Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

rear wheel disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hondamexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
rear wheel disc brakes

I was wondering if anybody has installed rear disc brakes on their cars? How complicated is it to switch the drums?

I´ve been wondering if it would be worth installing rear disc brakes on my civic EX. For example, adapting them from an Accord EX 4 cyl.

Is it a bolt off bolt on procedure? How would it affect my ABS? How much can it cost?
Old 02-11-2003
I sure wish my car was newer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
I can't answer most of what you asked. But I can tell you you're going to pay a WHOLE lot to do the conversion.
Old 02-11-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know about an accord... I suppose if the hubs and spindles fit you could do it, but you'd need new rims too (bolt pattern).
Easiest way is to get them off an EP hatch. As far as the swap procedure, I don't know. Maybe you can just bolt on the entire lower control arm. I'm not sure, I haven't researched it all that much, but it's something I'd like to do in the future.
I know you need the discs, calipers, lines, e-brake cables, hubs and spindles at the least to do the swap. I'm not sure what else. Maybe you can see if AEM or Wilwood or someone has a PDF file for installing them on a 6th gen, just to get an idea of what the conversion involves... but it won't be the same for ours.
Old 02-12-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CrazyCakes is an unknown quantity at this point
ssbrakes.com has rear disc conversion (and big brake front) for like $700 or $800 it has 12" rotors and comes w/ the calipers in any color. jus a thought only thing is you have to have 16" or bigger wheels to fit them in
Old 02-13-2003
Registered!!

hondamexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks,

I´ll check ssbrakes. I have 16 inch rims, so there´s space in there for something bigger. Looks like it´s kind of complicated, I though this could be a bolt off - bolt procedure. Probably not worth it, it would be better to just upgrade the front brakes.

and actually I think my brakes are good, the problem I have is that they wear out extremely fast. My car has 18K kilometers (about 13k miles i think) and it already needs new shoes and pads for the second time (I drive up and down hill and over many speed bumps, which explains why they don´t last. Maybe just getting better shoes instead of the oem ones...
Old 02-13-2003
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
If you get a hookup its not that expensive. My friend offered me to do it at his cousin's place for like $300.

-Aki
Old 02-14-2003
Registered!!

Rider is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: aki
If you get a hookup its not that expensive. My friend offered me to do it at his cousin's place for like $300.

-Aki[hr]
GO FOR IT

Eric