Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

tirerack question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
tirerack question

Im thinking of buying a new set of all season tires for my car (when my 17s arent on, mainly winter/late fall). Right now according to the tire configuration thingy they have on the site, the Bridgestone Potenza G009 looks to be a good match for what im looking for. My question is 1) What are your opinions on this tire (keep in mind its going to be used in the late fall and winter in moderate snow, basically from november - march). 2) When I order tires like this from tirerack, do they come with any sort of stock steelie or anything, or just the rubber? (if they come just as tires, where can I get them installed on my stock hubs?)
Old 01-02-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
ummm you get a tire. Thats all you buy. You then need to take them to a store and have them mounted. Rims aren't free. Read further on tire rack, like maybe the bottom of the order page where it lists RECOMMENDED INSTALLERS
Old 01-02-2006

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
ummm you get a tire. Thats all you buy. You then need to take them to a store and have them mounted. Rims aren't free. Read further on tire rack, like maybe the bottom of the order page where it lists RECOMMENDED INSTALLERS
my bad...just saw that. I think I just figured that steelies were pieces of crap so maybe there was a chance that they came with the tires, but nope. lol.

What do you guys think of the choice of tire then? Good for what im looking for?
Old 01-03-2006
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
there is no correct tire or best tire. a tire is a tire when it comes to snow from what I've heard. you're gonna slip and slide no matter what....you're tires can give at any speeds if it hits ice or slickness in snow.
just remember you're not Auto-X'ing.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by shroomster
a tire is a tire when it comes to snow from what I've heard. you're gonna slip and slide no matter what....you're tires can give at any speeds if it hits ice or slickness in snow.

That's not correct. Dedicated snow tires are going to be a LOT better in snow and ice than a summer performance tire or even a regular all season tire. It would be a night and day difference on snow/ice.
Old 01-03-2006

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
so then why are there winter accidents with people sliding into each other? is it only people who don't change from all season/summer tires, to winter?

p.s. I never did mention anything about winter/summer/ A/s in my original post.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

HonCivX02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well you are still incorrect. Each car/truck/SUV/Plane/Anything pretty much, actually has tires that are considered best applicants for it. For example its recomended that when going to a low pro tire on our year civic only the top 5 of each size are sent out to tire distributers that way they can have a grading scale on what to improve in in their products (if their not top 5) and also to back up proof of the performance of their tires (if they are top 5).

Most winter accidents dont have anything to do with the tire by the way, its the driver. If they knew how the tire performed and still hit them then they probably hit the brakes to late, or didnt see them, or was speeding in unsafe climates, the possibiltys are endless but the problems in the people not products most the time.
Old 01-03-2006

Originally Posted by HonCivX02
Each car/truck/SUV/Plane/Anything pretty much, actually has tires that are considered best applicants for it. For example its recomended that when going to a low pro tire on our year civic only the top 5 of each size are sent out to tire distributers that way they can have a grading scale on what to improve in in their products (if their not top 5) and also to back up proof of the performance of their tires (if they are top 5).

that right there makes absolutely no sense.

Stachmo just stick with the reasearch and get what works/sounds right to you.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

No you just dont understand it, sorry. There are recomended tires for every single automobile out there.... most of the time its the same tires from the same company such as Toyo, or Falken...maybe you can understand that. How else do you think companys get known for having the best tires if they dont have grading scales and test lol. Ill try to find out where in my Toyo product data book and basic tire knowledge a better explanation for you.
Old 01-03-2006

*sigh*

/me waits to be educated, cuz he knows nothing about tires...<<<sarcasm

can we get back to answering stachmo's q please?

that g009 looks good from what I can tell just get a narrow size like I've been hearing boiler say for winter driving.
Old 01-03-2006
just a troll who likes to laugh at YOU.

varmin will become famous soon enough
by the time you pay for mounting, etc., i bet you could find a local shop who would order the tires you want (or have something in stock) and install them for cheaper. i like tirerack, don't get me wrong, but i'm just sayin' - maybe shop locally. it's a good thing to have a local tire shop you get along with. i never pay for minor repairs (tire-related), mostly cause i buy the tires there.

in terms of 'which tire should i get?'...it's a dang snow tire for your steelies...cheaper == better.

/my $.02
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by shroomster
there is no correct tire or best tire. a tire is a tire when it comes to snow from what I've heard. you're gonna slip and slide no matter what....you're tires can give at any speeds if it hits ice or slickness in snow.
apparently you dont know what you are talking about from posting this so i will pm you some information if ya want. To say that a tire is a tire when it comes to snow is outrageous. All tires perform differently in the snow because of the tires quality and features. I got some stuff you can read up on if ya want
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

and i tried to post some pictures of some tire manuals for you but my camera was messing up so sorry i couldnt help more
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Most of the people on this site will back HonCivX02 up. A tire ain't just a tire. Look at the 60' acceleration time differences between the dedicated snow tires, the all season, and the summer tires on this link http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/..._tire_type.jsp
A summer tire takes 2x as long to make it to 60'. You can assume that stopping distances will be along the same trends.

As for the G009, it's a decent all weather tire. If you've got moderate snow and you're buying a set of tires for the winter you might as well get a set of tires that is more geared towards snowy conditions. The Blizzak REVO 1's come to mind.
Old 01-03-2006

good lord so when did we become so **** about particular wording on this site? and for the last time I'm not arguing over this.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I have the G009s and they are a great buy. You have to be careful with local shops because they will always try to get you. They may fix your tires for free but the tires were marked up so high you are still getting ripped off. You just have to watch out. I fyou are just buying tires, in most situations I think that you will spend less money at a local shop because of balancing, but you want to shop around. If you are buying rims, then the net is the way to go because they mount and balance for free, unless you have a local hook up.

Snow tires are better, but tires only do so much. That is what he was talking about. You could have the best snow tires in the world but if the driver is going to fast then...well you know what can happen. If your winters are pretty snowy then I would recomend getting snow tires. If it only snows a few times then I would get the G009s cause they are pretty good in the snow and great in the rain, much much better than stock. Basically if you only get snow here and there get the all season, if we are talking about snow on the ground every other day then get the snow tires.

I would look in the paper for tire deals. I got mine through Mr. Tire with one of those buy three get the 4th for free, on the rim and out the door type deals.
Old 01-03-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
If you already have summer tires, then you should get winter tires. Do not buy allseason tires just for winter, they wont performs as good as winter tire.
Also, winter tires have deep thread and will perform very well in wet conditions of fall and winter....
Not requried, no need to buy brand name winter tires, any generic kind will work fine, waay better then the best allseason tire...
Just go to your local tire retailer and buy 4 steelies and 4 winters oem size. You will be safe that way.
EDIT: full set installed should be about $400 (converted from can $)
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
If he lives south of the mason dixon line I think he should get all season.
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Nevermind just looked at his locaiton. Jeeze I can be slow LOL
Definitely get winter tires.
Old 01-04-2006

Originally Posted by jackburton
Nevermind just looked at his locaiton. Jeeze I can be slow LOL
Definitely get winter tires.
the only problem is that I put them on from November-March. Usually it only snows for 3-4 weeks during that entire span (if we're lucky). Wouldnt dedicated snow tires like blizzaks suck in normal cold conditions such as rain and stuff?
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light03-Acura-1.7-EL is a glorious beacon of light
Winter means for winter (cold season). It means they desinged to withstand cold tempretature and weather abuse.
Besides aggresive thread, winter tires are made out of different rubber compound to work/grip best when its "winter cold". So when its cold out, tire will reach operating temp faster. When its cold and roads are dry, wet, slushy or snow covered - tire will be in operating tempreture range and it wil increase safety - lower stop distance, better grip, redused tire spin.....
Winter tires not very good in summer - due to rubber structure, winters will wear out much faster....
As in my perspective set of winters and set of summers will last about same as 2 sets of allseason tires. But car performance will be much better when proper tires are used for a particular season summer or winter...
Its your choice.

p.s. spring/fall - concidered as intermediate seasons
Old 01-04-2006
just a troll who likes to laugh at YOU.

varmin will become famous soon enough
as far as getting ripped off locally, well, that's why you shop online first. then, when they say "uhh, $142 apiece.", you can say "hmm, i found them for $102 somewhere else, you wanna match the price or shall i walk?" it works more than you think.

-s
Old 01-04-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Good thing there's no snow here... heh...
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ramcosca
Good thing there's no snow here... heh...
Thats why out cars faster, we dont have to have a/c (+10 free hp)!
Old 01-04-2006
Registered!!

pon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nicepon55 is just really nice
Go to Tirerack!
A guy i know at a local shop told me no way they could meet their prices, but they were a listed installer and woulb be glad to install the tires.
Sorry, service is the last thing local tire shops give anymore, at least not around here.
i'm still using my stock(shitty) tires for winter and can get around fairly good.
Next year will be new 17 asx tires for yearround.(I'll stay home if it snows too much )