Oil Change pre-requisites

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloupha is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Change pre-requisites

Hello,

I am getting ready to do my first oil change, and I need your help with the oil. Which one should I use and how many do I need for my 2015 Civic EXL? A model number would be great.

According to the manual (page 364), using a genuine Honda Motor oil is recommended, but I could use a different commercial engine oil provided it has a suitable viscosity as the Genuine Honda Motor Oil. I have been reading online and read some passionate exchanges for and against (more like "not necessary") using a genuine Honda oil. Since this is my first oil change, I'll simply go with the manual's recommendation.

I know I need to get 0W-20, and it needs to be API certified.

I find these two on Amazon.com, not sure if they are the right one I need:
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2018
Registered!!

Re: Oil Change pre-requisites

Hello - I am just looking for an update on this post. I am looking to do the oil change in the next few hours, and I need to know which oil to buy.
Old 09-07-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Just about any 0w20 will be ok IMO. No matter what brand, all 0w20 is considered semi-synthetic or better.
Mobil-1 is always a trusted brand, and Kendall and Pennzoil offer great oils too.
Exxon-Mobil and Conoco-Phillips (google to see what other brand names those companies make) have been blending oil to Hondas specifications, and supplying that oil to dealerships for years.

What's at your local Walmart? I'd grab Mobil-1 Synthetic or Kendall GT1 Max.
Get a 5 quart jug, you'll need around 4 quarts of it for your oil change.

Which oil do I use in my own car (12 Civic purchased new) and the rest of the family fleet I take care of? The bulk oil from the tanks at my dealership. The 0w20 is a full synthetic that is blended to Hondas specs by Conoco-Phillips and we have had zero lubrication problems with it.

HTH
Old 09-08-2018
Registered!!

rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

mobile one yes i used before great oil dont beleive i have seen any kendall oil not that one anyway over on my side of canada am i wrong? when im shoping for oil i will buy what ever 5w20 is cheaper synthetic of coarse quaker state Pennzoil castrol all are exellent just use synthetic oil for best protection on your engine honda oil is good to but could be pricey if your going to the stealer dealer.
Old 09-08-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

To answer some of the questions in your first post...

Page 354 of your manual says 3.9 quarts of oil with an oil filter change.

The most cost efficient way I've always done oil changes is scoping out Autozone's oil sales. 5 quarts of oil and a filter for usually 30-35 bucks. My most current oil change (granted, 2018 civic, not 2015, but same oil type and filter; in fact, same filter my 2002 used, too) was 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum with a Mobil1 M1-110 filter for... 33 bucks before tax? Something like that. Stupid cheap.

Just looked up the price for Pennzoil Platinum Autozone, and it's $9.49 per quart. That's $37.96 for 4 quarts (or $37.99 for the 5-quart jug). Tack on another $14.99 for the filter, and that would've come out to $57.32 after tax (sales tax in Vegas is 8.25%).

Another look at Autozone's website: $29.99 for Mobil1 Full synthetic with a Mobil1 filter (up to $14.99). There's your oil change right there on the cheap. That'd be $32.46 after tax for me.
Old 09-08-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

He's up in Canada apparently. So watch for sales at Canadian Tire, Walmart, PartSource, etc.
And you need to buy 0w20 not 5w20
Old 09-08-2018
Registered!!

Nope, I am in Raleigh, NC.

Thank you, everyone, you have been most helpful.

I think I'll get a Mobile 1 oil, but I see there are different ones. Is there any value in getting one over the other?
  • Annual Protection (20k miles or one full year between oil changes-guaranteed)
  • Extended Performance (15k miles between oil changes)
  • Advanced fuel economy
There are other ones but based on what I've researched so far, those seem the most likely choices for my less than 60k miles vehicle.

I was just looking at an invoice from PepBoys, and they quoted me 74.99 Using Pennzoil Full Synthetic EBOX and Purolator Tech Oil Filter with free tire rotation. I refused the service, but I am now thinking this quote wasn't that bad?

Thanks

Last edited by Aloupha; 09-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-08-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Advanced fuel economy
I'd use this one, though any are plenty adequate for the cars needs.

Do you follow your cars maintenance minder (wrench symbol@ 15% oil life), or do you change oil every x number of miles according to the Jizzylube sticker on the windshield, or do you ignore those and change oil according to some other schedule?

FWIW my dealer charges about 40 for a standard 0w20 oil change and another 20 for tire rotation. Plus tax.
I DIY all my work though.
Old 09-08-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I'd use this one, though any are plenty adequate for the cars needs.

Do you follow your cars maintenance minder (wrench symbol@ 15% oil life), or do you change oil every x number of miles according to the Jizzylube sticker on the windshield, or do you ignore those and change oil according to some other schedule?

FWIW my dealer charges about 40 for a standard 0w20 oil change and another 20 for tire rotation. Plus tax.
I DIY all my work though.
I follow maintenance minder. I always ignore the windshield sticker and stick to the car's oil change warning messages.
Old 09-08-2018

Originally Posted by Aloupha
those seem the most likely choices for my less than 60k miles vehicle.
Vehicle mileage makes no difference to me when it comes to choosing oil. The same oil that was appropriate at 10k is still appropriate at 210k.
Others I'm sure have varying opinions. You can find a zillion opinions in any oil related thread topic on just about any car forum. Many are deeply rooted in folklore and misconceptions, few people are keeping up on the advances in modern lubrication technology.

I am running 0w20 in my 2012 Civic with 36k and the 15 CRV with 60k (both as specified by Honda) , and I run our 0w20 on my older Hondas because I believe it's better for the engine than the 5w20.
I use 0w20 in the GFs 07 Fit with 250k (re-ringed at 200k, does not use oil yet), and 0w20 in the kids 05 CRV with 170k (it consumes a fair amount of oil between changes).

I follow maintenance minder. I always ignore the windshield sticker and stick to the car's oil change warning messages.
Just about any 0w20 is fine then. I wouldn't want to try to leave oil in for 15 or 20k, but I've seen it done with our (bulk) oil by some customers.

I hope you check oil level once in a while. Many people don't for whatever reason, but it's an important routine check.
It's typical for the rate of oil consumption to increase as mileage accumulates, which isn't a big deal if you can keep up with it and keep the oil level correct, but if you neglect it too long low oil level can lead to catastrophic engine failure.
Old 09-08-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

ezone i agree on not leaving any synthetic oil too long 15-20K is way too long to leave in any Honda i use to work in a autoshop years ago when i did oil & filter changes i could always tell the difference from the ones that did extended oil changes. and the ones that didnt Just by simply taking off there oil caps and looking at How dark and stained they were. So you see how stained and dark that oil cap looks like, so imagine what the inside of the engine looks like from doing extended oil changes? keep in mind the oil Cap & dipstick are the Clues im thank full that hondas still have "oil dipsticks" to check oil level and condition because alot of the newer German vehicles i have seen dont carry it on there engines. checking oil level is on the dash screen. retarted if you ask me
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-oil-filler-for-the-car-engine-replenishing-liquids-in-the-drive-unit-place-car-works.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	112495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3370_3ef19963296877abef6e80cde9d2af19bc569f14.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	112496  

Last edited by brags; 09-09-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: added dipstick
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
I hope you check oil level once in a while. Many people don't for whatever reason, but it's an important routine check.

It's typical for the rate of oil consumption to increase as mileage accumulates, which isn't a big deal if you can keep up with it and keep the oil level correct, but if you neglect it too long low oil level can lead to catastrophic engine failure.
Unfortunately, I do not. This is mainly out of ignorance since I knew nothing about car lubrication and didn't care to learn. I let the car shop decide what oil I needed and changed the oil whenever my car told me. But that will change. I have done a lot of research in the past few days and think I know a bit more, enough to care a little bit more than I used to.
Old 09-09-2018

Unfortunately, I do not. This is mainly out of ignorance since I knew nothing about car lubrication and didn't care to learn. I let the car shop decide what oil I needed and changed the oil whenever my car told me. But that will change. I have done a lot of research in the past few days and think I know a bit more, enough to care a little bit more than I used to.
Just a FYI you can also use youtube to look up small how to-do-it-yourself repairs
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

i youtubed it brags i see what your saying i had a co-worker once in the coldest dead of winter ask me for a boost on her Audi Q5 after opening her hood and looking for the batt i couldnt find it
Old 09-09-2018

Originally Posted by rogerscivic
i youtubed it brags i see what your saying i had a co-worker once in the coldest dead of winter ask me for a boost on her Audi Q5 after opening her hood and looking for the batt i couldnt find it

to battery boost an Audi or any fancy German car the positive post is under the hood and negative cable is grounded somewhere on a post or nut Alot of the batteryies on german vehicles are hiden in the trunck and the other down side to them is they dont last. probably due to all the electronic gizmos that put alot of drain on them.

Last edited by brags; 09-09-2018 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

I am actually am very handy when it comes to fixing things or improving my car. I just for some reason never messed around with anything under the hood or the breaks stuff and tires. But I plan on changing that. I will be replacing my front struts on my Chrysler T&C soon. I have changed my Saturn sedan from manual window/lock to power. I have installed backup cameras, aftermarket stereos, bluetooth, etc...

I am pretty confident I can do some stuff if I have the proper tools.
Old 09-09-2018

I am actually am very handy when it comes to fixing things or improving my car. I just for some reason never messed around with anything under the hood or the breaks stuff and tires. But I plan on changing that. I will be replacing my front struts on my Chrysler T&C soon. I have changed my Saturn sedan from manual window/lock to power. I have installed backup cameras, aftermarket stereos, bluetooth, etc...

I am pretty confident I can do some stuff if I have the proper tools.
Cooll Civics are great reliable vehicles, and very easy to maintain if You dont mind getting a little down and dirty. its a very hands on friendly do it yourselfer kind of vehicle to maintain compared to many other vehicles, doing things like changing front or rear disc brakes that You mentioned are actually very easy to do on a Civic again Youtube it if your not sure. cheers
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

Okay, I am about to do the oil change. I just checked the current oil, and here's what it looks like. What are your thoughts? It looks very clear to me, but the level is very low. No? Last oil change was done on May 02, 18 by the dealer. I do not know what kind of oil they put it. I didn't ask.

Last edited by Aloupha; 09-09-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2018

ouch its about a tad over 1 full bottle low on oil are you Just changing oil based on the % percentage maintenance minder on your dash when to change it? and never checking oil level in-between ?
Old 09-09-2018

I just checked the current oil, and here's what it looks like. What are your thoughts? It looks very clear to me, but the level is very low. No?
Looks nice and clear, but is it really 3/4 inch above the crosshatch? Flunky lubie put in 4.5 or maybe even 5 quarts in an engine that only takes 4 quarts for an oil change?

Pull dipstick. Wipe it off. Reinsert dipstick fully, and immediately pull it out. Read level.

Last oil change was done on May 02, 18 by the dealer.
That's awfully clean looking oil in there.
How many miles have elapsed since the last oil change?
That's important info too.
Maybe flunky lubie didn't remember to reset the maintenance minder oil life. (a real common issue)
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

oh yes its low but looks clean try checking your level more often then not so it dont get down that low. lol
Old 09-09-2018
Registered!!

are you Just changing oil based on the % percentage maintenance minder on your dash when to change it? and never checking oil level in-between ?
I am ashamed to say this is the first time since I bought this car that I touched the dipstick.

That's awfully clean looking oil in there.
How many miles have elapsed since the last oil change?
That's important info too.
Maybe flunky lubie didn't remember to reset the maintenance minder oil life. (a real common issue)
The dealership must have reset maintenance minder. Otherwise, the annoying warning wouldn't have gone away.

Total miles between last oil change is 6,417 (Last oil change was at 51,246 - I am now at 57,663)

I think the oil level was that low because I looked at the dipstick after the car was already on the ramp, so the reading could be compromised I think. I also waited until the maintenance minder displayed "Service Due Now."

The oil didn't look that clean/clear after I drained it.

I was able to change the oil with ease; however, it took longer than I thought it would because I didn't have the proper tools. The oil drain bolt head size was 17 mm, and I only had up to 16 mm ratchets. My adjustable wrench couldn't get it out. I made a few rookie mistakes with oil spills and stuff, but the actual oil change itself wasn't an issue. I had problems seeing the oil level though. The liquid was so clear, I couldn't tell, but it appeared that it was below full. Since I bought a 5 quartz, I put 4 quarts in. I'll check it again after driving it to and from work tomorrow and see.

I think part of the reason I never bothered with doing the oil changes myself is that I like that the dealerships or shops I have used always checked and took care of all liquids in my car and rotated my tires for me during oil changes, so I didn't have to bother with those. If I do continue doing the oil changes myself, I'll have to be mindful of those and take care of them.
Old 09-09-2018
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I am ashamed to say this is the first time since I bought this car that I touched the dipstick.
I've made it a habit to check oil level (pull dipstick, wipe oil off, insert dipstick, wait, remove and check level) and smell the oil every gas fillup. Nothing better to do other than watch numbers rise when filling the tank, so why not?
Old 09-10-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
I've made it a habit to check oil level (pull dipstick, wipe oil off, insert dipstick, wait, remove and check level) and smell the oil every gas fillup. Nothing better to do other than watch numbers rise when filling the tank, so why not?
not everywhere has the little lock tab to hold the pump on
Old 09-10-2018

Originally Posted by Colin42
Lame excuse is lame!

Old 09-10-2018
Administrator
Administrator

Originally Posted by Colin42

Lol.
2 things though
1) Doesn't work if you have capless like 10thgen
2) Person that took the pic initially is dumb because this pump has a locking tab

bonus: I forgot some hippie states don't have lever locking tab thingers.
Old 09-10-2018

I was only bugging
I used to get gas at a card lock all the time, they had the locking tabs but no other places up here have them
Old 02-18-2019
Registered!!

Okay, so my maintenance minder is telling me I need to replace my oil again. My oil level is fine, but the oil looks dark (I'll add a picture later). I have only driven about 6k miles since my last oil change ( 09/10/18).

I used the Mobil 1 Extended Performance (15K Miles of Guaranteed Protection), which claims to be "an advanced full synthetic motor oil that keeps your engine running like new and provides protection for up to 15,000 miles between oil changes – guaranteed.*"

Do I change my oil now or do I ignore maintenance minder?
Old 02-19-2019

I wouldn't believe the marketing bs
Old 02-19-2019
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Oil can be dark and still be fine.

Best way to know for sure IMO is get the oil analyzed. Some engines do better with certain oils and the type of driving you do can impact oil life. Send a sample out and see how it performs!

Quick Reply: Oil Change pre-requisites