Regular Maintenance Post Questions/Information about Regular Maintenance here

Adding Water in Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miendude is an unknown quantity at this point
Adding Water in Radiator

Hello! My friend added some bottled water into my radiator/coolant reservoir for my 2006 Civic EX (170k miles). He added about 1 bottle (16 fluid oz) and did it because the reserve was on the low side. Then I read later in the manual to never add water... So my question is, should I be worried? Or can I just simply add the standard Honda coolant over time and get the solution in the radiator back to normal? Should I drain it and put new coolant in just to be safe? Anyway, thanks for any help.
Old 08-11-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Adding Water in Radiator

Yes you should drain it and put new coolant in make sure the mixture is correct. Also regular water will corrode the internal parts of the cooling system.

Last edited by GolNat; 08-11-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-11-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes thats Correct ...
Honda coolling systems dont like tap water mixed in, reason behind it is that it could cause corrosion. use
(- hondas Long Life Type 2 pre-mixed 50/50 coollant- ) best stuff to use.even though some guys on here may
have there own brand they rather use i will only use Hondas Type 2 coollant, like on my 08 Civic owners manual says so...

https://www.honda.ca/Content/ownerma...CIV2-238-E.PDF
Old 08-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Bottled water is probably much better than tap water LOL
One pint isn't a lot. You could check the freeze protection of the liquid in the reservoir, and compare that to the liquid in the radiator.

If water was JUST added then there will be a difference. The plastic reservoir just lifts straight up off of its bracket, dump it out and refill with fresh correct antifreeze.
If water was added days ago, it's had time to mix with the liquid in the radiator and freeze protection readings will be pretty close to the same. See if it's sufficient.

OTOH if the car hasn't had a coolant replacement service done in the last 50,000 miles, it's due for one. Just dew it.
Old 08-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
miendude is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info guys, total noob car owner so all of this helps alot! I probably won't have time to go get it flushed for like 30 days due to tight schedule, everything should be okay for that amount of time right? Commute is only about 30 miles round trip.