Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drjvic04 is on a distinguished road
Rotor replacement

I am removing my brake rotors and Im having trouble with those screws that hold the rotors onto the spindle.

I know you need an impact wrench but I have already stripped the phillips screws to bits.

So how do I take these screws out now?

By drilling them out?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Rotor replacement

You needed to use an impact driver. I say if you cant drill them out try using heat as well as a big flat head. Soak it in pb blaster or something that is penetrating. One time when I stripped a screw I got lucky and a torx fit in maybe try that or an allen key. If all else fails there are extractors you can buy.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

02whiteem2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah those are a bitch to get out. if u already stripped them then you have to drill them out. go get an extractor set and some new screws. Did u strip them with the impact hammer?
Old 04-07-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Shoulda used an impact screwdriver.... but you need to drill them out with a reverse threaded extractor. As much as I hate their tool department, sears they sell them.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light

And when you get them out, dont put new ones back in.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about

actually, if you have an impact driver, you can still get those little bolts out. all you have to do is give the impact driver a good wack while holding it against the bolts. the driver's bits are made of a harder material than the bolts, so it'll actually indent itself into the head of the bolt allowing you to unscrew them.

you can put new bolts back in when you install new rotors, but just do them hand tight with a screwdriver. thats what i do at least.
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

remmick69 will become famous soon enough

you can also use a center punch to hammer them in the direction to unscrew them. thats what i did... use a lil heat too...
Old 04-07-2009
Registered!!

Shifty is on a distinguished road

if you already stripped them then you are fine drilling them out. Personally I dont see the point of the damn things, I never reinstalled mine, makes changing rotors at the track faster. Besides, obviously when you bolt your wheels on they secure the rotors in place
Old 04-07-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

^ that is true, but if you dont want your rotors to fall off while doing a break pad replacements or coilover adjustments then screws are a good idea.. to each their own.