Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Slight "pinging" sound from an 01 Civic 42k miles original tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda_New_Guy is an unknown quantity at this point

Just bought a used Civic with the 185/60R15's. They are OEM as far as I know (firestone). They are pretty worn down.

Now to the question: When on the freeway and the tire hits a crack in the pavement - we hear a loud ping or drum like sound. It sounds like the tire is acting like a drum. I feel it is the tire that is bad. Am I correct in my diagnosis? Will a new tire fix the problem? Or am I looking at some other suspension related problem.

Another possibility is that the crappy "hub caps" are twanging. Just wondering if anyone noticed this before.

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Suspension.
Tires don;t make metallic sounds.
Sounds like a busted shock, thats where most bump related noises will come from.
Old 11-02-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
tires are rubber, they wouln't make a "drum" sound.

I suggest changing the tires, but just because you said they were worn down.

The noise however is partly becuase 01's-02's have really poor isolation, and poor suspension designs. Is it coming from the front somewhere?
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

It sounds like it is mostly up front. I would have to give it another listen to be sure. Could have sworn that it was a melody played by both front and back. Now I am not so sure.

Also - I wouldn't necessarily call it a metallic ping - more of a tight leather drum sound.

I guess I will find out for sure in 1.5 weeks with the new tires.

Are there any low speed conditions where I would hear a suspension noise versus tire noise?

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-03-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
push down on a corner of the car(seriously) like flat palm and press and let go so the car springs back up...see if you get the noise...
Old 11-03-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Shroomster
push down on a corner of the car(seriously) like flat palm and press and let go so the car springs back up...see if you get the noise...
push on the strut tower under the hood. if you push on the fender, its likely that you'll leave a dent the size of your hand in the fender.
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

lxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the roughlxcivic2k1 is a jewel in the rough
I push down on my fenders and have no problem cause I do that to see where my squeaks come from.
Old 11-03-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
push on the strut tower under the hood. if you push on the fender, its likely that you'll leave a dent the size of your hand in the fender.

oi...so I was vague... yeah strut tower is better choice
Old 11-03-2005
Shinier than yours, meatbag

Hurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud ofHurts2bStock has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lxcivic2k1
I push down on my fenders and have no problem cause I do that to see where my squeaks come from.
Why would you push on your fender? when your strut tower is 4-5" away?
Old 11-06-2005
Registered!!

I tried something crude. It may be it.

So I tried something crude but yet - what I would assume - is affective. I took out a 2x4 and hit the tire. Got a drum like sound. Now I can track it if necessary. I also went in and hit my VW Golf tires and did not hear the same sound. Not necessarily scientific. The sound is there.

I could feel the springs vibrating on the strut.

I pressed down on the front end to see if I could hear the sound when "activating" the struts. No sound.

I guess I will have to report back when I get the new tires.
Old 11-18-2005
Registered!!

It sounds like it is fixed.

I put the Yokohama Avid H4s' on and the sound is gone. Road noise is ten times quieter and the ride is super smooth. I am often amazed at how a bad set of tires can ruin a ride.

Thank you for the assistance otherwise. Have to see how well these tires hold.
Old 11-19-2005

crazea03 will become famous soon enough
idk if its the same thing but everytime i go over a bump i hear a loud knock and i found out it was the lower control arm bushing the rubber cushioning broke so maybe you hae the same prob