Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

New brake lines - after bleed, still spongy

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got2run5 will become famous soon enoughgot2run5 will become famous soon enough
New brake lines - after bleed, still spongy

I bent, flared, and ran all new hardlines. Finished it up, and then bled the brakes FL, FR, RR, RL. Used the 2 person method with one pressing the brake with the car off. Went until I got fluid from each valve. RR was difficult; seems like the bleeder was clogged, but I managed to get fluid trickling out from the threads if loosened enough. Unfortunately, it still feels like there is air in the system. No visible leaks from any of the fittings. The brake pedal only gains pressure near the end of its travel. I'm going to try to rebleed, but I'm wondering, from someone more knowledgeable - do I need to do something special to bleed the master and/or abs module? MC was completely emptied when putting in all new lines.

For future googlers - some info I had trouble finding:
On a 2001 civic - flare type is a bubble flare, fittings are bubble fittings 10mm X 1.
Old 05-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New brake lines - after bleed, still spongy

The clogged bleeder-- you can take it out and clean the clog out of the passage with a piece of wire (paper clip? Drill bit?). Reinstall and rebleed.

Poor pedal, if the master went empty you may have a rough time. It still has air in the system....MC might need bench bled, and/or you may need more intensive bleeding procedures than usual.

Check this post: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...ml#post4723710

Also note the possibility of master cylinder being bad after bleeding brakes. It can happen.
Old 05-15-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. Would it help to disconnect the line that goes into the ABS from the master cylinder and then try to press fluid through? I'm wondering if those V shaped lines are holding air in there.

As for your enhanced bleeding method... before I give it a try tonight, what keeps your the fluid in the bottle from just rushing out and overflowing the brake fluid reservoir? Vacuum pressure?
Old 05-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by got2run5
Thanks for the reply. Would it help to disconnect the line that goes into the ABS from the master cylinder and then try to press fluid through? I'm wondering if those V shaped lines are holding air in there.
Bleeding the master lines at the ABS unit is covered in the linked post.

what keeps your the fluid in the bottle from just rushing out and overflowing the brake fluid reservoir? Vacuum pressure?
Science!
Same reason a pet automatic water dispenser doesn't overflow onto the floor.

Old 05-16-2017
Registered!!

Cracked open the MC lines to the abs and bled twice and pressure is acceptable now. Thanks for the tips!