Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Power Steering Fluid in Brake System

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014
RDS
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDS is an unknown quantity at this point
Power Steering Fluid in Brake System

So I put power steering fluid in the brake system and drove about 75 miles before realizing what I'd done.

My question is, what can I do to rectify this, can I bleed the system and leave it at that? If not, what parts will need to be replaced?

My car has ABS, and the light hasn't come on yet, the brakes seem to work fine, I put about 4 ounces of power steering fluid in the brake reservoir.
Old 05-27-2014
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Power Steering Fluid in Brake System

Bleed the bejeezus out of all 4 wheels, but make sure you keep replenishing the reservoir with new fluid. Then bleed it some more. Make sure the brake fluid starts coming out the same color as the stuff you're putting in. Make sure there are no air pockets in your lines. Chalk it up to experience, drive safely!
Old 05-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

So I put power steering fluid in the brake system

where is a picture of Homer Simpson saying D'OH! when i need it?

but seriously.....

most of the fluid you added will most likely still be in the brake master cylinder, no point in pushing all that fluid through the entire system,

i would suck the master cylinder dry first....then top it up with brake fluid and bleed the system,
Old 05-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

How far do you think the oil got?
Do you know what petroleum does to rubber brake seals, and how quickly that damage is done?

I'd say to replace the master cylinder just to avoid the inevitable problem of swollen master seals and brakes that apply themselves...... and I'd want to clean out (backwards) the brake lines as far as possible before the new master goes on.
Old 05-29-2014
RDS
Registered!!

Thanks everyone, I siphoned what I could from the reservoir, added brake fluid, drove it around a bit, siphoned it again, the brakes still work, they feel mushy, but IDK if that's just my imagination.

I'm just gonna replace the master cylinder, calipers, drum cylinders and end lines.

I'm hoping I can source all parts for less than $200.
Old 05-29-2014
RDS
Registered!!

I have one question, the parts mentioned above, if my car has ABS, do they need to be for an ABS car or is it the same between ABS and non ABS? Would I need a new ABS pump?

Last edited by RDS; 05-29-2014 at 12:27 PM.