Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Keep On Wanting To The Right

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSSCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep On Wanting To The Right

Hi guys, I have a question about my steering. Currently I just got a new wider tires for my factory rims. I have 195/65 now. All 4 tires now are set to 30psi. The alignment was slightly off after I changed the tires so I did my alignment as well afterwards.

Right now the steering wheel is straight whenever I hold it but most of the time if I let go even a little bit, the steering wheel keep on going to the right slightly. I thought it was the air pressure but even after the air pressure are even to 30psi all around, the steering wheel still turning to right slightly on most smooth roads. Like I mentioned above, the steering wheel is straight though when I want it to hold it but when I let go, it just keep on turning to the right slightly by itself. It never went to the left at all.

Anything else that I should check? Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-17-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
Maybe poorly constructed tires?
Old 03-17-2005
Broken Road......

nitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to allnitroal1973 is a name known to all
Post up your alignment print out. Cross the two front tires and see if the pull changes to the left side.
Old 03-18-2005
Registered!!

Kizuel is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd get that tire checked out.

The same thing was happening to me, but to the left, on my dads Civic (before I had bought my own). There was also a lot of road noise associated with this problem, and this had been going on for about 2 weeks. Then one day while I was driving it home from work one day and it blew out a golfball sized chunk. It turns out it was a defective/poorly constructed tire. We got it from Costco, so they replaced it for free.
Old 03-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Rotate the front tires to the rear on the same side. Take it for a test drive, if it does the same thing its most likely not the tires or balance. If it doesnt do the same thing, it could be a balance problem or bad tire. Look for buldges or bubbles around and on top of the tire. If you see any, you need to get the tire replaced ASAP.
Old 03-18-2005
Registered!!

c kim is an unknown quantity at this point
Most likely an alignment mistake. Brand new tires should never do that unless it's a manufacturer defect.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Thanks for all your replies. I'm gonna take it to get another alignment sometimes this week. Actually currently the steering isn't pulling to the right anymore but I'll double check the alignment again anyway.
Old 03-27-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Make sure all tires are balanced and you get an alignment. Take it to somewhere you trust, because some places will say they balanced tires even tho they didn't.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Yea, I always take it to this reputable tires & rims installer around here. I've been doing my tires there for a decade already & they always did a good job. If not then they'll always take care of it until I'm satisfy.
Old 03-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
When you're in the right lane does it pull right and the left lane does it pull left? Or constant to the right?
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Currently, it's not pulling anywhere. It's straight but for few weeks after I had the tires on, no matter which lane am I at, it was pulling the right constantly whenever I let my hands off the steering wheel.
Old 03-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If it was pulling the direction of the lane you were in, then the problem is the road not the car. If you've tried rotating the tires and it still pulls then chances are they've got your steering off ever so slightly. what happens if you hold the wheel a little to the left?
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Yea, I understand the road surface can make the steering wheel to pull at a certain direction but this one is different. No matter what, it's still pulling to the right.

If I hold the wheel a little to the left while the steering is pulling to the right then it goes back to straight again. When the steering wheel is straight, the car isn't going to the left or to the right. It's just when I let my hands off the wheel, the steering wheel is turning to the right by itself.
Old 03-27-2005
Jap-Euro Fusion

Ohhh.... ok. so when you let go it turns. Yeah, thats the road. Look at the road, there's a gradient built into it so it drains to the shoulder. When you're holding the wheel, the car goes where you point it, which is straight because the alignment was done right. when you let go, the car follows the profile of the road, which leads it to the right... which is what your car is doing.
Sometimes they also build that into your alignment incase you doze off behind the wheel.... that way you go off the road rather than into oncoming traffic. If you have your alignment specs.... post em up, I'll take a look at em.
Old 03-27-2005
Registered!!

Oh I see but it never happened before though. It only happened after I got the 195/65HR 15 tires. Currently the wheel isn't turning to the right anymore even when I let go.

If I have the time this week, I will re-check the alignment again & maybe I'll post up the specs.

Thanks for your input