Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake Upgrade Question

I'm sick of the crappy stock brakes that we have on our cars. What upgrades would you recomend to get better braking performance (shorter stop distance, less brake fade) and long laster. I guess it would require a combination of upgrading my front rotors and all 4 pads. Any thing I can do to my rear brakes besides pads. Can you name specific parts I should consider? And I would prefer to hear from people with experiance with the upgrades; if they would recoemnd it or not. Thanks guys.
Old 06-29-2002
Registered!!

pimpdakota is an unknown quantity at this point
whats up Phillpe!
Id have to recommend gong to tire rack.com and checking out the rotors and pads they have to offer! You could go with a high heat brake for like closed circuit tracks as these brakes will be able to resist the heat and be less susceptable to brake fading during high heat! You should also look into a set of drilled or slotted rotors if your gonna be doing some serious stopping! Also the stock wheels arent very good at letting cool air to the rotor area because the wheel is a solid peice of steel with a few {very few} air inlets! So if you had a wheel that was more open then that would keep the brakes at a better operating temperature! And if wanna get serious get some goodridge steel braided brake lines, these will keep the psi on your brake pad pistons up! Because the factory brake lines are a rubber only line they will expand and retract with the change of psi and pressure! The braided lines wont expand, they will keep the pressure where its needed! Brakes! Dakota
Old 06-29-2002
Registered!!

Thanks Pimp, informative as usual. I have read that the slotted/cross drilled rotors have a chance of cracking? How likely is this to happen? Also, would the pad/rotor combo be easy to install my self?
Old 06-29-2002
Registered!!

Yes i believe that the rotor/ pad installation would be an easy feat to tackle for a common sense owning person such as yourself! it would require some very basic hand tools and some jackstands or a floor jack! I beleive that grey had a diy a while back about changing the rotor, and the brake pads are just a a minute or two more to do the brake pads! And the cross drilled slotted rotor cracking stuff may be true on some lower quality unheattreated metal! But i beleive that brembo makes a damn good drilled rotor! But like anything it will need to be broken in! Just like a break in period on your car there is a break in period on the rotors! Dakota
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

How long would said break in period last? And how would my stopping distance/pedal fade be durring this break in period?
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
Hey Pimp hows the truck? Anyway i wanted to know something. I have the money for the AEM brake upgrade and wanted to do the goodridge brake lines as well...im getting some Velox VX8's in 17. Hows this setup sound for hard breaking and heat disipation?
Old 06-30-2002
Registered!!

ok! I feel that the aem brake kit is a waste of cash UNLESS you get a 4 pot brake piston kit also! I mean that if your gonna get bigger rotors then you should get more brake pad! THE more the fricton area= better braking! If you look at a wildwood brake setup then you will notice that it comes with larger pads and most of the time use a larger suface area on the rotor! Aem brake upgrade is to costly for the performance you gain! You could easily do a brembo sloted or drilled rotor with a set of green or red stuff pads, and some braided brake lines and still save $$$$$$$$! And get better ferformance!

philleppe , the break in cycle for the brake rotors should be , light braking with some heavay surges! I say you should do this for about 100-150 miles! During those times your gonna wanna retorque your rims as the metal from the rotors expands and retracts as it heats and cools! dakota