Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

Required Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mmitsch is an unknown quantity at this point
Required Maintenance

Our son has a 2015 Civic EX Sedan. It has about 27,000 miles on it. I was wondering if some of you could help with the following / give advice?

1. Does the transmission fluid need to be changed at 30,000 miles? It does in our Odyssey van, just want to be sure. If so how much does it take?
2. It needs new tires soon and we were wondering if you have any recommendations?
3. Any specific things to watch for / take care of to ensure a long life for the car?

Let me know and thanks!
Old 05-04-2019
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Required Maintenance

Originally Posted by mmitsch
Our son has a 2015 Civic EX Sedan. It has about 27,000 miles on it. I was wondering if some of you could help with the following / give advice?

1. Does the transmission fluid need to be changed at 30,000 miles? It does in our Odyssey van, just want to be sure. If so how much does it take?
2. It needs new tires soon and we were wondering if you have any recommendations?
3. Any specific things to watch for / take care of to ensure a long life for the car?

Let me know and thanks!
Fluid is cheap compared to a transmission. 4 years old its time for drain & fill on the transmission You didnt specify if its an Automatic or manual if its a manual 1 drain & fill will be fine on the other hand if its an Automatic transmision to properly do a good thorough clean internally you should do a minimum of 3 drain and fills a few days of driving apart on each drain and fill before draining fluid. and Only use the Honda fluid reason being Hondas are Fluid specific like many vehicles now a days.
Old 05-04-2019
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

At only 27k? If following the maintenance minder, I'd expect it to be coded A or B plus numbers 1 and probably 2 (2 typically shows up around this mileage, if not at the previous service interval).......in your manual it will list these as #2 air and cabin filters, the usual oil change or oil and filter change, and tire rotate ---but as always use your head-----inspect first---if the tires are shot, then it makes no sense to rotate them if they really need to be replaced. Same for filters, inspect and decide if needed.

We still suggest servicing the trans every 30k even though the minder system may not suggest it this early

time wise, brake fluid service is recommended every 3 years-- regardless of mileage

plus normal inspections and whatever needs are found during the inspections
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
Fluid is cheap compared to a transmission. 4 years old its time for drain & fill on the transmission You didnt specify if its an Automatic or manual if its a manual 1 drain & fill will be fine on the other hand if its an Automatic transmision to properly do a good thorough clean internally you should do a minimum of 3 drain and fills a few days of driving apart on each drain and fill before draining fluid. and Only use the Honda fluid reason being Hondas are Fluid specific like many vehicles now a days.
Sorry, it's an automatic. I was planning to have a drain / fill done with the upcoming oil change. Do you think I should do 3? If so I will. Want my son to have the car for a LONG time.

And thanks for the response!
Old 08-22-2019
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
At only 27k? If following the maintenance minder, I'd expect it to be coded A or B plus numbers 1 and probably 2 (2 typically shows up around this mileage, if not at the previous service interval).......in your manual it will list these as #2 air and cabin filters, the usual oil change or oil and filter change, and tire rotate ---but as always use your head-----inspect first---if the tires are shot, then it makes no sense to rotate them if they really need to be replaced. Same for filters, inspect and decide if needed.

We still suggest servicing the trans every 30k even though the minder system may not suggest it this early

time wise, brake fluid service is recommended every 3 years-- regardless of mileage

plus normal inspections and whatever needs are found during the inspections

Thanks for the response! I am getting the transmission fluid drained and filled (it's near 30K now) and will ask to have the brake fluid changed too. Do you think I should have the transmission fluid changed 3X (2 drain / fills)? The other person who responded suggested that.

Thanks for your response!
Old 08-24-2019

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response! I am getting the transmission fluid drained and filled (it's near 30K now) and will ask to have the brake fluid changed too. Do you think I should have the transmission fluid changed 3X (2 drain / fills)? The other person who responded suggested that.

Thanks for your response!
You probably don't have contaminated fluid and you didn't say it has a trans problem, so my opinion is no

At our shop the routine maintenance ATF fluid service is one drain and fill.

Your car has very low mileage and most likely zero trans problems, so one drain and fill should be sufficient at this time

If you really want to do more trans fluid service, you could simply do a trans drain and fill along with every other oil change, or every third oil change, or however often you want.
Old 08-24-2019
Registered!!

You probably don't have contaminated fluid and you didn't say it has a trans problem, so my opinion is no

At our shop the routine maintenance ATF fluid service is one drain and fill.

Your car has very low mileage and most likely zero trans problems, so one drain and fill should be sufficient at this time

If you really want to do more trans fluid service, you could simply do a trans drain and fill along with every other oil change, or every third oil change, or however often you want.
Thanks for getting back with me!

Have a great weekend!
Old 08-25-2019

Thanks for getting back with me!

Have a great weekend!
Was this for a 2015 with CVT trans? (I did not scroll to the top of thread to check until now)

They use yet another very special fluid Honda HCF-2, and correct fluid level is critical.
There is no dipstick, and there is a specific set of procedures for checking fluid level.
Old 08-25-2019
Registered!!

Was this for a 2015 with CVT trans? (I did not scroll to the top of thread to check until now)

They use yet another very special fluid Honda HCF-2, and correct fluid level is critical.
There is no dipstick, and there is a specific set of procedures for checking fluid level.
Yes, for a 2015 EX Sedan and it does have a CVT. I will be sure to get the HCF-2 and appreciate your help!

Have a a great week!