Regular Maintenance Post questions about regular maintenance here

What schedule do you follow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honda1948 is an unknown quantity at this point
What schedule do you follow?

2024 Honda Civic Touring 1.5 Turbo. I’ve always been big on maintaining my vehicles and after coming from a long line of Ford vehicles to my first Honda I’m curious do most people follow the maintenance minder or do you do a miles based maintenance as for the oil anyway. The owners manual doesn’t state a mileage for the oil change just to use the maintenance minder. Currently I’m at 2,700 miles on the break in oil and the maintenance minder states it is still at 80%. Also the CVT seems like there is a lot of mixed views on using aftermarket fluid I plan on using valvoline MaxLife which states it is HFC-2 compatible since late 2022 I believe. Going to do the CVT every 30k like it states in the manual. What surprised me was the valve adjustment every 105k as well as replacing the timing belt if equipped which mine mine has a chain I believe…and replace the water pump at that interval as well???
Old 01-25-2024
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: What schedule do you follow?

Not an owner of this generation, but I'd do this if I did:

Oil changes every 3-5k miles. I've never even acknowledged my minder. I'd personally stick to OEM trans fluid. I personally don't for my car but that's because I track it as well. For daily use, OEM is perfectly fine.

1.5 has a chain, which will last the life of the engine. Water pump is only recommended with the timing belt interval because you're already in there. No point in replacing the water pump until necessary.
Old 01-27-2024
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

With my Hondas I always followed the maintenance minder with oil but with a turbo car I would probably do it sooner.

I’d stick with OEM trans fluid.

105k mile valve adjustment is “normal” but ask me how many I’ve done on my 100k+ mile Hondas…none.
Old 01-30-2024
Registered!!

Yeh I also called the dealerships service department they said every 5,000 miles even though the owners manual states no mileage. I’m still up in the air about the trans fluid. I drive about 35k per year so about once a year on the CVT fluid. I may do the OEM fluid just because all manufacturers from what I can tell from a google search has had trouble out of the CVTs at one time or another. I also bought a pilot and I know it has a timing belt. I guess I’ll do 5,000 mile oil changes on it as well. I haven’t looked in the manual but I would guess it doesn’t state a mileage either…currently on the civic I’m at 3,200 miles and the maintenance minder still shows 80%…crazy at that rate it’d probably be 10k oil changes.
Old 01-30-2024
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

10k mile oil changes is about what I do on my vehicles. I'm lazy and mostly follow the maintenance minder (if it has one), otherwise it's about every 10k miles or whenever I remember. If following the maintenance minder is going to cause serious premature damage, I don't think Honda would even have it. It would only make them look bad.

I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil which states it's good for 10k miles. Matching oil filter states 20k miles.
Old 01-30-2024
Registered!!

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
10k mile oil changes is about what I do on my vehicles. I'm lazy and mostly follow the maintenance minder (if it has one), otherwise it's about every 10k miles or whenever I remember. If following the maintenance minder is going to cause serious premature damage, I don't think Honda would even have it. It would only make them look bad.

I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil which states it's good for 10k miles. Matching oil filter states 20k miles.
I have consider just going by the maintenance minder because I agree with you on this but it is so hard to do for me because when I started driving 3,000 mile oil changes were the standard and I’ve always be meticulous about maintenance. Maybe one day I will get the nerve to let it go that long lol
The following users liked this post:
BrotatoChip (01-30-2024)
Old 01-30-2024
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

That was 3k miles on conventional oil though. Full synthetic is much better.

Nothing wrong with earlier oil changes. The next owner (if you eventually sell) will appreciate it.
Old 01-31-2024
Prelude Owner

Received 305 Likes on 215 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Yeah modern oil is so much better than the old stuff. Send off a sample to Blackstone and you will see what kinda life you can get out of the new synthetic stuff.