Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

For the braking Gurus

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
For the braking Gurus

I have a question that im hoping you guys can help me out with. I have the AEM big brake rotors up front with the OEM relocated calipers. What i want to do is take the rear discs from an EP and convert the EX drums to rear discs in the rear as well. Then to match the large brakes up front i was gonna purchase the AEM big brake rotors for the EP and upgrade the back. My question is will this negativly affect my brake balanceing? Will this cause more trouble or will if actually allow me to stop better in both low speed and high speed driving. Ignoring the fact that its a little pricey to accomplish is it worth it as far as performance. I just think the rear wheel is a little empty.
Old 04-23-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
If the proportion of size stays the same, you'll probably be ok. Might want an Si master cylinder if its bigger. If the bias gets thrown off, you can mess with it a little by changing the brake pad compounds. Its kinda primitive, but it works. Too much rear bias, get OEM for the rear and something grippier for the front, visa versa for fronts grabbing too hard. As far as will it work better? Probably not. Its just more unsprung weight, and the pads are still the same size so its not like you'll get more grip, but the brakes will run cooler.
Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

WELL eventually the calipers will be changed out but for the time i was gonna use the OEM calipers. Im actually not looking for it to perform better. I would be happy for it to perform the same. The main reason for this is to fill the rear tire up until i can afford to get the upgraded 4 pot calipers
Old 04-23-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough

Last edited by rickinthescv; 11-09-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

well i can get the parts for the SI cheap
should i use the booster and master cylinder from the EP? Im trying to figure out how to equal the pressure so im not just spending cash and adding weight. I want functionality as well
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
The SI uses an electronic proportional system, so most of its components would be a pain.

The Acura EL has a 4 wheel disc system. It shares the calipers and rotors with the SI. It also shares the booster and master cylinder with an EX.

If you upgrade the fron discs on the front, upgrade the size of the rears as well (use an AEM kit for an SI). All the Civics use the same rotor and caliper on the front. Also if you upgrade the lines, use the ones for an Acura EL or SI.

Last edited by rickinthescv; 11-09-2004 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

^^^ This is exactally what i was looking for. So the Rotors and Calipers from the SI and then the proportional valve from an EL. Now to find one lol
Old 04-24-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
you should get a proportional valve so you can adjust the settings to your own prefence
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

From the EL?
Old 04-24-2004
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
doesn't really matter... get it for our car or a universal one...
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
you should get a proportional valve so you can adjust the settings to your own prefence
He's onto something.

Back in my 4wd days, I put an adjustable proportioning valve on my trucks to help keep the balance tuned. Stopping a 37 inch tire on a 15 inch rim while going 80 mph takes a lot of brake force, even on a 12 inch rotor!

If you'd like, I can dig around and source ya one then slap the link up here.

Come to think of it, a prop valve on any car should help out, as most all of us run or will be running tires that are way over factory spec, which is what the brake ballance is set to.
Old 04-24-2004
Registered!!

That would be great bro. Ive been looking for one here and there
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

nivenmk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Allrighty, first off, here's the DIY for a Tacoma with a lift, should just give you and idea of how the whole thing is installed. Also note that cars don't have LSPV's.

Offroad.com's DIY proportioning valve.

Here's a link to the product that they used, there is no price, and it's 4am so I can't rightly call 'em. The valve is at the bottom of the page, to the left of it are residual pressure valves, which will give your brake pedal the feel of a 4 wheel disc setup by holding the drum part of the way through it's travel. Probably has a negative effect on the life of the drums, but they don't wear out that fast anyway.

Kartek Race Brake systems.

Just scroll to the bottom and have a look-see.

I've not jacked my car up yet and looked at the rear brake system, but if worst comes to worst, you'll have to run two of them if honda saw fit to run seperate brake lines from the ABS unit. This would also complicate installation as you'd need to put attachments on the brake lines, actually compicate is a little much, it'd just be a hastle. But, never fear, chances are honda ran it like they do most other stuff, one line back then a T from there.

Keep us posted.
Old 04-25-2004
Registered!!

Actually, the lines are run diagonally. The front right is tied into the rear left. So if you run a valve, you would need two.
Old 04-26-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Just to chime in here, Larger rotors do Little to nothing in the way of increasing Break power. What they do is increase the thermal capasity of the breaking system allowing you to run the brakes Harder Longer. Better stopping power is achieved through increasing brake Pressure (master/slave cylinders, Calipers) by changing Pad Compounds and by Getting stickier tires.