer seems to now be towards the middle of corners.

I'm smooth with the gas and the steering, but the car just doesn't want to stick the corners.

I keep an eye out for tire pressure all day and make sure I'm getting optimal grip, mindyou the tires do kinda suck (alot).

hrm...
Old 10-25-2003
Ask me about your mom.

macrossranma: too many suspension mods to list

essentially, nothing but the control arms and upper mounts are stock, and I also have added more stuff here and there.

PM me if you want more info, I'm kinda wary about posting stuff nowadays.