Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Going to 17" wheels, need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Going to 17" wheels, need help.

My tire puchasing for past couple cars has been limited to going into a tire store, and having them put on a brand of tire i've heard of, the same size as OEM, as they were going on the factory steel wheels. Now that i have a decent car, i'd like to go with summer tires on 17 inch wheels.

I've narrowed my wheel search down to Kobe Kam5s, Kobe Rebels, Enkei RSVs or Rota Attacks or Rota Grids. see wheelsnext and MachIII websites.

I have a number of questions about these. They're going on an 04, 2dr silver civic dx with dark window tint. Color wise, should i go with silver to match the car, or black or hyperblack to contrast with the car color?

As far as sizing, what kind of wheel do i need for my 04 civic with stock brakes and suspension? The brakes may eventually upgraded to better pads, rotors and shoes, but no big brakes, and no lowering of the car till the warranty runs out. I want a 17" diameter, but what width?? Should i stick with 7 or can i go 7.5 width?? What offset range should i stay in, so as not to screw up the handling or void the warranty by breaking something in the suspension??

Also, what size tires?? I've been told a 215/45/17 should work for 17x7 wheel, and keep the rolling radius the same as stock. Is this true, and will that tire size work on 17x7.5 wheels too, or do i need a different size tire if i get the wider rims.

I want the car to look better, and maybe have the handling improve slightly with stickier tires, and less tire between the wheel and the road. Please post any opinions you may have. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2006
Registered!!

HondaSaurusLX is an unknown quantity at this point
I think a 205/45/17 would probably be your best bet. According to the tire calc it is the only 17" tire that should make no errors in your speedo. As for color, I would suggest hyper silver, it's a bright silver with just a touch of black in the paint.. Here is a pic of one. As for your other questions

Last edited by HondaSaurusLX; 07-01-2006 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-02-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by AmbulanceMonkee
I want the car to look better, and maybe have the handling improve slightly with stickier tires, and less tire between the wheel and the road.
Look better, improve handling, and less tire gap. Lowering the car accomplishes all of that. Its your choice though, but imo car's with 17's look like a$$ without lowering.

If your not going to lower your car, stick with 215/45/17. No use in getting 205's because your not going to rubbing. I've been at stock height with 215/45/17. You can away with a 7.5" rim. Whether you get a 7" rim or a 7.5" rim, your tire still has the same width.
Old 07-02-2006
Registered!!

BC2-Vic is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm running 18" with Nakang tires. 225/35 R18. Runs great, great handling
Old 07-02-2006
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for all your opinions. And by the way, the car will get lowered eventually. For now, i'll have to stick with wheels, and maybe better struts and/or a strut tower brace and sway bar.

I've decided on the Rota Torques in hypersilver, but now i need help with tires. As both are the same price, and both can be had in 215/45/17, I have to decide between the Toyo Proxes FZ4, and the Nankang FS1. Any idea which will wear and/or handle better??

As it's not allowing me to post a pic or a link cause i'm new, you'll have to look for a pic of the wheels at subydude.com

Last edited by AmbulanceMonkee; 07-03-2006 at 03:11 AM.
Old 07-08-2006
Rape is no laughing matter--Unless your raping a clown!

CplJon will become famous soon enough
Here's my 215/45/17, it looked decent stock height, and no problem with lowering.

Stock suspension

Lowered
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

gotarheels03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Sujak
im using 17x7.5 with 215/40/17 (fits very nice). most say you cannot go 205 with a 7.5 rim but you can and it will save you like $20 a tire at vulcantire.com. But 215 has a little bigger sidewall and is wider so more meat on the wheel if you accidently bump a curve. ~2% speedo slower, so really no affect unless your going 100+ you'll be doing 98ish.
215's dont have a bigger sidewall. 215/40/17 and 205/40/ have the same sidewall.

215/45/17 is the closest to stock.
Old 07-18-2006
Registered!!

riced will become famous soon enoughriced will become famous soon enough
dun worry i don't like to flame, but if you read the FAQ in the wheels/tires/break section u will hv all ur Qs answered for offset, size.. etc

out of your list, i'd prefer enkei and rota for them being a better quality budget rims
u might wanna check out OZ rims too, they're good quality rims, with just slightly higher prices

Last edited by riced; 07-18-2006 at 11:38 AM.