Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

need input on bead blasting rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jumby181 is an unknown quantity at this point
need input on bead blasting rims

stock alloy del sol rims, not fat fives but the skinny ones. have them stripped with aircraft stripper and planned on a light bead blast to finish cleaning them up to prep for paint.

had posed a question about the valve stems on the tires on another honda forum, mentioned the bead blasting and got a few replies that this will wreck the rims. to quote:

'As for bead blasting; I would advise against it. It can change the structural integrity of an alloy wheel, and could make the wheels unfit to drive on'

anyone care to chime in on the practice? seems I have seen bead blasting mentioned and advertised as a pretty common practice...
Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: need input on bead blasting rims

Well, if it's a strong enough abrasive I could see it eating into the alloy and compromising the integrity. Depends on the bead used, there are different kinds of beads you know. The owner's manual for the blaster should be able to tell you what you need. If you've lost yours you can probably find it on the internet, you can find manuals for just about anything nowadays.
Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

planning on using glass beads which are already in the blasting cabinet
Old 05-30-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

It'll be fine.

The idea that media blasting and powder coating wheels causes fundamental damage to their structure has been floating around forums for years, and there is a degree of truth to it. It's become a bit of a fish tale though, the advice is exagerated and taken out of context by people whose limited understanding of subjects has been gained entirely through forums. By wheel standards the del-sol rims are pretty rugged and can handle being sand blasted without issue if they're structurally sound, it's super light weight, highly engineered wheels that weigh less than 10 pounds that justify a concern. There's a couple shops near my house that offer set prices on sand blasting and powder coating wheels and have done so for years.
Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

pretty much what I was thinking, but I'm always willing to learn something. I could see it with the sort of rims you mentioned. but something as solid as these del sol rims dones with glass bead would be fine is my thought. won't be a lot of heat generated, at least not enough to damage teh alloy and the glass bead isn't aggressive enough to remove large amounts of alloy...
Old 05-30-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MindBomber
It'll be fine.

The idea that media blasting and powder coating wheels causes fundamental damage to their structure has been floating around forums for years, and there is a degree of truth to it. It's become a bit of a fish tale though, the advice is exagerated and taken out of context by people whose limited understanding of subjects has been gained entirely through forums. By wheel standards the del-sol rims are pretty rugged and can handle being sand blasted without issue if they're structurally sound, it's super light weight, highly engineered wheels that weigh less than 10 pounds that justify a concern. There's a couple shops near my house that offer set prices on sand blasting and powder coating wheels and have done so for years.
Good info. It'll save me from ruining my rims considering the 45's I have on there weight more than the rims they're on. At least the previous owner spent money on good rims.