Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Finished rotor and brake pad install.. need feedback (ProStop & EBCs)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Question Finished rotor and brake pad install.. need feedback (ProStop & EBCs)

I was all ready to write out an extensive DIY on replacing rotors and brake pads (with the help of Grey's DIY), but half the stuff i was doing i wasn't sure about the part i found the hardest was the piston needing to be pushed in.. that sucker is hard to push! i didn't have a clamp anywhere so i undid the bleed screw and let some fluid out as i pushed the piston back. the boot on the driver's side is fine, but the other side it's sticking out just a tad on one side.. really don't think it'll be an issue. i greased up the back of the pads really good and finished the install. took me about 7 hours to complete, but i could probably do it all over again in 3 now. I also ended up removing the caliper because i didn't realize it was as simple as sliding it upwards.

the thing i'm worried about most is my brake pedal being very loose.. i pressed it several times to seat the pads, ans even after driving around for about 10 minutes, braking a dozen times from 30mph~5mph, the pedal can be pressed in practically to the floor. i'm not even sure it's 100% braking power when it's like that. anyone experience this before? could this be a result from letting some fluid out of the bleeder screw? the reservoir is still at a sufficient level.. perhaps air got into the lines. I do intend to bleed the lines first thing tomorrow, hopefully that will cure the problem.

I also get a fast clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the brake pedal when i release the brake quickly. it's maybe like 3-5 fast clicks (depending how much it was pressed down to begin with), but if i do it slow enough, it doesn't click at all. what could this be?

what else.. i get a slight metallic sounding noise when i'm driving, but from what i've read it's common with the EBC pads.. looks like they're just brushing the rotors lightly when the brakes arent being used.

i need some relief. is there anything you think I may have done wrong? are these common symptoms that go away? feel free to post about your brake install experience
Old 10-19-2003
Registered!!

antsh will become famous soon enoughantsh will become famous soon enough
I have the same setup as you. Oddly enough one of my boots sticks out a little bit as well. When I installed my pads it seemed as though they were too thick, to the point where you can feel and hear them grip the rotors considerably when I wasn't on the brakes. I ended up sanding the pads a little bit. Now there are no problems and they work much better than the stock setup. My pedal does however feel very soft and there is some movment in it before the pads grip, I'm guessing this will go away one they get bedded.
Old 10-19-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Bleeding the brakes will probably solve the problem to the unstiff brake pedal and you have to do it twice i think so you get all the air/fluid out.
Old 10-19-2003
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
i just finished bleeding the lines.. i couldn't believe how much air was in the lines! I went ahead and did all 4 wheel cylinders.. ended up using about a pint of brake fluid. didn't get the fluid as clean as I wanted to, but i think i got the majority of dirt out of the lines. my car feels so fresh now (..it's a mind thing). the pedal movement issue is completely resolved, and I don't hear the clicking anymore as I release the pedal, but that could be because the pedal isn't being pushed down as far as it used to. has about 1 inch of slack now. now all i get is that metallic noise when i drive from the brakes bushing the rotors, which i gues should happen for awhile.

any tips on breaking in the rotors/pads? Power Slot recommends they be heat cycled, so i've been doing some driving where i'll go 50mph, then after 15-20 seconds i'll brake moderately down to 10mph, then repeat
Old 10-22-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Breaking them in is easy enough. I just use one rule. Do things slowly. Then slowly build up your braking. After the initial break in period, you can heat cycle them. Simply go out onto some on-ramps and off-ramps. A double figure 8 highway intersection works best. Then accelerae to 60mph on the on-ramp and break hard to a stop before the off-ramp. Repeat this a coupel of times and then drive around for a while to let the rotors cool down. Then repeat, but brake even harder. Do this 4 times and you should be all set.

As for the brake fluid thing... Yeah, I hear you. I bet I have some air in my lines now too. Time to bleed the brakes with some DOT 4 brake fluid. I'll buy some speed bleeders too. I think I'll make a DIY on that.
Old 10-29-2003
Mex
Registered!!

ok, one thing about these EBC pads, they're supposed to almost eliminate brake dust. and i think the slotted and dimpled rotors are supposed to assist too.. well.

it seems i'm getting even more brake dust than before. is this just part of the brake-in period? (no pun intended)
Old 10-30-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
No. More brake dust = more brake dust. That's why I reccomend AEM/Nissin pads. Then again, brake dust means they're working. hehe...
Old 10-30-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
hey mex...nice rims....wat color is the car
Old 10-30-2003
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Mex
ok, one thing about these EBC pads, they're supposed to almost eliminate brake dust. and i think the slotted and dimpled rotors are supposed to assist too.. well.

it seems i'm getting even more brake dust than before. is this just part of the brake-in period? (no pun intended)
I've got the exact same combo, and I've got the same problem as you. My white rims are now black. I'm thinking it might have to do something with the brakes wearing in, but I think I've had em on for ~500 miles and still the same problems. I will admit, that even though their dusting more, I stop a lot better when the brakes are cold. The EBCs don't seem to grip as well when you heat them up a bit.
Old 10-30-2003
Retired suspension supermod.

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
yep they are dustier. And i feel i have to push further down on the brake pedal before the kick in, but once they kick in they work great. I find they work better when hotter because EBC says their pads work better as they warm up. I think you got a weird set of pads Taz. The thing about the dust off the EBCs is that it is easier to clean than the OEM pads, but still get dust.
Old 10-30-2003
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Originally posted by robbclark1
yep they are dustier. And i feel i have to push further down on the brake pedal before the kick in, but once they kick in they work great. I find they work better when hotter because EBC says their pads work better as they warm up. I think you got a weird set of pads Taz. The thing about the dust off the EBCs is that it is easier to clean than the OEM pads, but still get dust.
I know EBC says that they're supposed to work a lot better when they warm up, but with all the city driving I do, they just seem to stop better when colder. I'm going to have to find an empty parking lot (that cops dont decide to sit in!) and make a couple of runs back and forth and warm the brakes up and try stopping. I wonder if my ABS could have anything to do with it?
Old 10-30-2003
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
They look really good. If I had some money, I'd get the pads and rotors, but hey, I gotta go to school.