Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Grinding/notchy feeling in my Sport Touring 6MT.

Search this Thread

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keglerking is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Grinding/notchy feeling in my Sport Touring 6MT.

Hey there...
There is a grinding feeling/noise in my 2023 Sport Touring Hatchback 6MT when shifting gears. It seems as if the gears are not meshing/syncing properly. Honda Service Tech said he didn't find anything wrong (of course).
This also occurs when I'm just sitting in my car with the engine not running and I’m just shifting through the gears. Sometimes, I can shift through them all very smoothly, with no resistance; other times, very grindy/notchy. I don't understand it. Any ideas and/or recommendations for solutions?
Thanks!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,350 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Grinding/notchy feeling in my Sport Touring 6MT.

Shifting with the engine off will never feel smooth, so that's normal.

Has the transmission always felt this way?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Yes.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Super Moderator

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,350 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Don't take this the wrong way, I have to ask....is this your first manual transmission vehicle?

If it's always happening, I'm surprised the tech can't recreate. Unless they're just a smoother shifter than you.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Registered!!

Lol, no, it’s not my first MT, and I’m not offended. I actually learned how to drive on my dad’s 1962 Ford Falcon, which was a “three on the tree”. From there, I bought myself a 1984 Mazda RX-7, which was a MT5. Next, was a 1994 Mazda Protege, which was another MT5. Finally, this 2023 Honda Civic SP TRG Hatchback MT6, which I bought used with only 18k miles on it. All my previous manual transmission vehicles, including my dad’s, were as smooth as silk. Go figure. I’m resigned to living with it. It’s still under warranty, so if anything happens, I’m covered for another two years.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Prelude Owner

Received 306 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have had notchy shifts caused by the shift cables not being lined up perfectly.

Fluid change can help also but with so few miles shouldn’t be an issue.