Replace or Rebuild Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M240B is an unknown quantity at this point
Replace or Rebuild Compressor

Greetings,

I have recently been trying to repair the A/C on a 2005 Honda Civic LX and thanks to this forum I think I am very close to achieving this. I have narrowed the problem down to what I believe is a bad field coil on the compressor. I still have to measure the resistance of the field coil but according to the service manual it has to be checked at 68 degrees Fahrenheit and it is in the mid 90s right now. I assume I can just leave the compressor in front of the window unit air conditioner to let it cool down before I measure resistance. My main question is about whether to rebuild the clutch/field coil assembly or install the new compressor that I have already purchased. From what I understand the Sanden compressors are of very good quality and if this compressor still has life in it I wounder if it would outperform the new Four Seasons compressor. This is the link to the clutch assembly that I was considering buying
Amazon Amazon
. What do you guys think?

UPDATE: Cooled the compressor down to about 70 degrees Fahrenheit and measured field coil resistance and sure enough was completely open. No continuity whatsoever.

UPDATE 2: Before I risked using the old compressor again I checked the high pressure lines by sticking a piece of shop towel in to the lines and found a gray powdery substance. So the internals of the old compressor are bad, well so much for the idea of reusing it. Now to figure out if I should flush the old lines or just replace them. Does anyone know if I have to flush the low pressure side as well? The shop towel for the low pressure side came out clean but I am not sure if it matters.

Last edited by M240B; 06-23-2019 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-23-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Replace or Rebuild Compressor

I replaced one on a 6th gen last year. On that generation Honda used two OEM manufacturers Sanden and Hitachi (IIRC) Anyway not sure it applies to 7th gen. I ordered the coil (for Sanden) from a place in Texas..it was hard to find. AutoZone carries some aftermarket coils. Always used ones in local or online sites such as used-parts.com.
Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

Thanks for the advice but I will not be reusing the old Sanden compressor. Decided to flush system and install new Four Seasons compressor.
Old 06-23-2019
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by M240B
Thanks for the advice but I will not be reusing the old Sanden compressor. Decided to flush system and install new Four Seasons compressor.
Replacing the dryer too?
Old 06-23-2019
Registered!!

I am replacing the compressor, drier, expansion valve, and condenser.