Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Race tire opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Race tire opinions needed

Well first off I should say that i bought some 15 x 6.5 rota sliptreams last week and now im in the process of looking for tires. These new tires will be used in the summer only and I will be drag racing in them. I have a neuspeed sport spring drop and I want to try to keep close to that wheel gap I have now with stock tires. The tire size I am leaning towards is 205/55/15 tire size. I need your guys opinions on what tires to buy that are optimal for straight line traction. Ive found 2 in that size and they are yokohama Avs es100 and the dunlop Sp sport fm901. Any opinions on these and does anyone know of other good tires for drag race that can be found in that size. I would also consider 215/50 size but there aren't too many tires in that size. Any opinions and personal experiences would be great. Help me pick my tires guys!!!!!!!!
Old 01-28-2005
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ramones is an unknown quantity at this point
If you plan on just drag racing then get a tire with soft sidewalls (cushions load and allows better hookup upon launch). I think the Yokohama es100 and Dunlop fm901 have stiff sidewalls (to minimize sidewall flex upon turning).

I suggest the Nitto NT555R or the BFGooodrich street drag radial for your application.

Or you could go the extreme route and get dedicated DOT approved drag radials (Mickey Thompson ET street tires).

Search the tire sizes you are looking for at tirerack.com.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Hmm those tires are nice, but I dont' think they are in my price range or in that size I need. Would the Yokohamas or Dunlops work well for drag or should I not even bother? Any ideas where to find good tires in the 205.55.15 size? Post Links! thanks
Old 01-28-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scansel912
Well first off I should say that i bought some 15 x 6.5 rota sliptreams last week and now im in the process of looking for tires. These new tires will be used in the summer only and I will be drag racing in them. I have a neuspeed sport spring drop and I want to try to keep close to that wheel gap I have now with stock tires. The tire size I am leaning towards is 205/55/15 tire size. I need your guys opinions on what tires to buy that are optimal for straight line traction. Ive found 2 in that size and they are yokohama Avs es100 and the dunlop Sp sport fm901. Any opinions on these and does anyone know of other good tires for drag race that can be found in that size. I would also consider 215/50 size but there aren't too many tires in that size. Any opinions and personal experiences would be great. Help me pick my tires guys!!!!!!!!
so ur looking for for performance tires, not race tires

two whole different things. the avs es100 are ok for traction. good for street.

if u want some real race tires, get some hoosiers or micky thompsons for the track
Old 01-29-2005
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
Go for h00siers if its race only application, or if you need to save on $$$, Azenis if straight line only
Old 01-29-2005
Registered!!

I guess what i really want is some real sticky tires that I don't have to take off every time i'm done racing that i can drive on the street and highway and what not. Ive heard that azenis has a real stiff sidewall as well. The dunlops have a treadwear of 200 same as the azenis which means more then likely they are about as sticky as the azenis. Are dunlops junk or should I seriously consider them?