Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Attention! Aem Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
Attention! Aem Big Brake Kit

ok i just bought some AEM big brake rotors and had them installed with hawk HPS pads yesterday. The bigger rotor causes the brake pads to have some pad overhang. Its where the actual brake pad hangs off the edge of the rotor, due to the fact that we had to relocate the brake caliper. My question is what will happen when the brake pads wear down to a certain point and the overhang on the pads come into contact with each other and prevents the rest of the pads from touching the rotor???? Thus an accident waiting to happen.

is there anything i can do to fix this problem? maybe have a shop grind down the pads at the top portion so the pads can never come into contact or is there some special pads for these bigger rotors that compensates for this problem out there?

help!
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

D5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of lightD5cIvIc is a glorious beacon of light
And just to prevent anyone from saying this. I don't want to get regular blanks or smaller rotors, unless i have to.
Old 01-09-2006
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
There should not be any pad overhang.. thats a very bad thing as far as brakes go.

Quick solution, get the pads ground down. Better solution, Get rid of the Crappy designed BBK.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

this was a review by a person on the internet:

Install time! Not quite... this is where things get more fun. After cuttin the caliper mounting brakets per MY instructions, I noticed a disturbing thing. Th pads hang over the edge of the brake rotor. P AEM has this to say, "Due to the differing radii of the O.E. caliper and the AEM 12" rotor, there will be a slight amount of brake pad overhang. Compared with the increase of torque generated by the larger moment arm (rotor), the reduction of the brake pad swet area is insignificant". This is disconcerning.

I have yet to drive my car with this brake kit and for some odd reason I don't think I will. (Brembo anyone?)
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifty is on a distinguished road
^^ Amen, they are heavy as hell too...this referring to boilermaker's last post

Last edited by Shifty; 01-09-2006 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

"Due to the differing radii of the O.E. caliper and the AEM 12" rotor, there will be a slight amount of brake pad overhang. Compared with the increase of torque generated by the larger moment arm (rotor), the reduction of the brake pad swet area is insignificant".

that what the AEM had to say about the pad overhang.
Old 01-09-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well given the fact that they don't know WTF they're talking about, get rid of the kit ASAP.
Just go back to stock sized rotors.
Old 01-09-2006
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D5cIvIc
"Due to the differing radii of the O.E. caliper and the AEM 12" rotor, there will be a slight amount of brake pad overhang. Compared with the increase of torque generated by the larger moment arm (rotor), the reduction of the brake pad swet area is insignificant".

that what the AEM had to say about the pad overhang.

Love it, Increasing torque created by the brakes with out increasing the coeficent of friction of the tires = 0 change in stopping distances. :P

all this will do is make you need to press the brake pedal less before the tires lock up.... meaning the brakes will "feel" better in most peoples minds, but in reality all you've done is made it harder to modulate the brakes. (which is why BBK's are pointless in trying to improve stopping distances). now if you are haveing a brake overheating issue then they may be worth it. otherwise,
Old 01-09-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
i went with oem sized brembo slotted/drilled rotors...it is freakin awesome in stopping and the pads i got, get hardley any fade...if any at all
Old 01-09-2006
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
I used aem bbk for over 40k miles now, I gone through two sets, first set lasted me 30-35k miles. Am I the only one in this forum that thinks the bbk is awesome? I switched to brembos stock sized and felt dramatic improvement over the brembos... I dont know if you have overhand d5 but if you want me to look at them come to the same shop, I will tell my friend to look at it for free as well.. Like I said, I used the bbk like that for 40k miles until it started to crack so thats pretty damn awesome. LMK d5civic, you have my number and I will be around just came back.
Old 01-09-2006
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master

fergsonfire is an unknown quantity at this point
Well if you read the AEM statement and actually get something out of it they do make sense. Having a large diameter rotor means that the curvature on the outside is a more gradual slope, therefore when you use pads made for a smaller diameter radius with a large arc the pads will hang over. Its simple geometry. As far as having addition brake torque, it has to do with centripetal force. By equation centripetal force is F=mv^2/r
Where m = mass
v = velocity
r = radius
therefore if you maintain velocity and mass while increasing radius you reduce the amount of centripetal force. If you reduce the centripetal force acting on the brakes then it reduces the amount of brake force required to stop at the same distance. Since braking for is constant and required braking force is reduced. Then brake surface area required is also reduced since braking force applied over an even area is constant, but required force is reduced. Therefore the difference between the pad with hangover and the full pad being applied to the surface of the brake is non-existant if not in the favor of AEM.
Old 01-09-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
does this problem still happen with the powerslot oversized rotors? i know they used to be the AEMs, im just wondering if they were redisgned. im due up for 4 rotors all around.
Old 01-09-2006
Kung-Fu Kar Kare Master

fergsonfire is an unknown quantity at this point
any oversized rotor that uses stock calipers and pads is going to do the because they are designed for a different radius disc. However if you are looking at something along those lines check out Dezod's site they've got some brembo kits. Although starting I think around 1400, but its rotor and caliper. Brembo makes quality stuff. That is what I will be getting here very shortly.
Old 01-09-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
yes brembo is good...after an engine swap my final mod will prolly be a dc5 brembo brake upgrade or a brembo gran turismo kit
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

i called powerslot today, since they took over AEM BBK and the rep. told me that the overhang is only by a little and if we were to have the overhanged pads hit each other, they will simply break apart because our brake caliper delivers an immense amount of torque on the pads or something. He said i should be fine and there's nothign to worry about. He said if it makes me feel better then i can always just have the top portion of hte pads grinding down to about half way so the pad will never hit each other even when worn down. So i don't know what i'll do right now.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Civic_RedLine
I used aem bbk for over 40k miles now, I gone through two sets, first set lasted me 30-35k miles. Am I the only one in this forum that thinks the bbk is awesome? I switched to brembos stock sized and felt dramatic improvement over the brembos... I dont know if you have overhand d5 but if you want me to look at them come to the same shop, I will tell my friend to look at it for free as well.. Like I said, I used the bbk like that for 40k miles until it started to crack so thats pretty damn awesome. LMK d5civic, you have my number and I will be around just came back.
yeah can you take a look at them for me. There is only one possible way to put these things on, so i'm pretty sure they are put on correctly. Are you free anytime Saturday at all? i can go anytime saturday to have your friend take a look at them. let me know james
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

i'm surprised that so many members on this board had this brake kit before and no one has said anything about the pad overhang.
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by blouisgod
does this problem still happen with the powerslot oversized rotors? i know they used to be the AEMs, im just wondering if they were redisgned. im due up for 4 rotors all around.
they are the same as powerslot. that who i called today about this issue. the rep told me "what i put on the other post"
Old 01-09-2006
Registered!!

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...=237707&page=2

look at the bottom of the page. Notice that his brake caliper does not reach all the way to the inside diameter of the rotor. therefore, he is also have some pad overhang, i think, since those look exactly like mine.
Old 01-10-2006
Registered!!

AlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really niceAlpineCivic is just really nice
I never had a problem with my setup. I ran mine for 30K miles or so and never changed my brake pads. When I finally took them off to sell the car I noticed the lip that was created by the overhang

Only thing noticable was a small shake when braking hard, but never had problems stopping, and trust me I had some close calls!

I say Go for it!
Old 01-10-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
mine over hang and i have ZERO worries about them ever failing because they hit each other.. And to all the NAY sayers they do stop faster and better than stock .....yes, yes, yes, i know you can only stop as fast as your tires will allow.
Old 01-10-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
ohh, and they are actually lighter than the stock OE rotors!
Old 01-10-2006
BLDNPSI Mod

ohhh, and yes, yes, yes the mass is further out from the center and it can hinder performance!
Old 01-10-2006
im stock now! T.T

Civic_RedLine will become famous soon enough
if they overhanged then the pads I used wouldve have different groves along the outer part of the pad, but they wore evenly. I do regret using used pads on brand new rotors but the pads were like new because I have only driven in them less than one month..
Old 01-10-2006
Registered!!

^^ are you talking about your old set up or the one that you just sold?
Old 01-14-2006
Registered!!

stripped02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I did a rear disc conversion on my EX and used the AEM BBK for a 99-00 si and I dont have a problem with overhang. I do not recommend this kit though because they may look good but are not that much better than stock