Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Rim Fitting for a Lowered Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006
...ever grinning...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JesterMasque is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Rim Fitting for a Lowered Car

Hey, I'm getting my tax refund soon and I want to get some rims before the summer ends. My only problem is that I don't know which rims will actually fit my car because of my springs.

I have a 2002 EX coupe with stock struts and Eibach Sportline springs. I couldn't tell you how much it's lowered because I bought it this way so you'll need some previous knowledge.

I'm looking at the Exel TZ-10 rims on wheelmax.com but apperantly only the 18's fit my car (according to their database).

Would 18x7.5 fit with my car without any rubbing or serious modification? If not, what's the largest size that I can fit with the lowering springs? Thanks for your help and I rep for any useful information ^^

P.S. If you have any suggestions for other rims around the $500 price range that are thin 10-spoke like this I'd appreciate it alot!

Edit 1: No rubbing.

Last edited by JesterMasque; 03-14-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
The rims will fit.

But you also have to factor in alignment + fender rubbing/rolling for fitment.
Old 03-14-2006
...ever grinning...

Edit:
Sorry I didn't mention this, but I don't want any rubbing to happen.

But I did see an article in April Super Street about fender rolling. Would that make it not rub? What if I hit a bump or sumthing of that sort? It IS a daily driver and I want the stuff done right or I save up more until I can get it done right. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I don't have 18s so I can't tell you if it'll rub or not.

I don't think many people had problems with 18s on such a mild drop.
Old 03-14-2006
Registered!!

frostyman is an unknown quantity at this point
I have done the baseball bat fender roll on my old car and it helped with the rubbing however if you hit any kind of bigger bumps/especially pot holes you probably will scrape. As far as the fitment I would think it will be no problem since the drop is not that big.
Old 03-14-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Standard answer... buy the rims, make them fit.
Its impossible to guess. The TIRES rub, not the rims. Some tires are skinnier than others or have rounded shoulders vs square, etc.... and thats often what does it.
Align it out, then resort to fender rolling if need be.
Old 03-14-2006
...ever grinning...

I know that tires rub, I have Toyo Proxes TPT's and I'm probably going to stick with them (or go with the 4's); how would these measure up to it? I saw you give that answer to someone else too Boiler. I don't want to spend $500 on rims, $200 on tires PLUS getting them mounted and balanced only to find out that if I don't want them to rub I have spend like $500 more on modifications or rolling and ****.

I guess what I'm really looking for is someone who has experience or who knows what would happen with this set-up.
Old 03-14-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well I wouldn't worry about gambling with $700 worth of rims and tires, thats peanuts in the wheel and tire world. If as much rim and tire could be stuffed under the car as I stuffed under there, you can stick a 7.5" rim with a 215 tire under there with some minor work or no work at all (all it took was 3/8" of rolling to clear a tire with a 9" section width).
I'm also not sure where you come up with $500 in modifying. An alignment is $60 or 80 bucks and fender rolling is either free (baseball bat) or at most $100 if you pay a shop to deal with it.
Thats my standard answer because its the only answer. Unless you find someone who's got the exact same rim, tire, drop (including any sag or blown strut contribution) and alignment down to the tenth of a degree, you're never going to get a yes/no answer, so just play the game and deal with it. It may not rub at all the first time around. Play conservative if you don't want to deal with it, but if you want to play the game, then play the game.
Old 03-14-2006
...ever grinning...

I want to "play the game" but I want it done right the first time and I don't want hidden problems or issues OR more importantly wasted money on them. I don't exactly have funds to just "make them fit."

And I would never do fender rolling with a baseball bat.
Old 03-14-2006
awd pwnz j00

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a set of 2500 dollar volks that I wasn't sure if they were going to fit, since no one had run that size before. Got them in, bought tires and made them hoes fit; which was easy since all the measuring I did prior to ordering made the wheel fit like a glove.

So basically I'm with boiler, order them and make them fit, it won't be too hard.
Old 05-22-2006
Registered!!

bluestreak is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, i got the same responses from some of the same guys in this thread, 215-45-17 w/ sportlines & HP Blues. They rubbed like a biatch, but just yesterday we got them on. My "ghetto" way of fender rolling worked just fine, using an adjustable wrench on the lip and bending upwards, sure it's hacked but you don't see it, and the wheels don't rub when you add just some neg camber...
Old 05-23-2006
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Well, here's my input. I have neuspeed sports, and my rear used to rub. I went to the alignment shop today and I got them to add more negative camber. It only rubbed in the rear.

My tire size is 205/45/17, and I'm using Yoko ES100's.

Now my tires don't rub.

Last edited by phuviano; 05-23-2006 at 04:56 PM.