Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

New Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02SilvCiv is an unknown quantity at this point
New Brakes

In about 300 miles im gonna need new brakes. im wondering if it is something i could do myself or have some do it. and i should use the honda pads or is the something better i could use instead of the oem pads.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Mr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to allMr.Modify is a name known to all
Hawks
Old 05-18-2004
Registered!!

would you guys reccomend getting the rotors cut or can i get away without it this time.
Old 05-18-2004
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
when you say "cut," do you mean resurfaced? If that's the case, my brakes are still smooth after the first brake pad change and I didn't get the rotors resurfaced.

It's almost time to change my brake pads again, and I don't think i'm gonna get it resurfaced. Maybe on my third brake pad change.

I like the AEM pads I'm using. I never really got squeaking. It only squeaks when I'm reversing.
Old 05-18-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
its always best to resurface the rotors to ensure maximum surface contact between the new pads and the rotor and to also elimanate any rotor runout. It's sometimes better to just replace the rotors because as you machine them you lessen the mass of the rotor and this means less material to absorb heat, that menas your brakes will wear faster, and rotors will develop runout sooner too. Also there is a discard thickness and a machine to thickness that you should take in to account. Never machine beyond the discard thickness. And when installing new pads never machine past the machine to thickness
Old 05-18-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Dump the stock rotors... they overheat way too easily, and its so cheap to get Brembo blanks to replace them.
After last weekend, I'd highly recommend Axxis Ultimate pads. On the track I had incredible bite and no fade at all. 1 bit of warning on them, they're a little dusty, so if you want to put some effort into keeping the front wheels clean, you can get a whole brake job, thats pads and rotors from www.importrp.com for about $130 ($30 per rotor, $47 for the pads +shipping) and they got my stuff to me in about 5 days (WA to IN, thats fast).
Old 05-19-2004
Registered!!

thanks for all the info guys. really appreciate it
Old 05-19-2004
Premium Member

2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about2k2redcivic has a spectacular aura about
i upgraded to the power slot/ ebc green stuff package from dezod.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_7thgen_brake...eal_2power.cfm

they rock great inprovement!!!
Old 05-19-2004
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 2K2REDCIVIC
i upgraded to the power slot/ ebc green stuff package from dezod.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_7thgen_brake...eal_2power.cfm

they rock great inprovement!!!
I've got that same package, and now I'm kind of regretting that I did. I'm getting all kinds of shakes and wobbles from my front end and steering wheel, and I'm not the only one. Check out this thread that I started in which others are having the same or similar issues.

I'd recommend just going with some Brembo blanks and some Hawk or Porterfield pads. Hell, if you don't mind dust, AEM would be good too. I'm not saying don't look at that brake package up there, but it seems people are having some funky issues. Don't get me wrong, when you want to stop, you stop. That I can definately say. There's just something else there. Maybe warped rotors or glazed pads. I'm not too sure.
Old 05-19-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
buggin.. get some brembos cross drilled .. oem replacements.. what i mean by that are they are the same size as the oem.. and get some bendix brake pads.. very cheap, low dust.. alot better than oem... and you can resurface cross drilles just like oem.. i have this setup for alomst two years know and only change the pads once and resurface once.. it was my first mod.. im telling you cant go wrong.. just look on ebay you'll find them
Old 05-20-2004
Registered!!

Does anyone have any opinion on any of the bendix brakes, either the iq or ct3 models. i think im gonna do it this weekend they are really starting to make moise now. i think for me the hawks are overkill. i just want something that is gonna do better than oe.
Old 05-21-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
yea, I have noticed everyone that has ebc pads, has problems with shaking when they brake. I sure do. And the pads dont last long. Dont get me wrong, at first they are great, but it has only been around 5000-8000 miles and they are almost gone.
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

I was reading in other posts, that if you use any other pad material other than oem on a stock oem rotor that the rotor will be ruined. and your braking will go to ****. does anyone know if this is true. if so ill have to buy the brembo blanks i guess.ill be installing the new pads this week and they are ceramic not the oem organic. any info would really be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2004
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I sorda agree with that because everytime I switched to a different material, the rotors went to ****.