Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Placement of tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005
Since 2002 Baby!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
Question Placement of tires?

I replaced 2 tires, why did the shop put them on the rear and not the front?

Am I an idiot for missing something on this one or are they wrong. I feel like there is a reason for putting the new tires on the rear.

thanks
Old 08-24-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
did u ask them to put em there or what?
Old 08-24-2005
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
moved to the Wheels,Tires & Brakes forum
Old 08-24-2005
Premium Member

dopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond reputedopes6070 has a reputation beyond repute
they put the good tires on the rear for added traction to help avoid idiots from spinning out because of bald rear tires. if your front dont have much tread you will just understeer which is ususally much less dangerous.
Old 08-25-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by dopes6070
they put the good tires on the rear for added traction to help avoid idiots from spinning out because of bald rear tires. if your front dont have much tread you will just understeer which is ususally much less dangerous.
uhhmmm..... i think having new tires on the fronts are better cuz since our cars are fwd its really easy to loose control when the fronts are bald compared to the rear.....
Old 08-25-2005
Since 2002 Baby!

chicohonda02 has a spectacular aura aboutchicohonda02 has a spectacular aura about
i'd think putting them on the front would be best, but its cool, i'll be getttin the front replace soon anyways.
Old 08-25-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
wel tires that have a few hundred miles on them handle better and grip better so if the little bit older tires are on the front they should be better. the ones in the back will be broken in nicely too since you cant really abuse them.

that and/or they are just trying to **** you off! lol
Old 08-25-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
After reading several post about people spinning out (under normal driving) after changing 2 new front tires and putting best used tires on the rear (thats the way I have always done it) I try to change them all 4 at once, which is not a cheap option. I would try it the way they have it and be careful, Civics suck in the rain.
Old 08-25-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If it bothers you, rotate them. Simple solution, takes 20 minutes. It really makes no difference. If they pulled the rears off to replace, then they just put them back where they were.
Old 08-25-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
What I was going to say is next time have them rotated sooner so that they wear more evenly and then your tires will last longer and be safer, longer.
Old 08-26-2005
Since 2002 Baby!

thanks everyone. i think I will jsut leave them
Old 08-28-2005
ricer hatin' motha!

NAstage2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CraigW
After reading several post about people spinning out (under normal driving) after changing 2 new front tires and putting best used tires on the rear (thats the way I have always done it) I try to change them all 4 at once, which is not a cheap option. I would try it the way they have it and be careful, Civics suck in the rain.

Im sorry, but unless those cars were modified (read retarded sized roll bars and other suspension mods) there has to be some serious driver error to get a basically stock civic to spin, even on bald tires. The car is designed to understeer in every condition known to man in order to prevent this from happeneing.

The only reason why they would spin out, even with bald tires, is if they are traveling too fast for the conditions, and did something stupid like hit the brakes when they felt the car sliding.

Needless to say you should ALWAYS have even wear on your tires. Its also not a good idea to run different types of tires.