Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Brake chatter after 18's installed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bennicus is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake chatter after 18's installed

So I put on some 18's yesterday and have noticed a lot of brake chatter when driving. If I apply the brakes the noise goes away. I'm pretty sure the front rotors are warped as the rotors have some serious grooves in them and the steering wheel shakes during braking. So my question is by putting on the 18's could this magnify the sound of the brake noise because it sure didn't sound like this when I had the stock 15's? Is getting a brake job done going to remedy this or is this noise going to be back because of wheel size? Any insight on this is appreciated.
Old 06-08-2011
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Brake chatter after 18's installed

Putting 18s on will affect in a few ways:
1. They add mass to ur wheels making your brakes work even harder. And maybe ur brakes were on the verge of needing to be rePlaced and so by making them work harder you saw The wear faster
2. 18s will usually make a lot more noise compared to the 15 due to the low profile tire. This is prob contributing to your noise
Old 06-08-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Brake chatter after 18's installed

It's also possible that you need hubcentric rims to use the rims you purchased, and that's whats causing the shaking.