Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Scraping noise after changing front brakes and hub

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ob1ob is an unknown quantity at this point
Scraping noise after changing front brakes and hub

While changing the front pads and rotors I found two wheel studs spinning on my right wheel. After cutting off the lug nuts, I replaced the hub and finished the brakes. Now there is a scraping sound from the front right wheel while driving. I bent the dust sheild and greatly reduced the noise but didn't completely eliminate it. I'll mess with the brake shield some more to see if I can make it stop. Should I be worried about anything else like wheel bearing damage when I installed the hub or something else with the brakes? Thanks.

Last edited by ob1ob; 06-27-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about
Re: Scraping noise after changing front brakes and hub

This is a scary post..Check the rotor for run out with a dial indicator from Harbor Freight.. Make sure the pistons are not tight holding the pads against the rotor after you let off the brake pedal.
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

wheel bearing or brakes,

are you sure the dust shield is not touching the rotor? this should be easy to see,

brake pads in the correct way? not backwards?

hub nut torqued properly? this should be done with the car in the air, not with the wheel on the ground,

is it a new hub/wheel bearing?
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Thanks for the replies. I drove it a little yesterday and feel pretty certain the rotor is rubbing something. I'll double check the brake shield and pads and rotor run out. I borrowed a torque wrench from O'Reilly when reinstalling the axle nut and verified 134 foot pounds while off the ground. It's a new hub but not a new bearing. I used a puller with slide hammer to pull the old hub and installed a new one.
Old 06-28-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

something jammed between the pad and the rotor?
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ob1ob
It's a new hub but not a new bearing. I used a puller with slide hammer to pull the old hub and installed a new one.
how did you press in the wheel bearing?
Old 06-28-2016
Registered!!

Well, I'm pretty embarrassed to say that I think that I removed half of the inner race of the wheel bearing when I removed the old hub. This whole ordeal started with a simple brake change, and I was in such a hurry to get this done that I didn't pay attention to what I was doing. I realized this mistake earlier today. I won't have time to fix this myself before needing the car, so I'm dropping my car off with a friend to fix it.