Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

16" OR 17"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by LikeWEEEEEEEEEE
wait...tell me you are joking. why would you even think of getting a tire like a cheater which have big sidewalls when you dont drag? for autocrossing ive been told low profile tires.

It depends on the Construction of the tire. Example, I have autocrossed 2 sets of tires, one is a 205/40ZR17 (Very short side wall) the other is a 205/50R15 (Rather tall side wall)

the 17 is a Falken Ziex 512, a decent street tire.
the 15 is a Falken Azenis Sport, designed for autocross/road course.

the tire presures I used to stop tire roll over are as follows.
205/40ZR17 45 on the front and 32 on the rear.
205/50R15 40 on the front and 30 on the rear.

the reason I can use a lower pressure on the tires with Higher side walls is because the tire was made for turning (it has very stiff sidewalls) where the 17's having street tires on them used softer sidewalls to help with ride comfort.
Old 05-29-2003
Registered!!

BLKCIV01 is an unknown quantity at this point
go wit 17's it wont slow it down that much.
Old 05-29-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
I honestly did not notice any change in acceleration with my 17's. I also have a 215/45/17 tire.
Old 05-29-2003
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Go for the 17" Konigs, they look great. I have a new silver set of Konig 17" Rated Rs on my civic and I love em. Now ill put this to you as easily as possible, "You civic is already slow." 1" larger rim size won't make a noticable difference. The plus about larger rims though is that they look better, 16" rims with lo-pro tires don't look as good in my opinion. I think that larger rims get better traction too, since the tires have to be bigger. To help you out in your decision making, here is a link to my site w/ pics of my car and rims. Not many people have these rims, I think maybe only one other on this site, so your getting something that will make your civic a little different if you ask me.

http://www.angelfire.com/ex/zachscivic
Old 05-29-2003
Smell My Face!!

Distinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant futureDistinctive has a brilliant future
run 18's.....go big