Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

Guys, I need your help quick. *problem solved*

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Guys, I need your help quick. *problem solved*

Ok heres the deal, I bought these wheels on ebay linky I im putting them on just now, but the first lugnut I put on strips like a bitch. These are Zenki tuner lugs, so they shouldnt strip. THen I notice that the lugs are only going on about a quarter inch or so. I attached a pic to explain...

What can I do about this?? Can I get longer studs?? I need to have these wheels onfor my race on sunday, so I need to pretty much have them on my today or tomorrow. I'm about to go up to the sheel shop, but id like to be educated when I get there. any help would be appreciated, thanks alot guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	26704  

Last edited by jiggerachi; 04-28-2004 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-15-2004
Balut Eating Champ

pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
ow man! that kinda suck... are you using the cone shape lug nuts or the 45degrees nuts?

you can get it grinded off, but i don't think that's very safe...
Old 04-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You got 12x1.5mm thread pitch on the nuts right? You're sure you didn't buy Subaru nuts? If you're only getting them on 1/4 an inch, it sounds like you got the wrong thread.
Do the nuts bottom out? Or is the wheel loose? And is the wheel seated on the hub? Or is the centering ring hanging up on the end of the axle?
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

No, it looks like the metal in teh center of the wheel is really thick, like almost an inch, & the lugnit holes only go in about half way, so theres like a half in difference. So the studs only stick about a quarter inch into the lugnut holes. Or thats what it looks like at least...

& yea the back of the rim is touching the plate that holds the lug studs.

Oh yea, the lugs screw on the posts fine, so theyre the right ones.
Old 04-15-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
I have these wheel locks for sale. (2 sets of 4 = 8 wheel locks) It looks like they might help because they are skinnier but I really don't know... They ARE thinner though. The thread is right too. 12x1.5 Hard to find. With a metal sleeve around the lock head for added anti-tamper protection. The thickness of the base of the locks is about as thick as the key that comes with it (shown on the bottom left).

Gorilla brand.

Last edited by armieo; 04-15-2004 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

^oh so they go all the way inside teh hole??

Has anyone else had this problem?? Seems really wierd to me, why did I have to buy the one set of rims that are made like this
Old 04-15-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Well I'm thinkin that you have a LITTLE bit of leeway between the threads and the wheel, but not enough to fit a standard conical base lug/lock in. I mean, the threads of the stud aren't scraping the inside of the lug hole of the wheel right? This should work I think.

The sides of the stud CAN'T as flush with the wheel as shown in the picture.

Let me know if you're interested. This may work out for the both of us.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Hmmm... maybee thats what I need, but I just paid freaking 70 bucks for these lugs, now I need new ones?? ARRRG!!!

Another problem is I need them by saturday!!

Im going up to the local discount tire & see what kind of bullshit they tell me.
Old 04-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
You got a digicam? Take a picture of the wheel, head on so I can see the holes, then as oblique as you can and still see the pattern (put the camera on the rim face).
Old 04-15-2004
< My future wife.

I can overnight em if you want to pay for s/h.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Camera sucks, this is as good as they get...

Name:	picture-1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	26710  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-6.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	26713  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-8.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	26714  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-9.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	26715  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-10.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	26716  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-11.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	26717  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-14.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	26718  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-15.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	26719  
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Name:	picture-12.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	26720  
Old 04-15-2004
< My future wife.

Whoa get em from me! Those look like wheels for a truck! jk.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

The guy I bought them from had them on his miata. They were his autocross wheels.

I like them alot though, they looked damn good on the car for the brief minute I had that one on. They have a nice offset too, not too much though.
Old 04-15-2004
< My future wife.

How wide is the hole from the top? Maybe I can see if these lugs will fit.
Old 04-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Wait a sec... you got a new Centering ring right? Because if not, thats your hang up. Miatas have a 51mm Centerbore ours is 56.... and the ring isn't fitting. Check on that, if you haven't already... I'm running out of ideas.
Now... if that still doesn't work, then you may need longer studs. I would be surprised if it came to that. Don't let the Discount tire Dufuses do it though, you're unfortunately going to have to grin and bear it for another weekend because you'll probably need open end lugnuts to clear them.
Its kinda hard to do this without being there to mess with it, but I'm trying. If the offset is within the 35-45 bounds, there should be enough stud that hangs out to get them on there.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

There is no centering ring on there, its metal on metal around the studs. I just think the studs are too short for these wheels.

Now if I get longer suds, I would probably have to get new lugnuts for my stock street wheels huh??

I guess its another stock day for the track
Old 04-15-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

if it came to that, yes, you'd need open end lugnuts for all your wheels. NOW... if you have the material to do it (which it sounds like you do), take the wheels to a machine shop and get some of the backspacing turned off in a lathe. As long as they machine them all the same (get it done on a CNC) everything should work fine, and you'll be able to keep the stock studs and everything will be fine. Just make sure you don't take off too much that your brakes hit the spokes. You'll have to make a mockup of it to test it out. Every mm you can turn off will get you an extra 1.5 turns of the lugnut. You need to get 9 or 10 to be good. My guess is there's not enough offset and the backspace block is too thick. Alternatively you can have the holes bored deeper if they fit fine now, just make sure they get drilled with a 60 degree taper, not with a standard 118 degree drill bit.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

I think boring the holes deeper is the solution, that way I keep the offset, the brakes arent in danger of hitting the spokes, & everyones happy.

I just woke up & im not as foggy as before so im going to go test fit them real fast to make sure im not just a retard & put them on wrong, hehe.

I think itll be the same thing thought, sadly, but worth a shot right.
Old 04-15-2004
Zoom zoom

Yep, same thing...

How deep dp you think I need to get the holes bored?? Right now I can screw the lugs on about a quarter inch, how far do they need to be still be safe for autocross??

Thanks man
Old 04-19-2004
Zoom zoom

Ok, I finally found someone that knew what they were talking about...halfway atleast.

I had heard of these special lugnuts that have a stem that goed into the hole about a half inch & grabs more thread, but I couldnt find anyone that had ever seen them. Finally I showed them to the manager of another discount tire & he told me they were called ET lugs(extra thread), & that he could get me a set for about 30 bucks. Heres a pic I found online...

Now I think this would be the best route seeing as I dont want to grind anything off the wheels or bore the holes deeper, I dont want to risk fvking up the wheels & that would probably cost more than I paid for them anyway. Buying longer studs would be another option, butIt would be more expensive, more work, & I would have to buy more lugs for my street wheels(steelies) anyway.

What do you think guys??
Old 04-20-2004
< My future wife.

I think... that you should... check your PM. That's what I think. Lol
Old 04-20-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Your problem is buying universal fit rims. Any kind of tuner lugs with a thin seat should work like the ones you posted.

Quick Reply: Guys, I need your help quick. *problem solved*