Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

bad to reinflate many times?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005
not so fly, yet slow and enjoying it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fly_viet_guy is an unknown quantity at this point
bad to reinflate many times?

ive ben driving with a persitent flat tire, can it be that bad?
the tire had a nail in it and the area has been patched twice, from the inside. BUT once i fill it up, it loses air little by little. id go and inflate it and itll get slowly flatter and flatter so i gotta do it again. can this be dangerous if i keep doing it for a while, since its been a while. and should i just replace all of the fr690's?
Old 03-24-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Well if you had it fixed, it sounds like they either didn't fix the hole, or maybe your valvestem core isn't sealing. Both are easy fixes. If they didn't patch it well, go back and get it done again. If your valvecore is leaking you'll know by removing the cap and you'll hear hsssssssssssssssss. If it is, which I've had a few go bad, just go to napa, buy a valvestem tool and a pack of cores. Both are less than $5 total.
Old 03-24-2005

valvestem is good. i think its the damage done by the nail that was in it. it was just like in there, it tore around the edges and whatnot. i dunno, im gettin frustrated with having to pump air in it every other day for 2 and a half months now. also, when i got the flat, i rolled on the tire walls for a bit before i could pulled over. andi only have 15k on the tires, pieces of crap if u ask me.
Old 03-26-2005

olytrojan is an unknown quantity at this point
if you rolled on the tire when is was flat for to long there will be a ring around the sidewall that looks like something was grinding it up. if you can see that then the tire is no good, if you can't then the tire should be fine. you should go get it looked at as soon as possible because the longer you wait the more chance you have of runining the tire. i work at discount tire and i see so many people ruin their tires by running on them while they were flat. if their is a discount tire close to you they will fix it for you for free, as long as the tire is not runied.
Old 03-27-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Just get new tires. Don't even bother getting those firestones again. Those tires are crap.

Easy way to check if its leaking where it was patched. First over inflate your tires with about 5 psi more than the max psi on the tire, and then put some dish washing liquid over the spot that was patched. If you see bubbles, than its leaking from the patch.

Your problem could also be a rim leak which was not mentioned. Rim leaks are easily fixed, and all they have to do is clean all the debris from inside the rim, where it seats on the tire. Once that is done, some bead sealer, and your seat.

Just take it to your local tire shop, and get the leak fixed, or just the sell the tires.

Last edited by phuviano; 03-27-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-27-2005

well they repatched it twice, and the firestone words on the sidewall are sorta gone. i rotated that tire to the back and im running with the "good" ones on the front. figured ill go for as long as i can before changing them out, trying to hold out till august before i head out for college. any decent tire advise? im thinking the falken 512's? 205/60/15? i need something good but economical. i got only 15k on these tires but im sick of them. and please do tell, if my right side is worn down more than my left...alignment problem?
Old 03-27-2005

is the wear all the way across the tire or just on the edge?
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
You have most likely ruined the tire. Driving on it runs the risk of it blowing out. And the best tires should be on the rear, that would give you more control if you had a tire go out.
Old 03-27-2005
ThE CoRRupToR

dru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nicedru106 is just really nice
Originally Posted by rickinthescv
You have most likely ruined the tire. Driving on it runs the risk of it blowing out. And the best tires should be on the rear, that would give you more control if you had a tire go out.

you mean the bad tires should go on the rear so when it goes out u still have the 2 front wheels to control the car
Old 03-27-2005

actually you want the two good tires on the rear. if you put the bad ones on the rear and one goes out it will more than likely put your car sideways, but if you one of the fronts blows you can control it with the steering. i work at a tire shop and michelin did some studies on this and sent us some videos and other stuff explaning what they found.
Old 03-28-2005
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by olytrojan
actually you want the two good tires on the rear. if you put the bad ones on the rear and one goes out it will more than likely put your car sideways, but if you one of the fronts blows you can control it with the steering. i work at a tire shop and michelin did some studies on this and sent us some videos and other stuff explaning what they found.
Yep, I second this. I used to work at a tire shop installing tires too.