General 11th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Side by side comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryan Ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Side by side comparison

I currently drive a 2017 EX with 250 000 km on it (~150,000 miles) and figured I would go check out the new 2022 design along side the 2021 version of my current car given I am close to that time to replace it. I have to say I wasn't instantly sold on the 11th gen. I did like the redesign on the back (which reminded me of an Audi) and the interior but hated the plain rims and so-so about the front end. I actually thought the rims were spoked steel until I had a closer look. The way the front hood wraps back under itself immediately made me think of the small Tesla 3 or even a john boat but of more concern was the lower honey comb style plastic grill. I just can't see it surviving a Canadian or northern US winter. It's all plastic with the only bottom support being some thicker plastic. Putting my fingers through it I could easily shake it back and forth. What will happen when it's frozen, the plow just came by, and I need to get out of a parking lot? I can see a lot of these being replaced this winter. I really liked to look of the dash grill over all the vents but I live in the country and have high amounts of pollen and dust to deal with. It would be a bugger to detail. Minor point on that one but still a consideration. Most of the interior storage spots were also smaller but I loved the rework of the center console, added blind spot detection, heavier seat fabric, and heated steering wheel. Over all I liked to car but it wasn't one of those "let's do the deal right now" kind of moments.

As a comparison I also looked at the 2021 version while I was there. Not a lot changed from my 2017. Rims a little plainer, I would lose the chrome trim under the front hood for a black version, but the display screen was much better with a real volume ****. I would pretty much be buying the same car I have now which I generally like but miss out on many new features in the 22. I will likely get the 2022 but not until late spring when I can see how the front grill and reports of paint chipping around the hood pan out. That way it would have one less winter anyway. Firmly on the fence for now.
Old 08-25-2021
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Side by side comparison

Anything stopping you from just driving the ‘17? 250k isn’t really that much.
Old 08-25-2021
Registered!!

Bryan Ex is an unknown quantity at this point

The civic is my commuter car and with my two other vehicles also over 250k I want to have at least one with lower mileage and a warranty. I have replaced the touch screen twice and the AC compressor twice under warranty and that kind of stuff adds up fast. Now I'm hitting the wear and tear items like tie rods, shocks, ball joints, calipers, etc. which is to be expected. I would be confident with the engine and transmission... it's the electronics that I worry about most. Rust is also just starting to show up on the truck lid near the license plate. First time I've had a Honda show rust in the approximately 5 years I own each one. My next purchase will be my 8th Civic in a row.

FWIW - my 2002 was my favourite and the 2006 was the worst. Right now the 2022 sits at about 75% on my "like-O-meter".
Old 08-25-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

When the designs for the 11thgen came out, I thought, "meh.."

Saw one in the wild and immediately said, "eww, no, hard pass." I'll be driving my 2018 into the ground like I did my 2002. That is, unless, I can get ahold of a Type R for not an arm and my left... leg at MSRP or less due to whatever depreciation.

Needless to say, the honeymoon phase still isn't over with this car after 4 years
Old 08-25-2021
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
. That is, unless, I can get ahold of a Type R
Buy the type r crate engine from honda and stuff it in your car.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39169/you-can-finally-buy-a-honda-civic-type-r-crate-engine-complete-with-an-ecu-and-wiring-harness
Old 09-29-2021
Registered!!

518|A.|HATCHx2| is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a 2017 hatchback EX, got it with 5 miles on it, sonic gray pearl. Never wanted to give her up. I (stupidly) took a chance and got a 2021 HRV Sport Touring (YUCK), I admit I was intrigued at first, but for almost $26,000 WORST car I've ever driven. Fast Forward 1 month into owning the car, crazy monsoon rainstorm, hydroplaned down a literal straight shoot road not even going 60 mph, my civic used to tear through in snow (I live in NY), but flew in the air like movie ****, landed on a pile of stacked cement broke my back. As soon as I could I was on the hunt for a 17 Hatch because honestly, the trim alone beats all other models, plus the handling. Everything about it decided I wanted it back. This was this past July, now I knew the 22 Hatch was supposed to go on sale Sept., after the sedan in Aug., with the Si supposedly following late October. Now I could easily go to the dealer right then get the 21 hatchbacks and go home boom done, but every dealer just basically bought up whatever was left of the 10th gen in sonic gray pearl and dropped that price tag real low, so everyone and their cousin had a 10th gen hatch. And I was used to being that person that drove the car that really NO ONE had when I originally purchased my baby back in May 2017. That color was NEVER seen around here was such a head-turner. I had the chance to see the 11th gen. up close and personal last month(never was a fan of the standard sedan) but I was enamored immediately. The minimalistic/classy approach. Then I obsessively watched any video I could find of the hatchback trims/specs. I called every dealer between here and VT looking for an incoming 22 Hatchback Sport Touring in Sonic Gray Pearl, NO ONE except for ONE literally one dealership in NYS (at least that I found, and specifically for sonic gray pearl) had any incoming that they could say through rest of 2021. I put a $5,000 reservation on that B**** that day, without even getting any set pricing info because the pricing wasn't released by Honda yet. I got an email from my salesman on 9/20 with pricing, (also was exactly as mentioned on the Honda article I read also, didn't spike due to demand or anything), the production date is to be completed by mid-October, with delivery approx. 2-4 weeks from whatever that date is. For me it was either get another 2017 or 2022, never cared for the rims on the newer models since 2017. I honestly, feel some type of way about the current rims, will probably plasti-dip/ or completely blackout. I wish they just kept the 2017 rims throughout. The roof even has a smoother finish to help with weather-related chipping/rust spots etc. If your 2017 is still kicking a** and all that KEEP IT. Mine was at 180,000, just got new tires, and was still scraping Series weirdos. I wish I never let my 17 go, to begin with, and had the opportunity to wait it out, but the 2022 hatchback sport touring truly is a dream, and no well-kept 2017's insight. Run that thang till the wheels fall off then get the next gen. hatch. They only get better and better my friend.