Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Is this an acceptable method to flush your radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eager2learn is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this an acceptable method to flush your radiator?

I thought if you use tap water, you will corrode your engine because of the impurities in the tap water.

Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is this an acceptable method to flush your radiator?

Yes and no. Scotty isn't exactly someone I'd trust with my own car LOL.

You've got what kind of crap in your cooling system already and you're worried about tap water?
Old 05-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You can take apart hoses to manually flush (rinse) the 3 main areas (radiator, engine, and heater) as you wish.

If you are trying to get stuff OUT of the system or try to solve a clogging problem, flush as you wish.
If you just want to exchange coolant, drain and fill.

I would not leave the stat out. Your engines hose configuration makes even removing the stat unnecessary if you think about where everything flows.

I would not worry about tap water in the short term, you can drain and fill the system later on to get that out.
OR if you are going to change the water pump soon the block will be emptied at that time so it's ideal to drain all areas at that time and replace with new coolant.

Corrosion or buildup from tap water will take a long time and will depend heavily on how hard your local water is.
Old 05-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
eager2learn is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Yes and no. Scotty isn't exactly someone I'd trust with my own car LOL.

You've got what kind of crap in your cooling system already and you're worried about tap water?
You know Scotty?