Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Question Wondering if anyone else has had this problem...

2001 sedan EX.Tthis happens rarely but rarely turns into often then often turns into everyday....when I'm driving and I start to brake the pedal travels normally for the first inch or 3 then it travels suddenly like an inch or two like the pedal is trying to move away from your foot...then it goes back to normal and finishes the stop at the fully stopped position. I've replaced the master cylinder.....just had the front rotors replaced and pads(power slots with Axxis ults.) and they bled the brakes (properly) from p.rear-d.rear-pfront-d.front ...mind you this was done today so I'm not sure if the problem will still be there but if it is I'm hoping anyone has some feedback or has experienced this....everyone has told me its the master cylinder but its a brand new (HONDA) cylinder AND it was doing this before the cylinder was replaced (thought it was the problem originally)

OH YEAH Also there are no leaks in my lines .....

My guess is that one of the pistons is not working right or one of my shoes in the drums is not catching properly....
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
your post doesnt make sense. first you said you have have a problem of the pedal going down normally and then it drops to the floor or so and comes back to normal and the car brakes fine. Then you said you had the master cylinder replaced, rotors replaced, new pads and had the brakes bled. Then say that this was all done today but you arent sure if the problem is still there. then are asking everyone whats wrong because its happening with a new master cylinder on?

So did you or didnt you go test the car out after the work was done? Cause according to your post, you got the work done but havent checked to see if everything is working, but a sentance later say you want to know whats wrong because this is happening even with a new cylinder. I am so confused.

If you got a new master cylinder and all the work done, go out and make sure it works properly, something the shop should have done when they fixed it.

Now if it is still doing it, then go back and ask them to fix it. To me it sounds like they didnt adjust the pushrod properly.

But I am not sure what to think here because your post is contridicting itself.
Old 08-18-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
master cylinder was done 6 months ago and it didn't fix the problem.. thought it was the original master cylinder thats why it was replaced....but the new one didn't fix the problem.....i just was saying what installs i had performed today....pushrod? what part of the brakes is that?
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Shroomster
master cylinder was done 6 months ago and it didn't fix the problem.. thought it was the original master cylinder thats why it was replaced....but the new one didn't fix the problem.....i just was saying what installs i had performed today....pushrod? what part of the brakes is that?
there is a pushrod that is connected to the brake booster that sits in the back of the piston in the master cylinder. whenever you push the brake pedal, the pushrod will be forced into the piston on the back of the master cylinder, and that piston along with the other piston in the master cylinder will be forced against fluid, and the calipers and wheel cylinders push against the pads and shoes.

Now when the brake pedal is depressed, the pushrod sits right against that piston in the back of the master cylinder. so when the brake pedal is pressed, it hits the piston. Now what might have happened is when they put the new master cylinder on, they didnt adjust that pushrod and it is now sitting to far away from the piston. So when you push the brake, the pedal will go down, but maybe it will go down farther in order for the compensating ports to be blocked and since the piston cant compress fluid, the wheel cylinders and calipers go into expansion. that is my thought.

But you might also have a leaking wheel cylinder. I would go take it back though, obviously they didnt fix the problem.
Old 08-18-2005

Originally Posted by streetglower
there is a pushrod that is connected to the brake booster that sits in the back of the piston in the master cylinder. whenever you push the brake pedal, the pushrod will be forced into the piston on the back of the master cylinder, and that piston along with the other piston in the master cylinder will be forced against fluid, and the calipers and wheel cylinders push against the pads and shoes.

Now when the brake pedal is depressed, the pushrod sits right against that piston in the back of the master cylinder. so when the brake pedal is pressed, it hits the piston. Now what might have happened is when they put the new master cylinder on, they didnt adjust that pushrod and it is now sitting to far away from the piston. So when you push the brake, the pedal will go down, but maybe it will go down farther in order for the compensating ports to be blocked and since the piston cant compress fluid, the wheel cylinders and calipers go into expansion.

But you might also have a leaking wheel cylinder.

does this mean that it is part of the booster or the master cylinder? whatever the case it doesn't hurt the braking system to a point of failure does it?
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Shroomster
does this mean that it is part of the booster or the master cylinder? whatever the case it doesn't hurt the braking system to a point of failure does it?
it is part of the brake booster. But if it isnt adjusted properly, then it will cause a problem. If it is adjusted too much into the master cylinder, the brakes could stay applied causing them to overheat. If it sits too far away from the piston, then it could take alot of effort to brake.

Either that is the problem, or you have a leak somewhere else. Either in the lines or at a wheel cylinder. And if anything, try adjusting your shoe to drum clearance. that could also be an issue. The rear brakes have star adjusters to adjust how close the shoes sit to the drum surface. they are self adjusting, but still need to be adjusted every now and then.

If I were you though, instead of going to the dealer again, this time with the help of a friend, jack up the car on all 4's, have someone sit in the drivers seat and go through all of the lines and connections of the brakes while he presses on the brake pedal and see if you see any seepage anywhere. If not, remove the drums and check the wheel cylinders. If all that is correct, then I would check the pushrod adjustment.

Last edited by streetglower; 08-18-2005 at 07:50 PM.