Suspension Performance Modifications Post Suspension related modification information and/or questions here

JIC-Magic FLT-A2(RS). coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gerzdavj is an unknown quantity at this point
JIC-Magic FLT-A2(RS). coilovers

JIC-Magic FLT-A2(RS). Are these the best coilovers for our car.
Tein SS or B&g I know one is for racing other for show but JIC will those fit perfectly on our
cars and does anyone have a review on these
Old 07-31-2003
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
what determines best for you? The JICs are one of the best companies. But there are others to choose from like Buddy Club, Apex'i, Tein Flex.

There is a search tool, use it.
Old 07-31-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Robbclark1 has it right, There is no best suspension for the car. It all depends on you. as in..... What level of comfort do you want, and what kind of handling are you looking for and what kind of features do you want with the suspension. The suspension thats "Perfict" for your car depends entirly on you, and your intended application.
Old 07-31-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
In terms of quantity in general, I'd have to say yes... they're definitely up at the top with the Tein Flex next to it, under, or above it by which ever one you like.

The FLT-A2RS lets you customize your spring rates front and back which is more ideal for someone who wants to race or is simply looking for a specific spring rate. The A2's spring rates look quite moderate as I'm told it rides beautifully while handling awesome for the street or track.
Old 07-31-2003
Registered!!

gerzdavj is an unknown quantity at this point
thank you ill probably wait for the tein flex thats the type im looking for.
Old 07-31-2003
All Eyes On Z

The Tein flex has slightly stiffer spring rates than the JIC-Magic... which kinda sucks because I don't want a set of green coilovers. :P
Old 08-02-2003
Registered!!

Snort2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
whoa..JICs are out for our cars?? i didn't even know that...IMO JICs have the best quality rides and it also has awesome handling. can anyone link me to where i can get a set? thx~
Old 08-02-2003
Lowest NHBP coupe in San Francisco

JDM EM2 is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting for the TEIN FLEX
Old 08-02-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by Snort2001
whoa..JICs are out for our cars?? i didn't even know that...IMO JICs have the best quality rides and it also has awesome handling. can anyone link me to where i can get a set? thx~
Technically they're out for the EP3 and have been out for about 3 months, but for some reason JIC-Magic made them work for the coupe/sedan. It's good to know that the EP3 is quite close to the EM2 suspension wise and inside the engine bay.

I was hoping they would do something for our cars. I was calling Ziel n **** about that and about their exhausts. I guess they heard my cry.
Old 08-03-2003
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
to anyones standards i think its the best out there... cant really get much better than flt-a2s...
Old 08-03-2003
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Snort2001
Just buy the FLT-A2's for the EP hatch that's what I have and they are PERFECT!
Old 08-03-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Hold on now.... Jic makes good suspensions, no doubt. But the best suspension for you and your car is based entirly on what your intended application is.

If all you are looking for in a suspension is improved handling and improved ride qualitly, then you Don't need something like the FLT-A2's or Teins FLEX Dampeners. Something like the SS or B&G's would work fine. Personally Im looking at KW's Type III Dampener(when It comes out). I feel that the Spring rates of the KW's will perform better on an autocross track then either the FLT-A2 or FLEX Dampener.

Look at what you intend to do with your car and select a suspension set up thats right for you, dont just go out and buy the most expensive part and assume that its the best. The best suspension is the one that fits your needs.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 08-03-2003 at 11:46 PM.
Old 08-04-2003
The Standard One

you can make the JIC to what you specifically want. you can adjust spring rates on the jics so how does it perform better than kws? n ya ss might be good enough but bottom line whats better ss or flts. true something expensive doesnt mean its better but in this case there's some truth in it.
Old 08-04-2003
Autocross Junky

options.... the type III has adjustible compression and rebound. so far all the other availible suspesions only have adjustible compression.

and other things, like % of difference between the spring rates on the front vs the rear. stuff like that tells me when and where the car will go from Understeer to nutural steer to Oversteer (when compaired to other spring rates). so far the KW's have the highest % difference so they should help more in Low and Mid speed corners (Autocross) then Jic or Flex. The Jic and Flex look to be the better suspension when it comes to a Track day, but I feel that with the right set of adjustible antiroll bars you could tune out the higher speed oversteer that the KW's spring rates may cause.

Some thing I found out about at the last autocross event while talking to a guy that races at the nationals. Apparently Most national level autocrossers don't use suspension set ups like Tein Jic or Kw ect.... they simply run a set of custom rate springs (Like Neuspeed or H&R or Eibach) and a set of Custom valved Konis. Thats it.

Suspension set ups for The street, Autocross or Track days are completely different (I leave out Pure race applications because riding on 1000Ft/lb springs is Nuts for any one on the street).

Street suspensions are designed for Comfort and safty, with slightly improved handling.

Autocross suspensions are designed to be nutural in Slow and Mid speed corners, meaning they will oversteer more in Higherspeed corners.

A Track day setup will be designed to be nutural in Mid to High speed corners, meaning they will Understeer in Slow speed corners.

So Like I said, there is no "Perfect" Suspension for a car. the spring rates and Valving will be different in each intended application.
Old 08-04-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by VNlilMAN
you can make the JIC to what you specifically want. you can adjust spring rates on the jics so how does it perform better than kws? n ya ss might be good enough but bottom line whats better ss or flts. true something expensive doesnt mean its better but in this case there's some truth in it.
The JIC-Magic FLT-A2 does not have adjustable spring rates. The FLT-A2 RS does not either. The RS is a customizable suspension from JIC. What it really is, is you get to choose the spring rate that you want for your car to have for front and back. JIC will supply you with these customized spring. i.e. 15/10, 19/15, 15/19. You choose the one spring rate you want for your springs and they'll give it to you.

This is really good to personalize your suspension the way you want to providing your suspension needs apply to racing your car around a track.

Last edited by SlammedBlueEM2; 08-04-2003 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Most companies will give you customized spring rates though, at a price.
Old 08-04-2003
Your Parts Guy

StreetLevelPerformance is on a distinguished road
Originally posted by Zzyzx

So Like I said, there is no "Perfect" Suspension for a car. the spring rates and Valving will be different in each intended application.
"Perfect" for me...that's what I meant.
Old 08-04-2003
The Standard One

whats the whole difference between ss and flex? is it not the adjustable spring rate? how on the flex you have to adjust the height of the shock body rather than the bottom perch to adjust the height? how on the flex you adjust the bottom perch to adjust the preload which then adjusts the spring rate? i dunno thats how i always thought the flts and the flex worked.
Old 08-04-2003
Autocross Junky

Unless the upper and lower spring mounts are attached to each other some how then there is no real way to preload the spring. if they were, then it would defeat the purpous of the spring because the whole suspension would be solid. Its my understanding that the only way to change spring rates is to change the spring.
Old 08-04-2003
All Eyes On Z

Originally posted by VNlilMAN
whats the whole difference between ss and flex? is it not the adjustable spring rate?
No sir.

Tein doesn't teflon coat the SS. Blah.
The Flex is only made for the EP3 but I guess it works with our cars w/o mods like JICs? Not sure.

Tein Super Street: Spring rate: 6/8
* High performance and cost effective.
* 16 levels of damping force adjustment (compression and rebound together).
* Ride height adjustable.
* New paint coating for rust prevention.
* Pillow ball mounts are optional (on certain applications). (But not for our cars.)
* Exclusive design for USA vehicle specifications (only available for the U.S.A Market).
* Available for overhaul.

Tein Type Flex: Spring rate: 8/10

* Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload.
* 16 levels of damping force adjustment (compression and rebound together).
* Teflon coating for rust prevention.
* Newly designed spring seat and spring seat lock for easy height adjusting.
* Pillow ball upper mounts are included.
* Compatible with EDFC.
* Available for overhaul.

You pretty much get stiffer spring rates, teflon coating, pillowball uppermount, and EDFC as an option. Adjusting different between the two?
Old 08-06-2003
The Standard One

well i dont know too much about the flex but there was a discussion at clubrsx.com about the flts(cause they've been out for awhile for them now) and they said that there was an extra adjustment on it. i'll try to search for the thread. maybe seeing the pic will help...

i'm sure its ture with the flex tho. i doubt flex is $400 more just for the rust proof, spring rate and upper mount.
Old 08-06-2003
The Standard One

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread...h&pagenumber=2
page 2. bhcvc's post

flt- you can clearly see there is 3 locking things... 2 for the perch(spring load) and 1 for the shock body(height)

ss- there's only 2.. the lower perch used to adjust the height

flex- from the looks of it theres 3 too just like the flts.