Engine start problems Post issues with engine start here. Does not start, does not run, etc.

Crank but no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Techie is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank but no start

Hi,

Seeking advice for my 03 civic EX with 213K miles which isn't starting out of the blue. I'm logical with computers and following directions but very little car mechanic experience/tools/knowledge.

My vehicle is 03 civic which was being driven with no problems or check engine light. After sitting for four days I went to start it Monday evening and it cranked but that's it. I tried jumping it which I'm good at but no effect. As my neighbors agreed it seems to have plenty of power as all lights turn on the dash board so maybe not the battery at all. Next I checked the gas level and it had eighth of a tank, so not empty. At my father's suggestion I added dry gas and five gallons of fuel just in case of frozen fuel line, as there was some ice on the car, but since then it has been above freezing for a few days and there's no ice left on the car and it's now at half full with dry gas added and still doesn't start. I did listen for the fuel pump turning on for two seconds and then off and I do hear that. All other interior electronics turn on as normal. There's no check engine light. It just cranks perfectly and normally except the part where it never starts.

I have been searching other threads but they all seem to have additional variables that don't exist in my case and I'm not sure how transferable the recommendations are. Greatly appreciate any recommendations of relatively simple things to check to hopefully save money before having it towed to my regular mechanic.

Thanks,
Techie

Last edited by Techie; 01-14-2021 at 05:24 PM.

Top Answer

01-15-2021
BrotatoChip
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: Crank but no start

Are you seeing a green key symbol flashing in the cluster when trying to start? Immobilizer could be preventing the start, but would crank as normal. Another thought, maybe the fuel pump took a crap so the engine is starving.
Old 01-14-2021
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

Due to lack of CEL, the cold, and the sudden nature of the incident, I would still look at the battery.

-how is it cranking/how does the starter engage? Is it a low slow uerrr... uerrr. Or a fast er,er,er,err,err?

If you have a volt meter the battery should measure 11-12v while the engine is off. 13-14v engine on. But this won't show cca amperage. You can have full accessories without being able to start if you loose col crank amps.
The following users liked this post:
Techie (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

-Try jumping the car by connecting it to a large SUV or truck.

-before you attempt a start, have the SUV hold their rpm at 2000 for 1 minute, while youre connected.

then try to start the car.
Techie (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021
Registered!!

mac25, thank you so much for your suggestions. I have had bad batteries where the errr sound was slower (and sometimes lights were dim or flickering, and sometimes not even any cranking), but this sounded like normal speed. I don't have a volt meter. When I attempted to jump the battery, I did use an SUV, a 2004 honda pilot (6-CYL). I connected then started the pilot then tried the dead civic. When civic didn't start, I left them connected for like ten minutes and tried again. When it still didn't start, I revved the working Pilot engine by pressing the gas pedal for a minute or so. Still didn't start. It's not super cold, highs in the low 30s most days (my dad didn't know, lives in a warmer state). My neighbor kid said he has a battery tester but he didn't think it was my problem, but I can borrow it I'm sure.
Old 01-14-2021
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Might be flooded? Try cranking it with the gas pedal to the floor. This cuts off the injectors and allows as much air into the cylinders as possible.
If the above doesn't help try the same procedure using "Starter" spray into the throttle body during cranking.
If that doesn't help then remove and inspect the spark plugs (may be wet from fuel?). While the plugs are out add a cap-full of oil to each cylinder, install plugs and try cranking with gas pedal to the floor.
Old 01-15-2021
Registered!!

Thanks HR, I will try all of these. However before seeing your comment, based on the previous commenter's response/advice, my neighbor loaned me his battery tester which showed yellow zone for weak, then loaned me a battery reconditioner. The battery is now in my house and will sit on the reconditioner for 24 hours, and then do a full charge after that. It also has an alternator tester so I'll use that after reinstalling the battery. Before getting the battery tester, I had also removed the engine air filter and checked fuel injector and ignition fuses, mostly because those were things I could figure out by myself - no dice tho. Once the battery is back in, I'll try it regular, then try the gas pedal, starter fluid with gas pedal, and spark plugs and gas pedal again as you suggested and report back. Thanks again!
Old 01-15-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,874 Likes on 1,319 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Are you seeing a green key symbol flashing in the cluster when trying to start? Immobilizer could be preventing the start, but would crank as normal. Another thought, maybe the fuel pump took a crap so the engine is starving.
Old 01-15-2021
Registered!!

Thanks Brotato. Interesting thought about the immobilizer. Two original keys and a valet key came with the car and my mom permanently lost one of the original keys. The other day I couldn't find my other original key in my house so I used the valet key. I still haven't found the original key yet but the valet key always worked before to drive it, just not to unlock the back seat or trunk. In my 2004 Pilot, an unprogrammed key does start the vehicle, it just shuts off in a few seconds. But when I get the battery back in the car I'll look for that symbol because I think I did see it but didn't think anything of it because I think all the lights light up when the car is not started? Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2021
Registered!!

It's a mystery to me why, since it's worked the ten years I've had the car, but...prize to Brotato for thinking of the key, because that was the problem!! I simply found my other key and it worked!! Only the one I was using didn't. I guess everything goes bad eventually, but I really thought a bad key would still start and then shut off (like it does in my 04 Pilot)...guess not in this car! Very grateful to everyone who commented, not to mention everyone who keeps this forum running - thanks again everyone!! Feeling so relieved this saga is resolved.
BrotatoChip (01-19-2021)
Old 01-16-2021
Registered!!

OK I just thought about it and I think I know why my key stopped working...it didn't actually go bad. Turns out I had purchased a honda key programmer for when my Pilot had lost keys last summer, and was testing it on my civic because it wasn't working on the Pilot at all, and I wasn't sure if it was broken or what. It must have actually reprogrammed the civic key even though I thought I stopped the process soon enough. So that's why the valet key no longer works. I guess that programmer worked afterall although never worked for my Pilot so I sent it back. Glad to know the key didn't go bad because that would be random. Wow, I feel so silly now. But again it's weird that unprogrammed keys will start my 04 Pilot (but cut right off), so I never would have thought an unprogrammed key would act differently in my 03 civic. But there you have it. All I need to do now is call the various honda dealers around and see which one will reprogram my key for the least amount. Yay! Once again, I'm indebted to this site, you all saved me a TON of time and money from a tow and mechanics fees! And here I thought I was crazy for not just towing it. Thanks again!
Old 01-18-2021
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

You would have had the flashing green immobilizer indicator on in the dash to indicate that the your valet key is not recognizable.
From Owner's Manual: "If the indicator starts to blink, it means the system does not recognize the coding of the key."
You don't want to lose that last remaining key now.