Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

where can I buy performance rear brake drums and brake shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Need opinion about what honda said about rear brakes?

I went to honda today to ask them about why my brakes were grinding so much in the rear. And I explained to them that I just recieved a brake job, and what they did. They told me that I wasnt supposed to have my drums resurfaced at all. especially at 45,000 miles. They said that the drums would now be bare and probably need to be replaced. Is this true? They said that all cars that they work on, they dont resurface the drums, just the rotors. Also they said that it has to do with their brake shoes being aftermarket. I think that is bs. Brake check told me that they use brake pads and shoes that are made by honda. So who is right, I have been getting different sides on this issue, and my brake problem is still there. I am thinking of just replacing the drums now, but at 45000 miles, I dont know why? Also where can I get performance rear brakes for our car. I am going to buy cross drilled and slotted rotors and the green stuff pads, but our there performance shoes for the rear and performance drums?
Old 09-06-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have some real doubts about Brake Check actually using genuine Honda parts... your Honda dealer may be telling you the truth there. Those aftermarket shops almost always use their own cheaper stuff to make more money off customers.

As for resurfacing rear drums, I don't know if what Honda told you is true or not..... although it is true that resurfacing rear drums is a lot rarer than resurfacing the front rotors.
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
I am just wondering because I have had my frums resurfaced 3 times now and do you think it would be time to buy new ones to stop the grinding?
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

EternalVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
you should only have NEEDED the drums resurfaced maybe one, since there is less action going on back there, they dont wear as much as the front rotors, but you CAN resurface most drums, honda may be different they may put on essentially "one time use" drums, but i highly doubt it, so the dealer saying you cant is probably bs so you buy over priced drums, however, rotors and drums can usually only take 1-2 resurfacings, so they actually may be bare.

that may not help you decide to get new drums or not, but it hopefully clears some things up for you
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by streetglower
I am just wondering because I have had my frums resurfaced 3 times now and do you think it would be time to buy new ones to stop the grinding?
Yup, sounds like it's time for new drums.
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

damn, I do feel that is what is causing all of my back break problems, anyone know how much I am looking to spend on them. Also are the brembo cross drilled and slotted rotors that are on ebay for $99 for our car any good.
Old 09-07-2003
Registered!!

where can I buy performance rear brake drums and brake shoes?

I have been trying to find brake drums for my 02 civic ex coupe on the internet but cant find any. Anybody know of a website where I can see pics and prices. Also is there a place that sells performance drums for the rear? Also Where can I find performance rear brake shoes? please let me know.